Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default HPV Racing

Firstly if you or you're kids ever get a chance to have a go at racing HPV's it is well worth it.

I will assume most people have no idea though what HPV racing is although some of you may have had some involvment in this sport however, just thought I would share with you what it is.

Essentially it is a series of races throughout the year in which teams of 8 riders compete in races ranging from 6hours to 24 hours. The HPV (Human Powered Vehicles) are recumbent trikes. They are fully enclosed and due to safety risks must contain a four point seat belt, side intrusion bars, head roll bar and knee roll bar. I have been racing these for 10 years now and over this time they have developed a lot. The last team I competed with broke the distance record in 2008 clocking up 1021kms over 24 hours. This was broken last weekend and is now at 1068kms.

They can be propelled rather fast if you're fit enough. I have done a lap of one of the tracks we race with an average speed of 56km/hr. Yes that is purely pedal powered. I have also, clocked it at 78km/hr on the Holden lang lang speed bowl. Although, another team mate clocked 84km/hr on the same day.

They are very different to cars but the racing has some similar issues such as in-experienced riders causing crashes. I was on the receiving end of this last Saturday night and hit a gutter at 50km/hr launching into a fence and ripping the fairing to pieces. In the process I fractured my knee cap. This ended our chances in this race as the bike was un-repairable after only 11hours of racing.
Worst of all though now I can't drive my car for the next 6 weeks because of the stupid bloody brace I have to wear :(

Some pics to help people visualize what garbage I am writing about!
The bike before the start of the last race and yes the fairing is full carbon fibre with kevlar reinforcement:

The fence with the spot I hit circled:

The bike after the crash:

Also a couple of pictures of the last bike I raced for the last 3 years and will be racing a new improved version next year.

The photo above shows how it is contained in a clamshell to make access easy to aid quick repairs and rider changes.

The photo below show our quick release head rest to enable us to quickly change the bike to suit different rider heights.

The photo below shows the adjustable boom again to aid in fitting riders ranging from 5'8"-6'3".

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: HPV Racing

That's some impressive air you got when you crashed!!
Old 21-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your from Melb Vic and racing SA machinery???
Good on ya mate seen the green light at last.

Have a mate who lectures at Tafe (not going to say which one ) but due to govmint crap and cutbacks ....
before TAFE = tershiry (sp?) and further education
now TAFE = try and f***in enroll
Old 21-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep some pretty impresive air. By all accounts was on ofthe biggest and most brutal crashes anyone that saw it has seen. One of the other riders also t-boned a bike that had been rolled in front of him at 55km/hr. Managed to break his ankle/foot in 2 spots.

The vic team I normally race for had a season off this year but I managed to get a ride with this SA team.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Impressive machine and a hell of a impressive crash.

I used to race these while at school, I loved it. Was always thinking about building one to ride around but the whole needing to exercise turned me off it. lol.