Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default info needed from our beach/surf fishers

I imagine there would be quite a few surf fishers in amongst our fold so my questions

what size/type sinker do you use

what rig works best for beach fishing......paternoster or 1 below and 2 above

do you burley the area, what with?

fresh bait, as in blood/beach/sand worms...gathered in the area

ideas please, thinking about shooting over to the eyre peninsula for a week or so, working our way up the beaches to Ceduna

just a quick break! before we knick off in March

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Default Re: info needed from our beach/surf fishers

We used to fish Mt Camel at venus Bay......Sinker size to suit the water you are fishing in but off a beach, always a star sinker.

Don't bother with ganged hooks for salmon, just a paternoster rig, 2 hooks above with pieces of pilchard for bait.

If i'm burleying, i usually just break up pillies while i'm fishing and chuck them in.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Where you live Poppa do you get sharks? only reason i ask is when i go fishing and we burley up it just brings the sharks in and then all you catch is sharks, and they are boring.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not any out here mate, no water, but we are shooting off for a quick break up around the bend a bit, just the minister for all things enjoyable and myself

starting at Cowell, or I should say a little free camp just down from Cowell, then onto Port lincoln for water and power up the batteries then just mooch up the coast, fishing as we go to maybe Ceduna

taking the caravan and we are just going to take it as it comes..

I dont reckon the ball and chain would like the thought of sharks around her while she's fishing, I might keep that one to myself

normally we just head north up around arkaroola and sit under a gum tree for a week for a break and to get away from people and work but we just felt like a "sea change" this time with a bit of fishing thrown in

if we actually do get to endanger a fish well thats a bonus!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poppa buy fishing guide to South Australia by shane mensforth full of good info will tell you where the fishing is and what you will catch,bait etc. i hope you have a good break it's a great part of the state.
Old 14-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

it really depends on the conditions, but i generally use a running star sinker above a swivel with a half meter or so of thicker line / wire trace. 3 gang hooks in a pilchard. Has caught me some nice flathead over time

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
PALE ALE

Plenty of sharks around the Ceduna area. Especially west of Ceduna ( Cactus, Fowlers, Dog Fence, Yalata)If you like beach fishing, doesnt get any better. Big Salmon, big Mulloway, big sharks
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post