Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Skid Marx

Default Focus XR5 Suddenly Wouldn't Start!

2010 LV XR5 about 5800 ks. Already had an ABS tone wheel failure which was fixed under warranty about 2 months ago.

Today, after filling the tank I get in with my keys in my pocket as I always do and pressed the start button once to make the instrument panel light up then press it again to start the donk but no dice! I let the clutch up and pressed it down again just to make sure its switch was activating and tried again. Nothing. Dead. I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked and got in an and went through the whole thing again and again it wouldn't get past the first half where the instrument panel lights up.

Feeling embarrassed, I pushed my barely 7 month old car away from the petrol pumps and tried again. This time it started so I drove straight home rather than go shopping as I had intended because I just wasn't confident she'd start again.

Anyone else had similar experiences? I was inside the car with the doors all closed at the time this all happened. UFOs?

Skid Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
entheos

Were there any error messages on the Red LCD? anything like 'Key not detected' or something like that? If so, try holding the key fob close to where the ignition barrel would normally be....hopefully if this works it's just the battery in the key fob....if it's not that...it could be a number of things, including a dodgy starter button...I would be calling ford and telling them to come and pick it up, or if you can start it, do so, drive it to your ford dealer and tell them to fix it. :P

I know it's annoying...but better in the service bay taking up room....it'll get fixed quicker that way. :P
Old 30-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Skid Marx

I don't think I saw any error messages on the instrument panel - and that's where I was looked first to see what might be wrong. I checked the remote keyring battery voltage with a meter this morning and that was fine (just over 3 volts). The starter button seemed to toggle the first stage on and off well enough so I don't suspect that yet. I'm wondering if stray radio signals can jamb it's system. That's a bit of a worry because all the doors were closed and of course the keys were close to the centre of the cabin where you'd think they were pretty shielded from outside interference.
Old 30-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
entheos

strange....as I said..if it happens again....move the key to near where the ignition barrel would normally be.....then it's either the fob itself(not necessarily battery) not giving off enough signal, or the reciever not reading strongly enough.....if that still doesn't work, it's probably the button(if there's no activity at all on the dash) or another part of the starter system...
Old 30-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Mine will do this in rare occasions but not to the point where it won't start after several goes.
I think i know what causes mine though, I have a large-ish dog tag as a key ring and if the tag is folded against side of the key fob it sometimes doesn't pick it up.

If it keeps doing it, I'd take it to get looked at. Electrical gremlins are a PITA.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
I think i know what causes mine though, I have a large-ish dog tag as a key ring and if the tag is folded against side of the key fob it sometimes doesn't pick it up.
That thought crossed my mind too as I also have a few handy keys (house, garage door etc) on that fob too. I wonder that if you're unlucky enough, they could sit across the transmitting coil and block out the signal. Never considered that before.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I didn't see the "Key not Detected" message and earlier today when I tried starting it up with the keys well away from the car I didn't even get to the 'instrument lights on' stage. I wonder if the clutch down switch is dicky because that will give the same symptoms.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
entheos

the clutch down switch will only stop it from starting....if you're getting no dash activity at all that's the button or key not being detected. if the keys are in the car and you push the power button you should still get activity on the dash no matter wether the clutch is depressed or not....
Old 30-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check your negative battery terminal and make sure it's properly seated and tightened correctly.

It's quite common for them to loosen themselves off due to a poor design.

90% of the time when XR5 Foci' come in with screwy electrical problems like that the cause is the battery terminal.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Check your negative battery terminal and make sure it's properly seated and tightened correctly.
OK, I'll check that out tomorrow morning. It did crank over quite fast when it did come good - so I'm tending to think the battery connections will be OK.

Oh and 'entheos', I may have confused the issue with my long winded description but the instrument lights were actually coming on with the original fault so the clutch down switch still looks suspicious to my mind.
Old 31-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty much all of the ones with loose terminals that come in still crank and drive fine, they just come up with warning lights or messages on the screen and have odd problems like yours.

Just to eliminate it as a possibility I'd undo it and make sure it's pressed all the way down and retighten. I don't know why but they always seem to work themselves loose. None of the other Focus' have the problem, just XR5s.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
exlr8

I have had a similar key issue with my LS (keyed model). I would attempt to unlock the car after sitting for a few weeks and nothing. Try the spare set of keys, nothing. Put the good old key into the door, open it. Keys into the ignition and off it goes. It has happened twice in over 4 years I've had it. Only after sitting around for a few weeks though.
exlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Pretty much all of the ones with loose terminals that come in still crank and drive fine, they just come up with warning lights or messages on the screen and have odd problems like yours.
OK, I finally remembered to check the terminals* and they were tight and showed no corrosion. I loosened them, worked them back and forth a few times and re-tightened. I also checked that flat bar type connection that runs down the front end of the battery and it seemed tight and fine. Is that just a big diode to protect against reverse connection?

It hasn't faulted since that incident 5 days ago so it might have been constipation.

*Embarrassment! I lifted the bonnet and asked myself "Where's the bloody battery then?" It's under a plastic cover isn't it. Posh eh?
Old 17-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
frozen xr5

lv 2010 xr5 had a similar problem would not start. steering lock was jamed. screen displayed "steering Fault". it was towed to ford and i dont know what they did but all good now

shane
frozen xr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #14
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen xr5
lv 2010 xr5 had a similar problem would not start. steering lock was jamed. screen displayed "steering Fault". it was towed to ford and i dont know what they did but all good now shane
Hmmm, my steering lock certainly wasn't activated because I had to steer it around a corner when it died and I didn't see any fault messages. But thanks for telling what happened because it helps build up a knowledge of the problem.