Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Fastest Australian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you would not call a FPV Force 6, Force 8, F6X or Pursuit or even all the XW-XY GTHOs production cars either?
Yeah, but they are all Fords, so that makes it acceptable.

Ya have to laugh when comments like that are made as it reeks of sour grapes...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #32
Deaks

There's no sour grapes. I didn't realize that you weren't allowed to have your own opinion around here.

I don't think 138 constitutes a production car, limited production i believe is closer to the truth.

Either way i still like to see an FG GT run against one.
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaks
There's no sour grapes. I didn't realize that you weren't allowed to have your own opinion around here.

I don't think 138 constitutes a production car, limited production i believe is closer to the truth.

Either way i still like to see an FG GT run against one.
Of course your entitled to an opinion, thats what a public forum is about, discussing opinions on different topics which bear relevance to the Forums existance.
In this case we are discussing wether Holdens W427 is a production car. Technically it is, but because were all Ford enthusiasts, hence the reason we are drawn to this Forum, we quite often find ourselves snubbing our noses at the competitions efforts and undermine them where possible with whatever we think will do the job.
It is no more Holdens fault than it is Fords that the red mob shoe horned a ball tearer into their local offering and until the current GT355 Ford have done very little except a sticker package and tune to insire us.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it ain't the F6 it's most likely to be a HSV of some kind. I wouldn't bet money on it being a GT
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #35
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
If it ain't the F6 it's most likely to be a HSV of some kind. I wouldn't bet money on it being a GT
Fastest is a soft undefined question.
However 1/4 times & speed traps are statistics.
If the question is what is the quickest Oz built & enginereed production car then it is the FGF6.
As I read it the best 1/4 mile slip for a Oz built car (low production car) goes to the 427 Walkinshaw crapodore & they didn't even sell all of the production run of 207 ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
This interests me. I am an old guy and drove a new XW phase 2 that was owned by a friend. He wanted to buy one but the local dealer in Sydney had sold out. Low and behold, some weeks later he had a call that one was available. It was in the Ford Racing (or whatever they were called then) livery. He was told that Ford had specially built about a dozen for their own attempt at Bathurst but released a few that they didn't need just before the race.

I personally drove it and at 8000 RPM it was doing 81 MPH in first. A look at the manual said it was meant to do 10.1 MPH per 1000 RPM in first which matched perfectly. But the gearbox ratios after that, that is 2nd and 3rd were very different from the manual. So Ford sure did make some special ones.

If you read this far, thanks for your patience.
Ford offered quite a few different diff ratios, plus either the close or wide ratio top loader, so there were many different gearing options. Road cars were rev limited to 6150 rpm I think, the race cars had the rev limiters disconnected so could run as far as they were game to take them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem
Fastest is a soft undefined question.
However 1/4 times & speed traps are statistics.
If the question is what is the quickest Oz built & enginereed production car then it is the FGF6.
As I read it the best 1/4 mile slip for a Oz built car (low production car) goes to the 427 Walkinshaw crapodore & they didn't even sell all of the production run of 207 ?
In the Wheels top speed test the F6 was fractions faster to 100, but the GT was quicker across the 1/4 and had a slighter higher top speed before the limiter kicked in. But in reality they are both limited to 250, whichever car can go the most over 250 is solely related to which one has the speedo calibrated slower to let it creep over 250. It probably varies from car to car.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post