Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Christmas Holidays Road Warning (Non-Graphic)

Hey all,

First off, Merry Christmas!

There we go, I've been waiting all year to do that

As some of you know I work for DCS (Department of Community Safety) and we support the Queensland Ambulance and Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.

The following images were passed on to me by a co-worker, and I thought that considering we are now full swing into the 'silly season', it would be a good idea to remind people what can happen on the roads.

Below pic looks like a nice bike, yes? Before Semi-Trailer:

After Semi-Trailer:

The chap who was involved managed to survive this, with a broken wrist and broken arm (from what I am told). The bike hit it that hard that the bullbar of the truck was almost snapped right off, as the bike hit the bottom of it, bending it forward.

Let us all take care this Christmas, be forgiving on the roads, stay safe and most of all, enjoy ourselves

Merry Christmas,

GSAU

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

A 15% decrease in the road toll could be achieved by banning bikes. There is no secondary safety for a bike rider.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
A 15% decrease in the road toll could be achieved by banning bikes. There is no secondary safety for a bike rider.
Agreed
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
does that mean an 85% decrease in the toll could be achieved by banning everything other than a bike??

intelligent comment.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good message, but I think that Christmas road use advertisments should not focus on:
1) carnage
2) speeding
3) points
4) fines
5) and even reviver stops (although this is a good message)

But rather a strong message about being aware of all other road users.
1) Give way,
2) keep left,
3) indicate (sufficiently in advance and at the appropriate times)
4) don't travel in another's blind spot
5) dip your lights (only use foggies in foggy weather, and then not within 300m of another car)
6) overtake decisively, in fact drive decisively
7) drive at a consistent speed (I had a guy pass me three times in the length of the M7 and once on the M5 - I did not adjust my cruise control and neither of us stopped)

Also ....
My employer asked me to take the two weeks off over the year end period.
Could we ban professional drivers in heavy vehicles (class 3b and above, excluding public transport) for the week that includes xmas and NY , and maybe, say, the first weekend and last weekend of school holidays (by state) - or whenever the statistically highest accident rate is.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
does that mean an 85% decrease in the toll could be achieved by banning everything other than a bike??

intelligent comment.
Touche'
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:

intelligent comment.
If we ban them both we'll have a 100% decrease. Awsome!! Lets tell Harold Scruby!

Looks like the rider was lucky to have come off his bike before it went under the truck.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Could we ban professional drivers in heavy vehicles (class 3b and above, excluding public transport) for the week that includes xmas and NY , and maybe, say, the first weekend and last weekend of school holidays (by state) - or whenever the statistically highest accident rate is.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
If we ban them both we'll have a 100% decrease. Awsome!! Lets tell Harold Scruby!
Even better, how about we ban the road toll? It'll result in a 100% decrease, everyone will have a clear conscience, the government/police/car industry will continue to thrive and best of all nobody will have to spend a single dollar!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

intelligent comment.
That deserves rep points.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
kniever
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
That deserves rep points.
also agreed!!!
kniever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

next person who asks for a 'ban' in here needs a 'holiday' from the forums ;)...

what is with the obsession of BANNNG things now days? this really really annoys me, yes there is a road toll, people are always going to die on the roads, once again there is evolution coming into play, if your not strong and that also means witted then you have a less likelihood of surviving facts of life.

on topic, thanks for the post, unbelievable impact from that hit you didnt state who was at fault but I'm guessing the bike cutting the corner?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Here, here, a safe christmas to all.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
next person who asks for a 'ban' in here needs a 'holiday' from the forums ;)...
Quite true, we need to get with the times and have an "War on"
Insert minority group being targeted....
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post