Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
cdafam
Fezvet

Default Scuff marks/scratches on rims

Hi guys

Just a quick one. I have the stock rims on my Zetec (2010). Lately I've been kerbside parking real close and, on occasion, hit the curb a little (especially on a rainy, foggy night). I've discovered light/medium scratches right on the part of the rim just next to the tyre itself.

Just so all you guys know what the stock rims look like, here's one I found off google http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/bln...3477d5_20.jpeg

What's the most cost effective way to fix this? I've read elsewhere that if it is primarily aluminium, not much can be done and a replacement is the only solution. If that's the case, I've heard of quotes of $800/rim from Ford, which in no way will I entertain. I found a guy in Vic advertising on Gumtree asking $350 for two.

It's not a major issue, but it's really bugging me at the moment.

I'll post up a pic later tonight when I have my camera available.

cdafam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

Default Re: Scuff marks/scratches on rims

How bad is the damage on the rim? (guess we'll see when you put up a pic). With the painted finish on those wheels they should be easy to repair, there are a few places (both shop and mobile) that will be able to repair the damage and respray the wheel. What state are you located in? Wouldn't cost more than $150 based on previous personal experiences...

cheers,
Julza

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Caydus

You could always DIY if you're feeling brave.

Here's a video on how
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfnui1M4OE
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There should be plenty of people selling standard Zetec rims. When I replace ours next week I'm going to have them tested for straightness. Just maybe one of them is not bent and I can sell it. 3 of them have no scuffs but I know there's at least 2 and possibly all 4 rims are bent. Most people with those rims are in the same boat so there should be tons of single and pairs of rims around for sale
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Caydus

Deleted
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
cdafam
Fezvet

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies so far.

@Caydus: mmm, I'm just going to find out what the allow is on the rims before I head into any repairs. Thing is, the two front wheels are scratched lightly too, so if the repair quotes are cheap enough, it might just be worthwhile.

Anyway, couldn't find my digital cam or SLR, so just took it on my crappy HTC. Sorry I'll see if I can get a clearer pic tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are you located????

There is a place in Ingleburn in Western Sydney that will have them looking like new for around $100-150 per rim.

It's cheaper to be careful when you park and not be rushed, as the damage is expensive to repair compared to taking an extra 30 seconds to park your car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
cdafam
Fezvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julza
How bad is the damage on the rim? (guess we'll see when you put up a pic). With the painted finish on those wheels they should be easy to repair, there are a few places (both shop and mobile) that will be able to repair the damage and respray the wheel. What state are you located in? Wouldn't cost more than $150 based on previous personal experiences...

cheers,
Julza
I'm in Sydney, Parramatta/Silverwater area. So the best quote would be $100-150/rim??

Haven't managed new photos yet. But the deepest scratch is probably 2-3mm deep.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
trumpy73

tip: adjust your side mirror so you could see your wheels when parking. There is a sweet spot where you could still see behind you and the rims. Easier to park and easy on the wallet.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post