Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Fishman

Question Potential Au2 owner

Hi all

I'm having a look at an AUII XR6 VCT on the weekend and I was hoping you guys and girls would give met some pointers to look out for?

Particularly relating to the au series falcon.

From the photos the car looks in good nick.

Thanks

Dan

Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Potential Au2 owner

Upper mounts for the rear suspension, unless they have been replaced recently and depending on the kms on the car, will almost certainly be in need of replacement, which would cost about $220 + labor.
You can check if they need replacement by taking a test drive with somebody else sitting in the back seat with the seat folded down and the trim pulled away from one side of the car (above the wheel), then going for a drive on a bumpy road and seeing if the mounts move, squeak or knock. If they do they need replacement. Its not a safety issue but its annoying and worsens handling.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Upper mounts for the rear suspension, unless they have been replaced recently and depending on the kms on the car, will almost certainly be in need of replacement, which would cost about $220 + labor.
You can check if they need replacement by taking a test drive with somebody else sitting in the back seat with the seat folded down and the trim pulled away from one side of the car (above the wheel), then going for a drive on a bumpy road and seeing if the mounts move, squeak or knock. If they do they need replacement. Its not a safety issue but its annoying and worsens handling.
If you do have the above problem, there is now an alternative to genuine replacements.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11353903
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

Is your heart set on a VCT? I have not heard great reports from owners in terms of fuel consumption, and the ability to modify them (cams etc)..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ve owned a s2 vct xr6 for near on 7 years, my experience anyway, it has been pretty good, yes it can chew the juice if you flog it like any thing else, but driven smoothly can be pretty decent, perhaps being a little heavier compared to the non IRS models they might have the edge, , my average driving around the burbs of traffic jam melb is probably 400/450 k`s to the tank without trying, can do a little better with lighter foot, on the highway 760 k`s air con running (2 large people) i`ve done to the tank, heading north up the hume from melb some traffic and a few good hills,
have seen more on the distance to empty readout in ideal conditions, but never followed through,
as Block 58 mentioned top rear shocker mounts go eventually, i think if your suspension cops a flogging they tend to go a bit faster, ie rough roads, high tyre pressure, belting them over speed humps, mine lasted 160,000 k`s, but i do have a bit more mechanical sympathy for it probably than most, still on the same ball joints suspension bushes at 200,000+ ks ;).

normal wear and tear items i`d check for, steering rack looseness/leaks, driveline oil leaks,particulary the front of the engine, good coloring of the coolant in the egg tank and cooling system leaks, slipping auto, like anything if it`s been maintained it should be a good car,
if it has the original cd player in it you might want to give it a test run, they can be problematic in their old age, lift up the carpet in the boot and check for water leaks, rear wheel bearing in the irs are a bit more costly to replace than banjo models, not a major drama but if they are noisey i`d be asking for about 600 off the price or let them replace them, latter is prefered .
hope that helps.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
GUTLES
Adam.

Check for Rust in the Inner Sill's.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Fishman

Hmmm. Thanks for your advice.

My hearts not particularly set on a VCT, but it seems a good price for the k's (only 153000).

I know that I'll be getting RACQ to take a look regardless, but at least there's some things there I can check while I have a look.

The fuel has me a bit worried. It's a manual and I'll be mostly doing hwy k's to gold coast and back. Suppose it can't be worse than the turbo I had!

I won't be going to the extent of changing cams or anything, if I was there'd prob be not much point in a VCT over a plain xr6.

I'll let you know how I go
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Fishman

Took the car for a test drive this morning.

Nicely presented, clean as described. Nothing looks bent / out of place. There were a few small issues, that I can forgive for a $6k car.

Drove well but this is what I want an opinion on.

The gearbox felt funny to me. It's like there was a short shift kit on it or something, but the gear stick moves around like it's in neutral, when it's in 4th gear. Ive never seen that before. Has anybody else?

Also it crunches when it goes into reverse.

Pity, it was such a nice car to actually drive. Felt like I was home again (I'm currently driving my wife's lancer).

Cheers

Dan.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman
Took the car for a test drive this morning.

The gearbox felt funny to me. It's like there was a short shift kit on it or something, but the gear stick moves around like it's in neutral, when it's in 4th gear. Ive never seen that before. Has anybody else?

Also it crunches when it goes into reverse.

Dan.
Hi Dan,

Gearstick moving around a bit is normal.

The banging into reverse isn't. I'd avoid it on that one alone.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Fishman

Thanks gk, I can handle a gear stick moving around a bit, but this was ridiculous.

More I thought about during the day, the more I'm inclined not to take it. I really want to avoid buying a car, just to turn around and have to do major work to a gearbox or something. Shame.

Trying to tee up a drive next weekend in a different one (non vct). We'll see how we go!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not familiar with these boxes, but i suspect the gear stick moving around could be a bush at bottom of the shift, broken engine mount? crunching reverse , clutch not fully actuating?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post