Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default The only video that really makes you think about it...

I'm aware there is a thread for youtube video's ect but me being a young driver, feel this is the only video i've seen that really hit home, and that it deserves its own thread for some discussion.

So i just suggest everyone watch this report done by Sunday night about young drivers dying in crashes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO5_UoGIzLg

Old 21-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Honestly this video really makes you think long and hard.
I hope it doesn't get moved to the youtube/video area as I think it should have as much exposure as possible.

I have seen a few of these before, however this one really hit home for me.
Same sort of age in an EL falcon!!!!

This video should be shown to those in years 11 and 12 in schools; we had a similar video shown at our school and the amount of discussion for weeks after within the kids was amazing.
Saying what speed you had done was no longer thought of as 'cool', you were seen as a moron.

These video's are about real accidents, not set up stunts performed by actors to be watched in an Ad break.
It is not the accident itself that makes you think, it is the family and friends stories and emotions. (Ringing her phone, just to hear her voice in the voice mail etc)

These real stories make us teens think much more than road safety campaigns; our social life is our life, to show footage of people who can no longer 'hang out' with their close friends sends a very strong message.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still cant believe young people think they are indestructible. I learnt the hard way driving my EL 5l sensibly going up a bend on a hill then out of the blue the tail end kicked out and my mate and i ended down the bottom of a 8-10ft embankment in a tree neither of us were hurt be scared the **** out of me. Then 3 weekends after that a good work mate of mine was killed on a rd trip to Victoria its not easy to deal with and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

unfortunately its not just kids who take stupid risks, ive seen it from the other side of the fence but we wont go into that now... The thing is, when younger my mates and I all had fairly tough cars, (351 XE Manual, XY 351 Manual GT Rep, XY 351 Fairmont, HZ V8, VN SS Manuals etc) and we knew the right place to drive like a tool was on the track, none of us had these stupid accidents, we knew that grog and cars didnt mix, I still wont even have a can if im WORKING on my car. These young people really need to be taught IN SCHOOL the dangers of driving, Alcohol and Drugs...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
remps88
Twin Banger

brilliant program. i hope it gets put into schools. and she is right, we hear it but dont accept its a real consequence till its too late..

im 19. on p's obviously.

in my town alone in the last 3 years we have lost 3 people between 16-20. each time, it kills us. for weeks we grieve... we make promises. we say we have learnt.

people need to remember it doesnt take a lot to end our short time here.

cheers for putting it up willow. definately will take me a minute or two when i sit in my car next to start her up. like a lot of my mates, i keep a photo of bonnie, one of the most well known people in town, next to my ignition. as a reminder of what can happen.

2006 EGO bf xr6. 6spd manual. 19 inch Dark Agent wheels. pedders lowered shocks and springs. full extractors and 3 inch exhaust. dvd player. 2x12inch alpine subs. leather seats. xr6 turbo intake. reverse sensors.

2007 CBR600rr. black and grey, acropovic exhaust, shorty levers, and the ability to take on a lambo in a 0-100 race.
remps88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
FocusLX06

The problem is: Stupidity cannot be measured by a camera.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
unfortunately its not just kids who take stupid risks, ive seen it from the other side of the fence but we wont go into that now... The thing is, when younger my mates and I all had fairly tough cars, (351 XE Manual, XY 351 Manual GT Rep, XY 351 Fairmont, HZ V8, VN SS Manuals etc) and we knew the right place to drive like a tool was on the track, none of us had these stupid accidents, we knew that grog and cars didnt mix, I still wont even have a can if im WORKING on my car. These young people really need to be taught IN SCHOOL the dangers of driving, Alcohol and Drugs...
i beg to differ that back in your day people didn't drink and drive. i know my parents blatantly admitted to me that in the 70's they used to drive drunk all the time as there wasn't really a drink driving awareness campaign. also they told me that the police used to turn a bit of a blind eye to it back then. story's from parents and there friends doing Melbourne to Sydney in 5 hours.

i can honestly say that in the 8 years i have had my license i have never driven drunk. i watched 5 of my close mates die in an accident when i was 17. basically they were in a VL we were behind them and they were showing off and they hit a pole at around 120. i will never forget running out to the scene and seeing my 5 my mates all dead. this vision has stayed with me ever since and it is that reason that i drive my car with respect. I think sometimes it takes an event like this to make some people realise that they are not invincible. great watching, cheers for the link.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

After seeing all the TAC ads on tv, and youtube, I don't think any have hit the spot like this video. As was mentioned in the clip, This is real. It certainly would make kids wake up. The program that mother is trying to introduce is exactly what is needed.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm just hoping its not gonna take 100's more death's for them to realize that they need to respect there cars.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I remember my Dad telling me from day one of getting my learners. "This is a deadly weapon". How right that statement is.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

About time

I'm going to download this, then get the school to show it to all years 7-12

oh yeah, and it was an EF GLi. I remember seeing it in a local paper as this happened about 75kms away from where I live (roughly)
Old 21-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
About time

I'm going to download this, then get the school to show it to all years 7-12
Good Idea, assuming legally they are allowed to.
If they say no, ask why.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusLX06
The problem is: Stupidity cannot be measured by a camera.
thats a great quote.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Im sorry but the Magna i drove past yesterday, with the rear completly mangled with a tree in it, skid marks across the whole road, green p plates on, had more of an effect than seeing this video.

No offence intended.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Im sorry but the Magna i drove past yesterday, with the rear completly mangled with a tree in it, skid marks across the whole road, green p plates on, had more of an effect than seeing this video.

