Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #61
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: nobody wants an AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
you started the thread to start a ****** fight...clearly. Well done
i am known to create friction

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #62
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Well there ya go, other then looks (which depends on who you ask) EF's and EL's have nothing over the AU.
EF/EL's have a nicer interior too. And the XR's come with LSD's
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #63
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks are subjective, in some guises the AU is a brilliant looking car and is still quite a fresh look.

But the only thing that has been done to this EF is the wheels...pretty sexy looking for a stock car. Such a slick look.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...utura&trecs=39
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #64
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

i just bought an AU II XLS Ute. 5L, manual. $8250. and its in very good nick, stock except for a cat back. What more could you want for 8g!!

great base to start from ;)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #65
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borry
i just bought an AU II XLS Ute. 5L, manual. $8250. and its in very good nick, stock except for a cat back. What more could you want for 8g!!

great base to start from ;)
Yeah, exactly why I'm getting an AU ute for my next daily.
By the time I'm thinking about changing cars they'll probably be up for sale for $4k for a 5L manual

I love it
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #66
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Seems to me like the thread title is 180 degrees out...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #67
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Yeah, exactly why I'm getting an AU ute for my next daily.
By the time I'm thinking about changing cars they'll probably be up for sale for $4k for a 5L manual

I love it
I paid that 4years ago for mine, was a bloody good buy.
I've umed and ared over the years about getting rid of it but i love it. when i got my eb i was going to put the au back to stock since the cops put it off the road but changed my mind. its going to be a drag and fun car no rego, it doesn't owe me anything so why not and i can't sell it i wouldn't get anything for it. I love my au and eb best of both worlds eb power and looks, au monster power and mean as hell lol.
That said buy what YOU like xh el au whatever they are all fords so they are all good and you can make any of them look good and more powerfull it your choice.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #68
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the main reason AU utes are pulling less $ than an XH is numbers. AU utes were hugely popular in their day so there are plenty around for sale now. Not so many XH's

As for the weights - XH's are significantly lighter than an AU ute. AU utes are heavier than AU sedans. XH utes are lighter than EL sedans.

And looks, totally subjective of course but I think XH's look great. The way the bodyside crease blends into the front of the bonnet, and the raised center section of the bonnet (compared with EF) to accomodate the XD underneath looks awesome, and is a very slick example of a new front end being grafted onto a 15+ year old at the time design.

AU series 1 XR' front ends look absolutely horrific, but the series 2 changed all that - amazing what one extra bar in the grille can do.

I'd go AU S2 or 3 over an XH everytime. I've got an XH now and it has so many things breaking and squeaking i'm ready to drive it over a cliff.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #69
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
i am known to create friction
Well I guess you were raised by monkeys! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #70
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
EF/EL's have a nicer interior too. And the XR's come with LSD's
If you like hard brittle plastics the yep the EF/L wins hands down. In fact they are one step above the VN-VS.

I've been looking at a few B series on behalf of the old man. Its been a while since I've had a steer of one. Reminds me just how bad the interior quality had deterioted between AU-BA. After over 600k my AU creaks over the odd pothole but puts BA/Fs with a quarter of the mileage to shame in build and material quality. Don't even mention the E series.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #71
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davessleepin351
no its the interenet i dont care enough to impress u for your friends, and your absolutely right... ebs are WAY Quicker... thanks for backing me up
numpty post of the year.

Difference between a base model AU and an EF/EL is not a lot really - same motor, same gearbox, same live axle rear end, slightly revised (and much better) front end suspension. Bodywise, EF/EL (amd if I had to lean, I'd say EF) in base model spec looks better than an AU. But the AU is still a great car - in fact, AU 1 to 3 sold more than BA to BF, and was only eclipsed by the long running XD to XF series, from memory. ie AU series is the best series falcon ever on it's own.

Anyway, go up a spec to the IRS cars (Fairmont Ghia, and XR6 VCT or XR8) and it's a different story - the AU IRS is brilliant and longer lasting then even the B series IRS "control blade" suspension. Having recently sold an AU XR8 and bow occasionally driving an EF, there is no comparison in handling - the AU eats the E series alive.

So...it's horses for course. Want something that goes reasonably well, and handles a bit ordinary - get an E series. Want something that goes just as good but handles 100 times better - then get an IRS equipped AU.

If you care about looks - get an AU XR front end, or T series front end and plonk that on your ugly AU (and yes, series 1 were ugly, series 2 & 3 have aged very well, IMO, and still look modern).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #72
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
Id prefer an 5spd XH (but would settle for a sedan - EL xr8) but their prices, especially the XH's are quite astronomical.

This is music to my ears!

Click here to see my ute
Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #73
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just quietly el in two years sold more then the au did in 5.
However if I buy another ford I would grab a nice au II or III sr wagon if I could.

Felcen!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #74
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im not gonna get into the debate of which model was better or worse. I think its been done to death.

Ive owned an XC, 2 XE's, EA, EB, and skipped the EF/EL to own my now current AU2. The AU wasn't my first choice and I only chose it due to my dad raving on about it. I guess I was skeptical at the time. But in saying that, for the 3 and a bit years I have owned the AU, I have modified it a hell of a lot and have driven the guts out of the stock motor and trans, and it has still held up well beyond my expectations. Sure the live rear axle leaves a lot to be desired, but for what it is, its been a dam good donk.

I still the series 2/3 is tonnes better than series 1 for looks but its been one of the most reliable Fords I have owned. I cannot complain.

I also love the fact AU parts are getting cheaper and cheaper to buy second hand too.

The resale of AU's is shocking I agree and its a buyers market out there for those looking for one, but if your buying one for the intent to make it a keeper or a project of some sort and do not care about resale, then they are worth considering as a value for money buy for those on a tight budget.

As you can read from this thread, its a debatable subject when it comes to looks vs power between models, it just comes down to choosing what best for YOU and what YOU like rather than basing it on others opinions.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #75
bluovl

This is exactly how I ended up with my AU ute. I went looking for an XH and came across the 'low' price of an AU ute.

To be perfectly honest it was the best thing that could have happened.
Car has been problem free for the last couple of years I've owned it (touch wood) and in my eyes still looks good.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #76
Gomez

I kept my EF XR8 for so long because the AU was too ugly.

The BA/BF's were better looking, but pretty poorly bolted together. The door trim was loose and the drivers door seal was hanging off on one new BF I test drove.....

Finally made the plunge when the good looking FG got better looking with the XR50 release, got lots of good gear thrown in gratis (nice 18's, piano black etc), got dirt cheap with the skyrocketing fuel price, and got a 5 year warranty to boot.

Cars also have to pass a driveway test......look good in the driveway, or get outta here.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #77
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks will always be the reason why people pick one car over the other. Or at least for the majority.

AUI made a bad first impression. Put lipstick on a pig and release a Series II & III - people still are taken back by " The AU is ugly " and they pass. B series is the classic example. They tart up an XT and call it the XR6 and people go nuts for them despite being poorly built and not even half as tough as the AU.

BTW, I've owned an AU and BA.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #78
Falcman0o7
Banned

AU's are FANTASTIC!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #79
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
Probably cos they're hidious.
Yeah what a stupid post
Ill have the last say, im sick of the AU bashing it gets old. And for the AU haters Thanks Tim.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread