Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Caydus

Default Painting the undercarriage

I've been not too happy about the rusty driveshaft thing since i posted it up a few months ago and lurking around this forum and others, it seems like stock, unmodified cars have alot of parts that are "meant" to go rusty, as in, form a layer of rust to prevent more rust.
That doesnt sit well with me either. I know logically it makes sense, but meh, doesn't feel right.

Anyway, I've had a look around and I'm thinking of getting together with a mechanic mate of mine and paint all "rusty" or bits with the potential to rust with POR15 all along the undercarriage, long term project kind of thing, taking a few pieces out, painting it, then slotting it back in once it's done. Bit of an opportunity to see the car up close as well and learn a bit more about it.

Firstly, has anyone done it before on a Fiesta? Also, how hard is it and will it void my warrenty?

Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 
Default Re: Painting the undercarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
how hard is it and will it void my warrenty?
Do you really need to do it??

It would quite possibly void the warranty of each part sprayed and any parts related/connected to it.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Caydus

I dont know what this black gunk is, it came like this!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

it may void the warranty,
most parts are marked in some way to identify that they were torqued up once fitted, or for a difference in the lh and rh parts.
sometimes for fsa'a etc etc
if the marks aren't there when a part fails then ford might not want to know about it

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Caydus

hmm, maybe we can mask that off then clearcoat it
Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I wouldn't do it.

It may void the warranty.

As a Fiesta owner who (finally after 6 months of battling Ford) had to have $10K of rust cut out of my 3 month old car I can tell you had I tampered with anything down there (ie. tried to fix it myself) I would have been stuffed. It was hard enough to get Ford to man up even with the Fair Trading department involved.

What it will definitely do is make any claims in future far more difficult because the vehicle has been 'modified/altered' from original factory spec. Seems stupid, yes, but Ford will use any excuse to get out of gaol.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
trumpy73

Don't bother. It's a bit like cleaning copper pipes at home which essentially promotes more rust than anything. A bit of oxidation is fine and protects the metal.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Fiestaman

Agree with you Caydus - looks crap to see all those rusting parts. However not many people look under their cars so it's only for those who like to check underneath every so often to make sure there are no surprises.
Hated the look of my driveshafts so took some SAE 90 gearbox oil and gave them a thin film after cleaning them up. Works OK as the oil is thick enough not to get flung off. Was careful to avoid getting any oil on the boots. The cast iron disc brake and drum brake parts had all been machined after painting so there was rust there. Repainted them black without removing any parts - now they look good with no stains.
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post