Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Wink Lincoln RWD flagship rumours resurface

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-...resurface.html

Quote:
Lincoln’s long-rumored rear-wheel drive flagship is back in the headlines. The latest report involving the Lincoln range-topper suggests the sedan will be part of the brand’s ambitious plan to take on the likes of Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.

According to “two independent sources”, Lincoln is seriously considering the development of a new rear-wheel drive sedan that would rival vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Lexus LS. Such a project has been kicked around at Ford before, but the automaker’s improved financial outlook has reportedly given the project new legs.

Although we’d welcome such a project with open arms, we’re taking the latest report with a grain of salt. Ford Inside News describes the rear-wheel drive Lincoln as the “pinnacle of Ford’s technology prowess”, but then suggests the sedan could be based off the Mustang’s platform. While the Mustang certainly is an excellent car in its own right, we’d hardly call its live rear axle the “pinnacle of Ford’s technology prowess”.

If Lincoln’s rear-wheel drive initiative ever does come to fruition, it won’t likely be until the end of the decade.
O rly

I wonder if FoA have had any involvement in this (if indeed the 'rumour' has some truth to it). We know there are Mustang mules getting about with CB IRS and forged alloy double wishbone front suspension, and that Interceptor concept of a few years ago had IRS as well - with alloy control arms. Could make the next announcement from FoA rather interesting.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Lincoln RWD flagship rumours resurface

Here is the original article the other references.

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums...Flagship-Sedan

Quote:
Sources: Lincoln Considering RWD Flagship Sedan
Will Lincoln chase after the high-end of the luxury market?
www.FordInsideNews.com
October 7, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

Ford has made it very clear that the company has every intention of revitalizing the Lincoln brand, much like the revitalization the Ford brand has had over the last several years. With a new designer and its own development team, it sounds like new Lincoln product ideas are taking shape- including a possible flagship.

FIN has been able to confirm with two independent sources that Ford is considering the development of a Lincoln flagship sedan. Both sources state that the car under consideration would be rear-wheel drive and be the pinnacle of Ford’s technology prowess. One source suggested the car would reside on a heavily modified variant of the Mustang platform.

Ford Motor Company’s greatly improved financial health is said to have sparked the discussion of the potential Lincoln flagship, which would undoubtedly be a very costly future product program.

FIN’s sources stated that Ford wants Lincoln to have a competitor to the Lexus LS and Mercedes Benz S-Class, which is the segment that this new flagship would target. General Motors’ Cadillac brand is also working on a flagship rear-wheel drive sedan to chase after the German luxury marquees; a car that is said to have a price range that tops out in six-figures.

This news comes just as the fate of Ford of Australia's rear-wheel drive Falcon sedan is in question. Perhaps Ford will progress with plans for a global rear-wheel drive program?

At this point it’s tough to say if the Lincoln flagship will ever see the light of day, but if it does…don’t expect it until later this decade. By then Lincoln’s currently unclear direction will be far more visible.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The F150 has a live rear axle, the Expedition which shares the same chassis has IRS. That said, there are too many maybes here. Maybe they will build the car, and if they do, maybe it will share the Mustang platform. Maybe it will be from the next Mustang, who knows?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hurts to say it, but if it's a "limo flagship", then why does it matter which end is doing the driving? I'm sure Mr Big sitting in the back isn't going to know or care where the drive is coming from, as long as it's up to the luxury standards required...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Clearly it would have to be based on next gen Mustang. Makes no sense to base it on something based from 2005 when it will possibly go on sale somewhere around 2015 and not get a major revision until after 2020.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Hurts to say it, but if it's a "limo flagship", then why does it matter which end is doing the driving? I'm sure Mr Big sitting in the back isn't going to know or care where the drive is coming from, as long as it's up to the luxury standards required...
You might want to update BMW and Merc on that one, they seem to be lagging behind. Even Lexus, who basis their cars off FWD platforms has RWD AFAIK, with the exception of AWD and the new little model (talking about large sedans)
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Maybe it will look something like this ....

SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

wasnt that concept a precursor to the previous us design language centred around the 3 bar grille
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-...resurface.html

O rly

I wonder if FoA have had any involvement in this (if indeed the 'rumour' has some truth to it). We know there are Mustang mules getting about with CB IRS and forged alloy double wishbone front suspension, and that Interceptor concept of a few years ago had IRS as well - with alloy control arms. Could make the next announcement from FoA rather interesting.
One would assume that if this was to be looked at FoA would have a chance to quote on doing the job. At the end of the day it would work well for both the Lincoln and Falcon.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Funny how there is design jobs going at FoA aswell...

