Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
fpv_gt
Jezza

Default Leg room for big peoples

Hey everyone,
Just a question in leg room and comfort for the driver.
Im over 6ft 6in tall. Is the Modeo built for tall people.
I have a FG atm.

Cheers

Jeremy Clarkson:

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary….That's what gets you."
fpv_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Mackspower

Default Re: Leg room for big peoples

Hi fpv_gt. I'm 6ft 3in tall and I have no problem with leg room.

Even my passengers behind me have good legroom with the drivers seat all the way back.

My wife has an FG (G6) and the Mondeo definitely has more lateral space (legroom) than the FG. And the FG is only a little wider than the Mondeo.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
nevetsg

Hi, I am 6'2" and this is the first car I have ever driven that I don't just jump into and put the seat all the way back. It has That much travel.
Also be sure to check the height adjustment as putting it all the way down gives some more length.
Rear seat leg room is also good but the Head space is a bit lacking. Especially if you have a sun roof.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
JimStone

6'4" tall, solid proportionate build. I bought a Mondeo Zetec Ecoboost Powershift earlier this year mainly because it was easier to get into than the FG. Had to thread my left leg under the steering wheel of the FG, if I didn't do that just right my size 13 boots would hand up on the brake pedal jamming me half in the car and twist my knee. Simply put, the steering wheel in the FG is far too low and sits too close to the seat squab even with wheel adjusted all the way up and seat base all the way down. If the FG sat about 4 inches higher off the ground this ergonomic nightmare might be liveable, but as it sits at stock height it just does not work.

I found the Mondeo to have more room for the drvier than the FG and is much easier to get into - very simmilar to the AU Fairmont Ghia with Tickford suspension option it replaced. I have the seat squab all the way down, seat back reclined about 10 degrees off vertical, steering wheel adjustment fully up and out, seat about 3" forward from maximum rearward travel. The anti whiplash plate sits right in the middle of my shoulder blades so the seat back angle was critical to getting a comfortable driving position. I have added sheepskin seat covers to aid in long distance driving comfort, the only other thing I've added comfor wise was leather cover for the centre console. That being said, overall I would rate ths Mondeo as one of the more comfortable cars I have had the pleasure of driving, getting you head around how large this "Medium Size" car is takes a little while...

Try to stay away from the Titanium - lots of nice kit to be sure, but you will loose about 2" of valuable head room to the standard fitment sunroof.

Last edited by JimStone; 30-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
... the only other thing I've added comfort wise was leather cover for the centre console.
This is the console cover I used. Quick delivery, easy instalation, perfect fit, good grain match and tactile finish - rediculously improved driving experience from such an insignificant ergonomic change.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
fpv_gt
Jezza

Awesome guys. I will be shopping tommorrow.

With the FG i sit down first and then roll my legs in and under the steering wheel.
I tell ya, Wheels or Motor should do a comparison of small to medium vehicles that suit taller peoples.

Jeremy Clarkson:

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary….That's what gets you."
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how does the mondy go for shoulder room?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
how does the mondy go for shoulder room?
Here is a thread that might be of interest; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247265

Not specifically regarding shoulder room, but without the exceptional width 3 baby seats would not fit. (Big baby seats also)...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
fpv_gt
Jezza

Bought a 2008 TDCI blue hatchback.
And yes i dont have to put the seat all the way back either.
Still cant believe it...

Thanks for the input

Jeremy Clarkson:

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
nevetsg

Welcome to the club. Enjoy your stay.
Soon you too will be wondering why ford don't sell a lot more of these things.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
fpv_gt
Jezza

One month on...
still loving it.
eyes are now open....lol
Ford AUS should be building these here under the falcon name.

Awesome car.

Jeremy Clarkson:

2 users like this post: