Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
gh172

Default Wheels magazine.

I consider myself a bit of a car nut. Over the years I've spent far too much time thinking about, and reading about cars. I've always got a motoring magazine subscription on the go so i think it's fair too say I'm reasonably educated as to the goings on in the motoring world. When it came to buying a new family car I spent a good twelve months researching which way we would go given our budget and circumstances. This is a process I enjoy. My wife didn't want to be driving around a people mover, 4WD or huge sedan. I still ran them by her anyway. In the end it was a matter I finding a car that sat somewhere in between. The medium car class was the obvious route. With that in mind there was just nothing that came close to the Diesel Mondeo. The room inside , the beautiful drive, the massive boot, exceptional fuel economy for a car of it's size, excellent build quality and attractive looks. An excellent all rounder and car that should be walking out the door. I'm a Volkswagen driver myself so I'm certainly not biased toward Fords in any way.
The reason I'm ranting on is because I was reading the latest copy of wheels magazine and was annoyed to see a section listing their choice for the top 5 Medium cars and the Mondeo doesn't get a mention. I'm staggered by that because had there been a better medium sized car than the the Mondeo my wife would be driving it! Thing is, people place a lot of weight on their opinion when choosing a car and God knows Ford Australia does bugger all to promote the car!

Last edited by gh172; 19-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
gh172 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
scribbly

Yeah, I saw that article (waiting room at the Dentist) and wondered what had happened to the Mondeo. Maybe with your subscription you can pose the question to Wheels.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
I consider myself a bit of a car nut. Over the years I've spent far too much time thinking about, and reading about cars. I've always got a motoring magazine subscription on the go so i think it's fair too say I'm reasonably educated as to the goings on in the motoring world. When it came to buying a new family car I spent a good twelve months researching which way we would go given our budget and circumstances. This is a process I enjoy. My wife didn't want to be driving around a people mover, 4WD or huge sedan. I still ran them by her anyway. In the end it was a matter I finding a car that sat somewhere in between. The medium car class was the obvious route. With that in mind there was just nothing that came close to the Diesel Mondeo. The room inside , the beautiful drive, the massive boot, exceptional fuel economy for a car of it's size, excellent build quality and attractive looks. An excellent all rounder and car that should be walking out the door. I'm a Volkswagen driver myself so I'm certainly not biased toward Fords in any way.
The reason I'm ranting on is because I was reading the latest copy of wheels magazine and was annoyed to see a section listing their choice for the top 5 Medium cars and the Mondeo doesn't get a mention. I'm staggered by that because had there been a better medium sized car than the the Mondeo my wife would be driving it! Thing is, people place a lot of weight on their opinion when choosing a car and God knows Ford Australia does bugger all to promote the car!

Congrats on the fine rides.

It's a real shame that Australian Jurno's really have a problem with having 2 manufacturing brands here in australia. I'm sure they helped the demise of Mitzu here with so much NEGATIVE publicity, and i'm sure they are now focusing their attempts to get rid of FORD AUS as well.

One question comes to mind, if the mondeo had a circle with a lion in it, how much xtra attention would wheels/Motor be giving it?...... I'm sure they'd go out of their way to make sure it's in the best of medium class, with special mentions on how good it is.

It gives me the S_its.... because you are correct in people may research and test drive from these mags.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
Nothing wheels publishes is a surprise , I expect the ole' pay for comments still applies over there and hence I distrust the commentary forth coming , if I were to make an error in purchasing a car it rests on my head and not reliance on the opinions of a cub reporter with a chip on there shoulder .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels has had a Holden bias forever and I doubt that will ever change. And their standards of motoring journalism have steadily gone downhill over the last 10 years - about the only issue that I buy now is COTY.

To be fair though, the Mondeo did come second in COTY the year it was released.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Would agree with apparent Holden bias from Wheels magazine...for 30+yrs.

Once upon a time, in the dark 1970s, they would publish graphs of enigne power and torque over the rev range, along with comprehensive vehicle specs. Nowadays, I find the vehicle tests just disappointing content-wise. The exception seems to be the annnual COTY tests.

Or maybe I'm just out of step with todays car buyers, which might explain why I hover around the newsagent waiting for the next Practical Classics, and ended my Wheels subscripton over 10yrs ago.

About the only time I read the magazine is when I'm waiting......at the dentist

Daily drive - Mondeo MB XR5T in snoozy silver...fantastic for the price
(with 4 other Fords, a Subaru, 3 Hondas other the last 30yrs)
Other drive - Capri 3000GT 1970
.......both with 3-pedals........
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you guys ever wondered that the fault maybe Ford Australia!. Ford haven't pushed the Mondeo from day one, if it cannot supply its own customers how in the hell is Wheels or online car sites going to report on their cars did it ever occurred to Ford that if it got in a MC Titanium Hatch for the Sydney Motor Show to show future customers and after the show for use for journalists maybe just maybe this could have been different

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apstar, you might be interested in this: the salesperson who sold me the Mondeo was from Australia, and mentioned that Ford NZ sell as many Mondeos as are sold in all of Australia.

But Wheels really does have a Holden bias - there have been many examples over the years.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 21-02-2011 at 01:39 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True what its said about Wheels I only glanced at it while in the library so what has happened to Modern Motor magazine!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's been Motor for some time now. Don't even waste your energy picking it up!
Old 21-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

apstar - supply of vehicles is one well known issue from Ford Oz, translates to lost sales and (yes probably) availability for test drive/reviews.
Magazine reporting style is another.

Modern Motor did become Motor magazine....and changed focus along the way. I used to buy Wheels, Motor, Practical Classics and Aust Classic Car (all at the same time). Lost interest in all others except Practical Classics, and not just because PC covers old cars.
Just my opinion.

Interesting comment about Oz sales Vs Kiwi sales numbers ('tho many factors involved).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
G6E Turbo 2

Yes well what would you expect from Holden , Sorry Wheels magazine
They constantly down play FORD and play up Holden in every category

I rfuse to buy or read the magazines now they **** me off way too much

John LAws and Alan Jones didnt get away with cash for comments, these
Idiots do though
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post