Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Year Of New Ford Falcon Body Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Point 1 is agreed, well sort of. Future SHO Taurus will probably be AWD with all the inherent inefficiency of AWD systems and may have U.S. designed suspension.
FoA have looked at Taurus but that's about it.....

Quote:
Point 2. Well the Wheels article quite plainly eluded to the fact that the new twin turbo V6 isn't as grunty as the inline six in the F6, not as much power and not nearly as much torque delivered through an inherently less efficent AWD system, what's to like compared to the iconic inline six ?
In the F150, the Ecoboost V6 makes 270 Kw @ 5,000 and 565 nm @ 2500 rpm,
only because the top end power is clipped to protect the image of the 6.2 Boss engine...

Get that bottom end torque?
A TRUCK engine has arguably more torque than our favorite F6, the EB only falls short because
the top end power is clipped for truck duty, watch the mustang EB due out next year, the power is just wow...
Quote:
Point 3 - Not sure how you could draw that inference from what I posted earlier, (see signature for FPV allready owned)
people buying the last of an engine thinking that it will be a collectors gem...

Quote:
5 years is a long time and whilst I agree anything can happen, clouds appear to be gathering on the distant horizon and i'm not sure I like the shape of them.
Ford is more than pleased with falcon and Territory, don't listen to journalist garbage,
next Falcon is still in with a big chance...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

They have one in PD that they have had for at least a year, so they are doing more than taking a look at it, they must be doing some serious long term engineering evaluation on it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #33
stang65
FPRJET

they could be looking at some cool bit to improve the next falcon does`t mean that they need to use the whole car.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They have one in PD that they have had for at least a year, so they are doing more than taking a look at it, they must be doing some serious long term engineering evaluation on it.
A lot of vehicles come here for PD work but not necessarily evaluation for local application.
People are assuming way too much and letting their imaginations torture them with every possibility.
Taurus was assessed and FoA have moved on, the pendulum is swinging back in favor of a local design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
they could be looking at some cool bit to improve the next falcon does`t mean that they need to use the whole car.
One Ford means no more "them and us" all engineering divisions are used to maximum effect.
FoA is the PD centre for FAPA, so it stands to reason that our Aussie engineers get to work with
lots of cool and international projects, work is assigned and done as needed.

Don't get me wrong, I love our I-6, have an FG R6 Ute I drive every day but if Ford ever
decide to do a different engines then I have absolutely no problem with that because
the corporate stuff is that good and it's where all the money is being spent.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-09-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
A lot of vehicles come here for PD work but not necessarily evaluation for local application.
People are assuming way too much and letting their imaginations torture them with every possibility.
Taurus was assessed and FoA have moved on, the pendulum is swinging back in favor of a local design.

One Ford means no more "them and us" all engineering divisions are used to maximum effect.
FoA is the PD centre for FAPA, so it stands to reason that our Aussie engineers get to work with
lots of cool and international projects, work is assigned and done as needed.

Don't get me wrong, I love our I-6, have an FG R6 Ute I drive every day but if Ford ever
decide to do a different engines then I have absolutely no problem with that because
the corporate stuff is that good and it's where all the money is being spent.
I'm not saying they will build an identical car to a Taurus or whatever on CD4, they will more than likely do their own front and rear sheetmetal to give it a Falcon appearance. They wouldn't take a US design and not change it, we have totally different tastes to them.

Just last week I saw a Taurus, Fusion and an Edge, so evaluation continues.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
1) why would you show the current Taurus as the Falcon's replacement when it too will be replaced long before 2016?
2) Would you buy the last I-6 Turbo F6s knowing FPV will release a twin Turbo V6 that blows it away?
3) Would you chose the last of the 5.4 Bosses over it's replacement, a S/C 5.0 V8?

None of us knows what we will be doing or thinking by the time 2016 rolls around,
I'd suggest keeping an open mind to what technology is being offered as a replacement...

Remember there were poor fools thinking they were sitting on a gold mine
with the last of the Holden Red sixes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Sorry missed this.
1. Its not about the exact detail, its about the intent of continuing. I know many suppliers who have changed their business not be be reliant on Ford or Holden. Smart move regardless but its the lack of confidence that is the issue.

2. I said I would so yes, its not about the outright speed for me, its a slice of Australian Motoring History.

3. No, but I dont see the 5.4 as overly Australian even if it is unique to us.

I have no issues whatsoever with FoA doing what they have to in order to keep the falcon going, but RWD is concrete for me, anything else and it becomes generic and Ford already have the Mondeo for a decent size sedan..why would you bother making a local version.

Buying the last of the I6's for me has nothing to do with profit.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #37
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Work on a post 2015 Falcon is still continuing.
Did i say otherwise? All i said that with more resources they can do the job quicker, and given the likely paths of either tagging along with Mustang or tagging along with CD4, either will likely give them a much larger engineering pool than theyve ever had.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Buying the last of the I6's for me has nothing to do with profit.
Good for you but the person I replied to was looking at the last of the I-6s as an investment.

If you read my response to his post in that context, I think you'll understand my POV better.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #39
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

If there is another Falcon, it won't before 2015.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
If there is another Falcon, it won't before 2015.
More likely 2016 which means FG II shortly and a heavy mid cycle enhancement (FH?)
at around 2013/14 to keep the car fresh until 2016.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #41
Rodge
Banned

[QUOTE]
Quote:
In the F150, the Ecoboost V6 makes 270 Kw @ 5,000 and 565 nm @ 2500 rpm, only because the top end power is clipped to protect the image of the 6.2 Boss engine...Get that bottom end torque. A TRUCK engine has arguably more torque than our favorite F6, the EB only falls short because
the top end power is clipped for truck duty, watch the mustang EB due out next year, the power is just wow...people buying the last of an engine thinking that it will be a collectors gem...Ford is more than pleased with falcon and Territory, don't listen to journalist garbage,
next Falcon is still in with a big chance...
Perhaps you missed the point that the F6 makes its 565nm of torque from only 1950 r.p.m. and all the way through to 5,200 r.p.m. which gives it a magnificant spread of torque and it makes a stated output of 310 KW's, (considerably more than the 270KW's in the F150 application to which you refer). Torque and power outputs of this iconic inline six are very conservativly stated and are capped by the PCM well off maximum levels to protect the driveline and minimise warranty claims. This engine is easily capable of substaintially higher outputs some of which you'll see in the factory rated calims from this engine in the F6 FG2.

Call me a sceptic but I simply don't believe a twin turbo 3.5 - 3.7 litre V6 alloy engine is capable of running superior numbers with the same durability as our iconic cast iron block inline six. In 2015/6 55 years of history with this engine may come to an end. It'll be a sad day.

You see in this crazy PC world, blinded by moronic influences like carbon tax and emissions considerations, and heavily affected by global manufacturing considerations in a post GFC world, its all about emission regulations, global manufacturing efficiencies and making sure each part of the global model makes a profit. Enthusiasts will probably have to take it on the chin and suck it in, or find another brand more sympathetic to their requirements, which is probably what I'll do.

Last edited by Rodge; 11-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge

Perhaps you missed the point that the F6 makes its 565nm of torque from only 1950 r.p.m. and all the way through to 5,200 r.p.m. which gives it a magnificant spread of torque and it makes a stated output of 310 KW's, (considerably more than the 270KW's in the F150 application to which you refer).
Don't forget that we're also comparing a HP version of the I-6T with a rugged Truck version of the Ecoboost V6.
Perhaps you missed where I said that the Ecoboost V6's output is being deliberately regulated
at higher rpms so as not not impinge on the 6.2 V8 Boss engine.

The twin turbo V6 is capable of much more upper end horsepower and even 330 kw @6000 would be conservative.
When Ecoboost V6 Mustang is released next year, all will be amazed, especially Camaro V8 owners...

Quote:
Torque and power outputs of this iconic inline six are very conservativly stated and are capped by the PCM well off maximum levels to protect the driveline and minimise warranty claims. This engine is easily capable of substaintially higher outputs some of which you'll see in the factory rated calims from this engine in the F6 FG2.
So is the rugged and dependable Ecoboost V6 sold into no fewer than 9,000 F150s every month..
The EB V6 can even run on 91 RON without complaint, your F6 cannot do that very well....
Quote:
Call me a sceptic but I simply don't believe a twin turbo 3.5 - 3.7 litre V6 alloy engine is capable of running superior numbers with the same durability as our iconic cast iron block inline six. In 2015/6 55 years of history with this engine may come to an end. It'll be a sad day.
Well I have a more positive view and it's your choice to be glass half empty but when 2015/16 rolls around,
it will be the entire vehicle package we look at, not just the engines and I have a feeling that most will say,
"The king is dead, long live the king.."

Quote:
You see in this crazy PC world, blinded by moronic influences like carbon tax and emissions considerations, and heavily affected by global manufacturing considerations in a post GFC world, its all about emission regulations, global manufacturing efficiencies and making sure each part of the global model makes a profit. Enthusiasts will probably have to take it on the chin and suck it in, or find another brand more sympathetic to their requirements, which is probably what I'll do.
If Ford really wanted to kill Falcon, they would have done it years ago, they don't and it has friends in high places
but FoA need to convince the bean counters that a viable business plan exists for the next Falcon... it does btw...

I subscribe to the view that you can have your cake and eat it too, that everything new is not necessarily bad or a retrograde step. People ave been predicting the death of performance since the axing of the GTHO but guess what?
Cars are going faster, performing and handling better than ever, are safer and more fuel efficient too.

You see, performance doesn't go away, it just changes with the game, so insted of us being negative Nellies
crying in our beers, we should embrace change when it comes and move on because the fun doesn't go away,
it keeps getting better and better...

Last edited by jpd80; 11-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #43
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
If Ford really wanted to kill Falcon, they would have done it years ago, they don't and it has friends in high places
but FoA need to convince the bean counters that a viable business plan exists for the next Falcon... it does btw...

I subscribe to the view that you can have your cake and eat it too, that everything new is not necessarily bad or a retrograde step. People ave been predicting the death of performance since the axing of the GTHO but guess what?
Cars are going faster, performing and handling better than ever, are safer and more fuel efficient too.

You see, performance doesn't go away, it just changes with the game, so insted of us being negative Nellies
crying in our beers, we should embrace change when it comes and move on because the fun doesn't go away,
it keeps getting better and better...
I hope you're right, if not there's plenty of other marque's to choose from.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #44
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just want to say to jpd80 that I love reading your posts. Here and on Blue Oval Forums.

I don't know what you do or what part of Ford you work in but it's always good to read a voice of reason that is willing to walk the line between giving enough info to give hope to the masses and being fired for giving too much away.

Huzzah! to you, sir.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post