Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default buying men's suits online anyone done it?

So I've just moved jobs for the second time in 12 months, this time it's a Monday-Friday job that is a lot more professional and corporate dress is required. I've collected over the last couple of years a reasonable range of shirts but only have one suit, which brings me to my question. Hate you had any success in buying suits over the internet? obviously getting the correct measurements taken accurately do you think it's possible to have some success? if they don't last long it's no great worry I suppose I need something to make sure I'm dressed appropriately which will slowly be replaced with a greater quality suit. if you have had a great experience with a site would love to hear about it

Old 24-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: buying men's suits online anyone done it?

I have bought a couple of blazers online but if you're buying a suit you've gotta try it on before you buy, it's the only way, otherwise you seriously risk getting one that doesn't fit, and even a $1000 suit will look crap if it doesn't fit right. You can get a nice mad men style suit for well under $300 in places like Myers, Man to Man etc. I bought a light grey and a dark blue suit recently and tried various size combinations before I bought them to make sure they fit just right. You've gotta see yourself in the mirror first.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

You probably want a 2 trouser suit. ie 1 jacket, 2 pairs on pants.

Buy locally, they will need alteration. I find that different brands fit differently and look slightly different.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
05_ENFORCER

If you are the "perfect" business suit fit, no probs, buy online.

If you are + a few pounds or out of shape in the wrong areas, (height and width) don't buy online unless you can offset the tailor mods.

Simple.

Old 25-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You got a "Rivers" store near you? I got a whole suit for something stupid like $50 and the fit was pretty good. I hate wearing the bloody things... Only suggesting this if you want online to save money.

Cheers.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a an answer to the OP's question but some info in relation to suits in general.

I've always bought suits from Ron Bennett but after the last two experiences never again.

1. Bought a Hugo Boss 2 trouser suit from RB for around $1,200. After 6 months the seam at the bum of one of the pants split. I took it as a one off and just got it fixed and moved on without complaint

2. Two years later I buy 2 supposedly "Italian made" 2 trouser suits for $950. After 3 months both pants in one of the suits split - one split when I was at a client function , so went home and checked the other pair and sure enough, they too were split. They fixed them but I'll never buy another suit from them

The best suit experience I've had was buying tailor made in Thailand. I bought 3 last time I was there and have served me well.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
pursuit2359

Unless there was a particular brand of suit where I was familiar with the style, cut and sizes, I wouldn't buy online.

If you're in the city or a shopping centre, it's not difficult to find several suit stores close to each other. My advice would be to go to a few, try suits on and see what sort of service you get. In my experience, the brand name places (Peter Jackson, Man to Man, etc) aren't that great. Try to find a sales person who knows their stuff and sells good product. You should be able to get a good suit (pure wool, good cross-weave) for less than $300.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with labels like Hugo Boss (or others). To me, a label doesn't make the product any better.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post