Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default DBA - EBC Combo update

For the last 2 years, I've had DBA slotted rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads. In this time, I've have done about 35,000-37,000km. Today, I rotated my tyres and thought to measured the thickness of the rotors with a vernier caliper.

New, the fronts are 25mm thick, with the minimum allowable thickness being 23mm. Today, the fronts were between 24.2mm - 24.4mm. The rears are 11mm thick when new, and have a 9mm minimum. Today, they were between 10.2mm - 10.4mm thick.

So, all in all, after two years / 35,000km running, the discs are less than halfway through their lifespan. This is compared to the soft OEM discs, which reportedly last about 30,000 - 40,000km.

The front pads have about 5mm left, with a 2mm minimum. I've just ordered a new set from ebay UK, $125 delivered.

The rear pads ran out about 5,000km ago and I replaced them with EBC Ultimax.

DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: DBA - EBC Combo update

How do you find the EBC greenstuff pads for daily driving?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

My DBA and EBC combo warped my discs.....

wondering what to try next.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Damo, I've found them fine for daily driving, a noticeable improvement over OEM and they have a good bite once they are warm. A bit of noise when bedding in initially.

photn, I don't know why some have had good experiences and others have had bad experiences with the DBA/EBC combo.

Maybe try EBC discs + EBC pads, make sense to me! Cheap when shipped from UK. I really like the Tubrogroove slotted + x-drilled rotors.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Damo, I've found them fine for daily driving, a noticeable improvement over OEM and they have a good bite once they are warm. A bit of noise when bedding in initially.

photn, I don't know why some have had good experiences and others have had bad experiences with the DBA/EBC combo.

Maybe try EBC discs + EBC pads, make sense to me! Cheap when shipped from UK. I really like the Tubrogroove slotted + x-drilled rotors.
Ive got EBC combo on the fronts, and so far so good. When I was looking into it through Race Brakes Sydney, Matt did mention that the EBC pads were a bit soft for the DBA Rotors and it can cause issues - cant remember exactly what he said though.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Looks like they'll be on the cards when I'm up for pads and rotors, I noticed on European-parts.net they sell EBC and turbo groove discs, are the prices quoted for single or pairs if ou would happen to know? Did you order yours through there?
Old 24-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't buy too much from European-parts, things seem a bit overpriced there. Get a quote from European parts, and compare it to Demon Tweeks (UK).

The Focus in the UK has different size brakes compared to our cars, eg. The 2.0L model has 300mm front rotors, whereas our 2.0L models have 278mm front rotors. So if you are going to order from the UK / Europe, order according to brake size, not model.

Use the DBA website to get your exact brake specs.

And here is the EBC catalogues: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/catalogues.shtml
Go to the UK/Europe/Asia discs catalogue and scroll down to the Focus section.
Old 25-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is wondering:

LS Focus:
Front: 278mm diameter, 25mm max / 23mm min thickness, height 48.5mm
Rear: 265mm diameter, 11mm max / 9mm min thickness, height 41mm

The equivalent parts for EBC Turbogroove rotors:
GD1308 Front
GD1310 Rear

And the matching greenstuff pads:
Front DP21524
Rear DP21749

Also, european parts offers a caliper bracket to allow the LS-on Focus to upgrade from the 278mm to the 300mm EBC front discs.

Last edited by DZFord; 25-04-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
If anyone is wondering:

LS Focus:
Front: 278mm diameter, 25mm max / 23mm min thickness, height 48.5mm
Rear: 265mm diameter, 11mm max / 9mm min thickness, height 41mm

The equivalent parts for EBC Turbogroove rotors:
GD1308 Front
GD1310 Rear

And the matching greenstuff pads:
Front DP21524
Rear DP21749

Also, european parts offers a caliper bracket to allow the LS-on Focus to upgrade from the 278mm to the 300mm EBC front discs.
Will those 300mm rotors fit under the stock 16" wheels?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Will those 300mm rotors fit under the stock 16" wheels?
The 278mm and 300mm rotors have the same height so I would assume so but cannot confirm this definitely
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #11
ah-see
Starter Motor

I just received my set of EBC rotors with ultimax pads in the rear and greenstuff pads up front and i was wondering approx how much it would cost for a shop to change the brakes? I'm considering doing it myself if it isn't too hard of a job!

Anyone with past experience on this?
ah-see is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had any need to do it personally but if you're good with a spanner you can get a Haynes manual (ebay) and have a go yourself.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Thanks for the info DZ, really helpful.

EBC also sell a slotted rotor, EBC Ultimax - the above GD1308 is slotted and 'dimpled'.

These are very similar in price to Turbogroove GD1308, although I imagine the wear rate of pads may be slightly better.

USR1308 Front
USR1310 Rear
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Conquest_Tsi

I have a quote here for the EBC rotors and pads

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your enquiry, prices as follows :-

GD1310 @ 79.83 per pair

GD1308 @ 112.15 per pair

DP1749 @ 13.57 per set

DP21524 @ 50.22 per set

Carriage for the above to Australia will be 80.00 pounds.

