Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default powder coating costs

quick question. im thinking of getting my brake calipers powdercoated as i have tried to paint them the colour that i want but it just doesnt come out how i wanted. anyone know a rough ball park of what it might cost?

Old 20-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Minimum charge is usually $60 or there abouts mate.. So i wait till i need a few things done at once..
My wheels cost $300 everytime i get them done a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new wheels everytime..

$75 a wheel is pretty good value IMO...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sweet, how would i go with things like brake calipers? would i have to pull them all apart and seal parts up or would they do it?
Old 20-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A powder coating place should be able to answer that question
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Youd have to pull them apart yourself.
As for sealing most places will want you to do that as most part just go into a pile and it can be forgotten which bits are not to powdercoated.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
A powder coating place should be able to answer that question
And how many are open on a weekend, he wants advice NOW ?

I havn't powdercoated mine yet mate because you will need to tape up wherever you dont want the sand or paint to get, this is a critical part of your vehicles safety so do some research on preparation first OK ...

At a minimum where the piston sits plus the sliders will need to be scraped/tapped to remove the excess paint and clearances checked new seals fitted etc...

Maybe call PBR direct and ask them whats involved in the process as they sell Powdercoated calipers in their upgrade packages...

http://www.pbr.com.au/

Hope this helps...
Daz.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
And how many are open on a weekend, he wants advice NOW ?

I havn't powdercoated mine yet mate because you will need to tape up wherever you dont want the sand or paint to get, this is a critical part of your vehicles safety so do some research on preparation first OK ...

At a minimum where the piston sits plus the sliders will need to be scraped/tapped to remove the excess paint and clearances checked new seals fitted etc...

Maybe call PBR direct and ask them whats involved in the process as they sell Powdercoated calipers in their upgrade packages...

http://www.pbr.com.au/

Hope this helps...
Daz.
thanks for the constructive comments. there is a lot of knowledge that can be gained from people like yourself, i prefer to pop a question up here rather than pester someone who is more than likely to busy to answer a heap of questions while they have people waiting on work to their cars
Old 25-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Road Games

Anytime mate .. shoot some pics up if ya go ahead with it ...
Old 25-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
rockhopper

I know powdercoating is better, but i am a complete novice and gave it a crack with spraypaint and came up sweet. I didn't even do jack all prep, they looked messy as hell. Gave them a quick wipe and just started spraying. didnt like the first colour so went again with another, thinkin thats why they turned out good bcoz they all got about 7 coats cost $20. Been good for a few months now.......make sure u use heatproof paint but i knew you knew that.
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Minimum charge is usually $60 or there abouts mate.. So i wait till i need a few things done at once..
My wheels cost $300 everytime i get them done a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new wheels everytime..

$75 a wheel is pretty good value IMO...
it's because of guys like you that the price went up

i was gonna get my wheels done last year but i thought stuff it i wait till i closer to taking the car out, it was about $80 then. now it's $150 damn u fashionable people
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
I know powdercoating is better, but i am a complete novice and gave it a crack with spraypaint and came up sweet. I didn't even do jack all prep, they looked messy as hell. Gave them a quick wipe and just started spraying. didnt like the first colour so went again with another, thinkin thats why they turned out good bcoz they all got about 7 coats cost $20. Been good for a few months now.......make sure u use heatproof paint but i knew you knew that.
Yeah had them painted red for ages then decided to go a conary yellow did the turbo badge an brakes but even after using a full tin in many light coats as well as 3 coats of primer it's not as dark a yellow as the badge turned out
Old 27-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
pandas01
Starter Motor

Wouldn't recommend powder coating for the caliper (or anywhere that gets hot..), the heat effects the quality of the powder, and worst case may even "melt" it off. Powder coatings cure at only 200 degrees, I'm sure brakes/calipers would generate enough radient heat to cause problems. I'd go for a high temp paint. Painted properly they look the part and last a while. Sandblast first, use the right primer and high temp paint. Hope this helps.
pandas01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah ive tried but im trying to get a conary yellow but no where i find sells one that works and i have got the darkest yellow that i could find and stil not happy. but arnt brakes like brembos etc powder coated
Old 27-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Road Games

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
yeah ive tried but im trying to get a conary yellow but no where i find sells one that works and i have got the darkest yellow that i could find and stil not happy. But aren't brakes like Brembos/ PBR etc Powder coated ???
Yes mate they are... hence my link earlier for confirmation ...
Old 27-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah thanks daz I checked itt out the other night. Called a local powder coating place they said it will cost me $15 per caliper not including sand blasting, they also put me in touch with another local group that do a lot of sand blasting of car parts. Called em and they have this really thick plastic tape and covers they use for brakes. Although since I have ****y stock brakes ganna get the prem pbr brakes or equivilent second hand an get them done. Means I won't have down time without the car