Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Eibach Shocks, Struts and Anti Roll Bars fitted

Just had them fitted today. The Eibach pro kit springs were already installed, so everything is now tuned to match.

Hard to tell how good they are yet, as it's ****ing down in Melbourne, and my front tyres have no grip whatsoever, so I don't want to push it too hard.
(New Dunlop Direzza Star Specs being fitted tomorrow)

However, the technician who did the work today (Cameron McConville's JaxQuikfit store) is raving about the setup after his final test drive. Reckons it's the best handling hatch he's been in

First impression though is that I'm going to have to re-learn how to steer the car!!!!!!

Steering is very direct, and noticeably flatter through a corner.

If anything, it even feels a little "oversteer-y" (if there is such a word). I think the more direct steering combined with the Quaife ATB diff means if I turn too aggressively into the corner it will turn more than I expect. Basically, I don't have to steer into a corner as much as I used to. (remembering too that my shocks had gone, so the car has been wallowing a bit lately)

My overall feeling is very positive though. I think with the new suspension, stickier tyres and an ECU reset of my brain (!), it will be great!

Can't wait for a dry road to get a real sense of the improvement. I'll keep you posted.

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

Last edited by melbzetec; 10-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Excellent news dude! I think now you'll see what the quaife has to offer. Lay the power down just before the apex and it will pull you through (i'm sure you knew that already though)

I drove an XR5 with a quaife and bilsteins. Joisus. It was special!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Talldude

Nice work!

I have been tossing up between eibach sways or svt brake kit, might have to get both............
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
melbzetec

Got the tyres on this morning. They are brilliant!!!! I'm going to love this new setup

The car is back at JaxQuikfit for a rear camber adjustment now....and Cameron McConville drove it back from my place to the store!!!!
Can't wait to hear what he thinks of it. Says his mechanic has been raving about the handling.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Cam drove your car!? I'm sure he would've loved it - Full Eibach kit + Direzza's = massive win.

I knew you'd be impressed with the handling. Matched shocks and springs made such a big difference to my car (to the point where I'd probably never consider upgrading springs without paired shocks in the future).
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Interesting write steve as I'm waiting to get mine installed as well. I got a track day in feb so it would be good to see how she handles then.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
melbzetec

You'll love it Sean.

Now as I'm getting used to it, it literally is the old "handles like it's on rails"

It's direct, confident, sure footed. Just beautiful to drive

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve, need pictures of your car. Withdrawal symptoms!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

...Including pics of the new tread please!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

as the saying goes.... PICS OR BAN

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
melbzetec

Jeez.....tough crowd here!

Since I don't want to be banned....here's a couple of shots.

Here's a glimpse of the new ARB's

And some tyre tread shots

Car is filthy at the moment, but will take some new shots once it's cleaned up for the car shows in the next few weeks

Last edited by melbzetec; 13-01-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Looking really good Steve!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You must be so happy with your car at the moment. Looking great! Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
melbzetec

It's a big call, but I'd have to say this is probably the best mod I've made to the car. (and I've made a few!)

Every day I'm loving it more and more. The handling is brilliant and I'm loving every drive. The tyres also have stiffer sidewalls, which is also helping with the direct feel

Forget what I said about "oversteer" in the first post...I just needed to get used to it. This is a great mod.