Total: 255.77 pounds + 80 pounds postage.
Total : $515 Aus
-----

That is for the EBC slotted and drilled rotors with greenstuff pads at the front and ultimax on the back.

Here is a quote from race brakes sydney for the RDA or DBA rotors and EBC greenstuff and ultimax pads

DBA 2118SL/SR $132each
DBA 2119SL/SR $132each

F.RDA7938S $210 a pair
R.RDA7939S $175 a pair

Front – Greenstuff $158
Rear – Ultimax $60

Total for RDA combo: $603 with pads
Total for DBA combo: $746 with pads

Anyone else gotten any pricing lately? These are for LS focus.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest_Tsi
I have a quote here for the EBC rotors and pads

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your enquiry, prices as follows :-

GD1310 @ 79.83 per pair

GD1308 @ 112.15 per pair

DP1749 @ 13.57 per set

DP21524 @ 50.22 per set

Carriage for the above to Australia will be 80.00 pounds.

Total: 255.77 pounds + 80 pounds postage.
Total : $515 Aus
-----

That is for the EBC slotted and drilled rotors with greenstuff pads at the front and ultimax on the back.

Here is a quote from race brakes sydney for the RDA or DBA rotors and EBC greenstuff and ultimax pads

DBA 2118SL/SR $132each
DBA 2119SL/SR $132each

F.RDA7938S $210 a pair
R.RDA7939S $175 a pair

Front – Greenstuff $158
Rear – Ultimax $60

Total for RDA combo: $603 with pads
Total for DBA combo: $746 with pads

Anyone else gotten any pricing lately? These are for LS focus.
Some pretty keen prices there Steve. Just remember though that the EBC GD1308/10 are a 'dimpled' rather than drilled rotor.

You should be able to get the price of the DBA/EBC pad combo down closer to $700 if you buy the pads on ebay, DZ mentioned in the first post he got the Greenstuff fronts for $125 delivered.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

One example of a set of EBC Greenstuff (front) on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Around AU$115 shipped.

(for latecomers to this thread, the ebay seller is Rite Brakes)

Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
ondori
Addicted User

My Pads outlasted my frist set of DBA rotors and looks like they are going to out last the second set too. DBA Slotted and Bendix Genral CT
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weird! LR or LS > focus?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I got a quote from Demon-Tweeks as well:

USR1310 @ 76.65

USR1308 @ 107.66

DP1749 @ 13.97

DP21524 @ 51.72

Global Priority @ 80.00

Total 250 pounds + 80 pounds postage.

Total AU$500

Old 18-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quick update:

Conquest_Tsi and I have made a combined order for these (through Demon-Tweeks): http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...duct=555659177

Total cost is $AU466 each shipped, which includes EBC Greenstuff front/Ultimax rear.

I/we'll give another update when they arrive. Have heard some good things about Black Diamonds (mostly in the UK) so looking forward to see how they perform.

Old 20-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #21
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So that's $466 for front + rear discs, + EBC pads?

The black diamonds do look sexy!
Old 20-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
So that's $466 for front + rear discs, + EBC pads?

The black diamonds do look sexy!
Yep, front + rear discs + pads + shipping for less than AU$500.00

As expected you will lose some of the black finish from the brake pad, but they do look ok. Time will tell how they perform, but from what I've read so far they seem to rate well. The brand has been around for almost 20 years so you would hope they can make a good disc.

Apparently curved rotor slots are quieter and cause less pad wear than a straight slot, will have to find the source though...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 20-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 20-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #23
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's such a good price, Demon Tweeks seem to be great with their pricing.
Old 20-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wow good on the price

Are LS and LV pads/rotors the same?
Old 22-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Wow good on the price

Are LS and LV pads/rotors the same?
According to Ford's website and a number of UK online stores, the LV (TDCI?) has 300mm front discs and 280mm rear discs.

Based on EBC Ultimax discs the price difference between the 278mm and 300mm disc seems to be around AU$40, around AU$10 for the rears (280mm vs 265mm). It seems Black Diamond have a similar price difference bewteen the disc sizes for the front and rear.

Other LV models (excluding XR5) use the same 278 front disc but a smaller 260mm rear.

Pads appear to be the same.

Part no's: Focus 2.0 TD 2005-

EBC Brakes Ultimax Discs Front (USR1309)
EBC Brakes Ultimax Discs Rear (USR1307)

EBC Brakes Turbogroove Discs Front (GD1309)
EBC Brakes Turbogroove Discs Rear (GD1307)

Black Diamond 12 Groove Discs Front (KBD1296G)
Black Diamond 12 Groove Discs Rear (KBD1298G)

DBA don't seem to have a listing for slotted discs for the TDCI, but not sure how up-to-date their website is.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The front pads (EBC Greenstuff) have about 5mm left, with a 2mm minimum. I've just ordered a new set from ebay UK, $125 delivered.
Had the new pads put in today - front DBA rotors are in great condition, had a very light skim, and apparently looks like theyt have a fair bit of left in them.