Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #31
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUIII I6: fuel consumption up by 10-20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
Already got the Tickford snorkel and an EF airbox lid (I think?) so I'm halfway there
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #32
Day-mow
rexnet

yeah yeha. just need to hollow it out etc

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update: my wife's car got rear ended and written off, so I've been a taxi for the past 3 weeks while we waited for our insurer to figure out its value... don't want to do any fiddling when we only have the one car. :(

Fuel consumption is still more than expected, even a couple of tanks after replacing the O2 sensor, and doing typically longer trips (taking the wife to work - 30km round trip - vs driving 5km to pick up the kid)

Once we have a car for the wifey I'll get the fuel filter replaced. If that doesn't work then it's time for a compression test.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #34
Day-mow
rexnet

that sucks man. the annoying thing is there are 4 million things you can replace before fuel economy is good. and sometimes its just not that easy/

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #35
XFJET

maybe coil packs? with a little bit of highway driving (and highway traffic) and not trashing the car my AU3 ute did 540km and the DTE said 80km left, it though that's pretty good for a 330000km auto motor
XFJET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #36
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFJET
maybe coil packs? with a little bit of highway driving (and highway traffic) and not trashing the car my AU3 ute did 540km and the DTE said 80km left, it though that's pretty good for a 330000km auto motor
thats awesome!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #37
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Injectors need reco? New air/fuel filters, muffler clogged up? A few things could be the cause
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #38
XFJET

a lot of the time i think you have to think of it this way ... the engine is an air pump, air needs to get in and out as easy as possible so done your air filter and done your O2 sensor now it's time to look what else impedes his ... engine needs fuel? pull the fuel rail out and have a look at the spray pattern of the injectors it that's good then the last thing would be your cat, those things over time collapse and restrict flow massively when they do
XFJET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #39
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finally found my Gregory's AU manual - was starting to think I was going batty, that I'd never actually bought it, but it turns out the wife tucked it under the couch a few years ago. It's in pristine condition, no grease on the pages!

In the engine and fuel management chapter it says that the AU requires proprietary diagnostic equipment to read errors (unlike the EL or BA which are standard OBD and OBDII respectively), so as a compromise they have outlined several component level checks that can be performed to try to diagnose faults. First thing I'll be checking is whether the O2 sensor is indicating a rich mixture when the engine is at operating temp.
Old 18-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #40
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Actually, a thought ocurred (shock horror!) - you should check the balance hose on the fuel tank isn't leaking.....
Old 18-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #41
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greetings

You've not said anything about manual / auto, roof racks, change in aerodynamics from a minor accident, any chance someone may be siphoning off the odd litre or two.

My AU 111 I6 gets 520km round town for 60 litres and 715km on the highway for 61 litres - stock except for SS big mouth cai
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #42
prn31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
I finally found my Gregory's AU manual - was starting to think I was going batty, that I'd never actually bought it, but it turns out the wife tucked it under the couch a few years ago. It's in pristine condition, no grease on the pages!

In the engine and fuel management chapter it says that the AU requires proprietary diagnostic equipment to read errors (unlike the EL or BA which are standard OBD and OBDII respectively), so as a compromise they have outlined several component level checks that can be performed to try to diagnose faults. First thing I'll be checking is whether the O2 sensor is indicating a rich mixture when the engine is at operating temp.
The fuel economy on my AUII FAirmont wagon around town hasn't been great - around 14 - 15 litres per 100km.

I got my mechanic to check it out and he went through the diagnostics and ended up replacing the O2 sensor which was eratic. Everything else seemed ok and it has new filters, plugs etc and I run it on 95 octane fuel.

Still a bit early to tell whether my economy has improved by much though...
prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post