IRS RWD...Global platforms...large sedans...

Only one country in fords empire does that now...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

But drive.con.u said...

Seriously, you hit it in one.

The way I see it, and to add to your way of thought, for the past forty years Falcon has been unique to Australia and designed in Australia, made on a shoe-string budget, but the next Falcon will finally go one better - designed in Australia using global resources and a fat, juicy budget.

This story (thanks Warrior) is what we suspected may happen after Ford announced they're ready to take Lincoln to the next level, and it ties in well with our interests.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Irrelevant to this, as even if they decided to do a flagship RWD Lincoln it would be years away from starting design work.

If it was going to be a mega dollar flagship they wouldn't want to use a "cheap" Falcon platform either, you'd have to imagine it would be a clean sheet chock full of alloy bits and all the trimmings that a Falcon couldn't get due to cost. I just can't see them doing it, unless they maybe take the platform, stretch it and replace everything they feel could be an improvement.

Just like the DEW98 platform used in Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, Jag S type and eventually highly modified into Jag XF. FoA evaluated it for Falcon but it was too expensive, to much alloy suspension bits which Ford couldn't afford.

I remember seeing Lincoln LS evaluation vehicles on the road not long after I started working for Ford, early 2000's.

Read a Motortrend article pretty much confirming 2014 Mustang will have Control Blade IRS though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Irrelevant to this, as even if they decided to do a flagship RWD Lincoln it would be years away from starting design work.

If it was going to be a mega dollar flagship they wouldn't want to use a "cheap" Falcon platform either, you'd have to imagine it would be a clean sheet chock full of alloy bits and all the trimmings that a Falcon couldn't get due to cost. I just can't see them doing it, unless they maybe take the platform, stretch it and replace everything they feel could be an improvement.

Just like the DEW98 platform used in Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, Jag S type and eventually highly modified into Jag XF. FoA evaluated it for Falcon but it was too expensive, to much alloy suspension bits which Ford couldn't afford.

I remember seeing Lincoln LS evaluation vehicles on the road not long after I started working for Ford, early 2000's.

Read a Motortrend article pretty much confirming 2014 Mustang will have Control Blade IRS though.
So what about the FG's double wishbone front end with forged alloy control arms? Too expensive back in the DEW98 days and apparently too expensive for GM's Zeta, but it made the grade for the FG. I think this cost excuse was for Ford a convenient way of saying too hard.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the modules (front, rear suspension units, drivetrains) that make the luxury car "platform", not the chassis and hardpoints. If Lincoln and FoA shared the same bodyshell, they could put whatever modules in it they liked to suit their market and it would suit each other's needs well.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Maybe it will look something like this ....

I love that car. Get me one with a new 5.0 miami motor please
Old 25-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Would love to see Lincoln penetrate the market here. Maybe they can pick up where the Fairlane left off......
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah Scotty agree with you totally the G6 is nice but its still just a falcon.

I think this is FoA chance to get some real funding if they get off their lazy asses at head office and sell it to the yanks

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
So what about the FG's double wishbone front end with forged alloy control arms? Too expensive back in the DEW98 days and apparently too expensive for GM's Zeta, but it made the grade for the FG. I think this cost excuse was for Ford a convenient way of saying too hard.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the modules (front, rear suspension units, drivetrains) that make the luxury car "platform", not the chassis and hardpoints. If Lincoln and FoA shared the same bodyshell, they could put whatever modules in it they liked to suit their market and it would suit each other's needs well.
Greater emphasise has been placed on keeping weight down compared to back then, and its more cost effective now as well.

Back then the DEW98 platform had alloy just about everywhere in the suspension, not just a couple of pieces like the FG.

Changing everything to suit what they want could end up costing more than a clean sheet. It would definately need to be stretched and possibly be made a tad wider. How bigs an S class compared to a Falcon or Fairlane?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Like everything it depends on volume.

If you are selling twice as many units you can get away with making half as much money assuming you spend the same amount on R&D.

Turning falcon from an Australia only to a global platofmr sold in every market would have the potential to increase sales 5-10 fold.

Its all a matter of scale.

If the vehicle is sold globally you can also afford to accept lower volumes locally in the case it is decided to take the product more upmarket.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford Australia will play a big role here, but I don't think any division is going to take 100% responsibility, I think it will be spread globally. That seems to be how they operate now. The chief engineer of the (Canadian-built) 5.0 and 6.2 V8s is British, the 6.7 diesel involved people from Dagenham and is built in Mexico

Last edited by chevypower; 26-10-2011 at 05:38 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post