No offence intended.

I don't think anyone will take offence.

To see it in real life, will always have more of an impact, but when you only have something like this video, it hits home.

I survived a single vehicle accident when i was 21, i'm now 27, that a lot of the people who stopped to help thought i shouldn't have, let alone gotten myself out of the car. I used to drive like a bit of a tool, and since then it has made me wake up to myself.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Personally, I reckon we should introduce minumum safety ratings for cars new drivers can drive, example, 3 stars and up, my 5 star car saved my life and possibly the life of the other guy I hit, i walked out with a few bruises from the seatbelt and a sore knee.

I used to fight against restrictions for P platers, until I had my accident, ANYTHING put in place to save a life is a good idea no matter how bandaid approach it looks.

I argued with Gecko once over him forcing his daughter to buy a 5 star safety rating car, well I can tell you how wrong I was.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #17
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Its not about regulating and more restrictions really damo, because in reality millions have survived over the years without it, but you either have life preservation skills or you don't.

This was a great story and I am usually the first to beat up on the media over their trivial crap and own agenda's but what that paramedic said is 100% truth.

I do 100% stand by the fact we need better education relating to driving and not just for P platers either, and the training needs to get allot better if we are to succeed in saving lives its that simple.

Some might argue that training will cause them to take more risks, the simple fact is they are taking those risks now regardless, so why not have at least a fighting chance of getting out of the situation or being smart enough not to get into the situation in the first place.

Both this kind of in your face truthful teaching, coupled with advanced driver training for every new driver would without a shadow of a doubt save a life and correct me if I'm wrong thats what its all about?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While watching that clip on yahoo I saw that a Current Affair ran a story on "confused drivers" (which shouldve read, drivers who dont know the road rules). It was a general story about drivers who simply dont care about the rules and some very poorly designed intersections which have a high accident rate.
The story was too short to actually go anywhere, but what it did show was a large number of adult drivers simply driving through stop signs with out a care in the world.

This is what parents then pass down to their kids, this is the reality of it.
Monkey see monkey do...
I have seen some appalling driving carried about by mums and dads with kids in the car.
Worse is watching an L plater with mum or dad beside them in a car which isnt even roadworthy!!! or watching how many times they simply break the law within a 5min period, all the while mum or dad are there doing apparently nothing about it.

As an example I saw a old sedan with a missing headlight, everypanel dented, cracked windscreen with an L plate on it... if that isnt a way to attract police i dont know what is??

Or the L plater who didnt indicate 3 times, failed to stop at a stop sign and speeding over the limit....

hmmmmm

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
Bobman
Regulator

When the 5 guys died in Mill Park last year, it was reported that a guy who knew the deceased was seen doing burnouts and speeding past the crash site the next day.

Another group were performing burnouts at a funeral "in spirit" of someone who died in a car crash in Warrambool.

Some people never learn and nothing hits home until they're dead themselves. Sadly.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Education is the only answer, in the hope that coupled with some common sence these events will be prevented.

After talking with ambo's, police and firey's who deal with car crashes, I would never ever wish such a horrifying ordeal on anyone, I'll leave it at that.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again.
You can do nothing for the poor souls who have already perished, but you can use them as an example.
I constantly tell my children the dangers of driving dangerously, show them footage from the news etc. of fatal car accidents and make them take note of the drivers carrying on like idiots whenever we are out and about.
Theres not much more as a parent that i can do really.

You know what, im still petrified that one day i'll get that knock.
Not because i think i've failed to get the message across, or that they have been too ignorant to listen, but because kids will be kids, its all innocent until it goes wrong.

My biggest fear, as my children are growing older around me, is that they will meet their fate at the hands of some friend or aquaintance who hasnt had the message pushed on them, who think they are invincible and couldnt care less about my wife and i waiting at home for our loved one.

I lost my sister when she was 15 to an adult driver who drove beyond her and her vehicles capabilities, 30 years later i wouldnt think twice about squeezing the life out of that person with my bare hands given the chance.
she took something from my family that can never be replaced and although she must live with it every day of her pittiful wheelchair bound existance, so must i.

Im spent!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here's two things I always like to impart to young drivers.

1. I've been in an accident with and without a seatbelt. I enjoyed the accident with the seatbelt much more.

Without the seatbelt I went to a hospital and missed 4 months of work. With the seatbelt, later that day I participated in a martial arts demonstration. Both times the car was totalled.

2. You always think that those kinds of accidents will happen to "other people." Well, they do. However, all those other people that you see every day, whether it's hundreds or a thousand people, to ALL of those people.......you are the "other person." You are the "other person" to thousands of people everyday who they expect the accident to happen to, and perhaps get killed.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Some people just don't want to be taught...

I reckon I could show that video to some of my friends who drive like tools and they'd say what a load and wouldn't bat an eyelid. That's ok, I simply refuse to go in cars with them unless I drive their car...

I've done some stupid stuff in my cars when I was younger...220+ overtaking huge lines of cars, chucking marleys....even ended up in a cane paddock once, narrowely missing a telegraph pole...I think it's just a stage us young people go through...

I'm 23 now, and I look back and I think that it was all very stupid and I could have been killed or killed someone else. I simply just don't do it anymore.....My best mate that drives like an absolute idiot, always think to myself that his time will come, he's already been done twice for drink driving...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Fordmuscle1965

Heres a couple of real eye openers that should still be being broadcast on TV. They both hit home hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1JByRQRhY
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post