Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #91
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Barra inline 6 confirmed till 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Most 2-strokes are such relatively low compression that premium doesn't make any difference.

I know it's old, but the superbike of the seventies, the Kawasaki H2-750 three cylinder two-stroke (one of which i own) has shattering performance and was unequalled by a 750cc bike until well into the eighties.
All on a measly 7:1 compression ratio.

I haven't tried the G6E on premium yet on a long trip. By the time our holidays come around in August the engine will have a few more kilometers on it and we might try it then to see if there's any noticeable difference. It'd want to be good though for the extra price.
I honestly do not see the point in this analogy considering the FG's I6 has a 10.3:1 compression ratio and that 2 stroke motors are almost legislated out of existence. Not to mention it is a modern 4 stroke engine with engine management.

One tank of 98RON in a modern car won't reveal much change or any at all, there needs to be a sustained use of the fuel to derive any benefit from it and I think it was proven by one of the motoring outlets that the economy gains from using PULP in a modern engine is offset by the extra cost of the fuel. So in terms of your hip pocket, it is roughly the same.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #92
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Filling with 98 octane allows it to be the most powerful in its class and adds to marketing tools,something Ford isnt dripping with tbh.... imo.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ba...gine#Barra_195

98 octane fuel has more advantages than power imo,even in a shi**er as one so kindly labled .How did that word get through the swear filter before
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #93
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Filling with 98 octane allows it to be the most powerful in its class and adds to marketing tools,something Ford isnt dripping with tbh.... imo.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ba...gine#Barra_195

98 octane fuel has more advantages than power imo,even in a shi**er as one so kindly labled .How did that word get through the swear filter before
5 extra kilowatts...I'd challenge anyone to drive two cars and "feel" 5 kw difference.

I'll try the fuel...but the price difference is going to be hard to ignore though. I keep good records of fuel useage in a log book (just for my own amusement), and will soon find out what's what...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #94
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Wink 91octane VS 98octane thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
5 extra kilowatts...I'd challenge anyone to drive two cars and "feel" 5 kw difference.

I'll try the fuel...but the price difference is going to be hard to ignore though. I keep good records of fuel useage in a log book (just for my own amusement), and will soon find out what's what...
If you are willing to come to me with the vehicle then no worries lol.Is the above title of my post correct............

In all honestly the extra 5 kws wasnt my point it was from a marketing pov and clearly stated the power is not the reason I would run it in a shi**er.This response to quoteing me does not make sense as stated it wasnt about the power.

Where did I say I could feel the difference in 5kw please highlight it in one of my quotes.Please dont put words in other peoples mouth to aid your defence please especially mine.This is what gets some peoples backs up and sit here post after post trying to defend themselves,not that I will be doing so.It dont take long before 2 pages later its been all kodswallop(is that a word)

"Sustained" use is proven benificial for ones fuel system amongst a miriad of other "complex" benifits that the thread doesnt really need to be filled with.

If one doesnt like it then dont use it,seems pretty simple really.

Just one look at the compression ratio shows something more than 91(at best by the way)octane can give benifits over time.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 16-05-2011 at 11:44 PM.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #95
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
This is a joke right?

Surely you can't believe that you're so righteous to profess to everyone what they should be running in their cars?

If you're serious then i'm speachless that you can possibly firstly call a n/a I6 falcon a shitter (how do you come to such a conclusion?), secondly calling anyone who fills their n/a I6 with 98 octane self indulgent tosspots. Wow how's the weather up their mate?

No joke.

It is my OPINION that if you are one of them mouth breathers that waxes lyrical about how much of a difference 98 octane makes in your stock standard AU/BA/BF/FG I6NA, that yes, you are a tosspot.... cos clearly, you are having a lend of yourself...

I have no problem in using the appropriate fuels in cars that REQUIRE them... but to waste it on a shitter? No dice.

FWIW: before anyone has a go at me, on the basis I must feel I am superior for driving a XR6T, I consider my own car a shitter, and I am sick of the damn thing... October can't come quick enough

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #96
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
It is my OPINION that if you are one of them mouth breathers that waxes lyrical about how much of a difference 98 octane makes in your stock standard AU/BA/BF/FG I6NA,
In your opinion I am a "Mouth Breathing Tosspot"

In my car, I have measured, repeatable economy gains that almost always offset the price increase of 98 over 95.

Long live the flexible I6 !!

FWIW I agree with your label based on the originalest definition I could find for Toss-Pot
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toss-pot

I am a Mouth Breathing Toss-Pot ... there I said it
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #97
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

enough childish insults, warnings will follow if it continues. Back on track.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #98
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing to consider when comapring results of operation on various fuels is that just because the sticker on the pump says 91, 95, 98 or whatever does no make all fuels with the same "sticker rating" the same.

RON is not how much octane is in the fuel, it is a complex calculation to determine the "anti-knocking" characteristic of a fuel.
It also has noth to do with the energy or heating co-efficient, that is higher RON does not automatically more power capability.

Hydrogen has a RON of about 140, contains no iso-octane whatsoever and has a HoC of 142 Kilojoules/gram

Octane has a RON of 100 (surprise surprise) but only 44 HoC
Petrol 46-48 and Ethanol about 30.

So for a start different fuels can make more energy despite whatever RON is on the sticker.

The stuff you pump into your car was most likely just above the rating on the sticker when it was loaded into the truck to be delivered.

Since then it has sat in the truck and been mixed a lot with air, mixed with whatever crap is in the tank under the servo (sometimes going back 30 years++), sat there for however long with various components evaporating at different rates then pumped into your tank to be mixed with whatever crap is in there already before being finally burned with air contaminated with water and whatever pollution is about at the time.

Botton line, unless you do a thorough analysis of the fuel and air during your tests the results will be somewhat subjective.

In saying thing, I have found that Ultimate/Vortex 98 in my local area are the most consistant fuels and give me the best results in my vehicles driving over the usual routes I travel.

My tests were based on the same roads, same fuel stations filled at the same time of day over many weeks and tens of thousands of kilometres.
Vehicles tested were BA GT-P, BA2 F6, BA2 XT & Datto.
I only tested 91 and ethanol blend 91 in the XT, I tried 98 ethanol once in the two FPVs with such shocking results I did not continue.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #99
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In saying thing, I have found that Ultimate/Vortex 98 in my local area are the most consistant fuels and give me the best results in my vehicles driving over the usual routes I travel.
It seems with our vehicles at home, our local independant petrol station (uses Shell fuel though) we seem to get more kilometers out of a tank on their 91 over others like BP, Caltex etc and its not only just my family but the opinions of a lot of others who use the same petrol station.

Don't know in my Focus as I've never filled it up at any other petrol station before, though I'm interested in this "Caltex premium diesel".
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post