Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #61
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Re: 71 litres of fuel into a 68 litre tank

There are places you can officially report them to if you suspect dodgy gauges on the bowsers.

I had a job interview with the agency that follows up and goes out verifies various workplaces to ensure they are within the law.

http://www.measurement.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
Old 31-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #62
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Best I ever did was 71.5 in my 68 ltr tank. But I did fill it as much as i could.
I just put it down to the fill pipe.

Good to see you got the outcome you deserve mate.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie

Last edited by Coyote mk3; 31-05-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #63
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
That's because they were on Vodafone.
positive proof that nothing works on vodafail

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #64
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have ever bothered to read the signs at the servos they tell you that you MUST have containers on the ground to prevent static build up. containers have ignited from static discharge when not on the ground, but we started with a comment on a video camera how did we get to static electricity . if anyone has found a way to power portable devices from static electricity they will make a squilion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
....and you'd better not fill your plastic 20L containers .... or wear a nylon shirt.....or get out of your non leather seat car....or....

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 31-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #65
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So exactly how many fires have been caused by a mobile phone?.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #66
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my previous experience at working at a servo,1. we get accused of short amounts on a daily basis, on these grounds we would have pumps down every day.The few times someone actually made a formal complaint and we put a pump out for up to 48hours before a test guy could come there was never a discrepancy, nor any compensation to us for having to prove ourselves. I am the only one there am I suposed to shut off all pumps just to go check yours? 2. You are suposed to bring an anti static container to fill, not a 2ltr milk bottle or juice bottle or glass mayonase jar. Put it on the ground to fill it not hold it up in the air to then ground when its full.
Old 31-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #67
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

zero!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
So exactly how many fires have been caused by a mobile phone?.

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #68
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
zero!
better to be safe than sorry!

next you will be saying that banning nail clippers from Australian flights is an over-reaction to an American incident.
oh the humanity!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #69
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Got a call back, said pump was not calibrated correctly. They haven't told me the nitty gritty details but from what i can gather it is just the pump out of calibration from when it was done 7 weeks ago. said pump is out 17% and i will be refunded 17% of my fuel total.

17% for 7 weeks!
Now that's a tidy profit!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #70
cjf
GT Hardcore

I had a similar experience at my local BP recently pump said my 20L jerry can took 25.3L , I complained and 4 days later I got a phone call and an apology from BP customer service.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

whatever happened to massive fines for the operators with incorrectly calibrated pumps??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #72
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

careful or the fall of your high horse will cause a injury. At no time did I indicate if I was for or against the ban . I just answered a question with the correct number of recorded fires yet you draw all sorts of false conclusions from that.
In fact I have no issue with the ban as using a mobile near the open tank can cause an ignition, not from the normal operation of the phone but form an electrical fault providing an ignition source so close to the open fuel tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
better to be safe than sorry!

next you will be saying that banning nail clippers from Australian flights is an over-reaction to an American incident.
oh the humanity!

Rides:

Old 31-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #73
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
whatever happened to massive fines for the operators with incorrectly calibrated pumps??
Like the fuel prices the government don't care these days, we are all suckers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #74
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xisled, I have a 20 liter jerry can which I don't trust as I have put up to 25 liters in at servos without over flowing it. jerry can or servo pump fault?
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #75
hess

As said previously. All fuel containers have a safe fill level. Just because a jerry can is known as a 20L container it doesn't mean its 20L to the cap. Its like all the farmers i deliver to that have 2000L tanks. I put in 2200L because that is what can fit in. The SFL is 2000L. The old 5L cans for the mowers will take 6 or 7 litres with a SFL of 5L.

Sent from the family throne
hess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #76
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a struggle to get 5 (4.6+.4) in my mower can!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #77
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

All fuel and gas containers/tanks should have a 20% extra capacity above the "full" point. I have a couple of old metal jerry cans and they both take exactly 20L to the neck on flat ground before they start overflowing. If you tilt the can over so the neck is the highest point you can get an extra couple of litres in but that air cavity is there above the fill point for a reason; to allow for fuel expansion in hot conditions. The same applies to a car fuel tank. If you pull up at a pump and happen to be on a slight slope where the filler neck is higher than on flat ground suddenly you can get an extra few litres in before the shut off and vice versa if the neck is on the low side of the slope; suddenly you fill the car and the gauge says the car's not full. A lot of people don't think of this stuff when they pull up to a bowser and find a discrepancy when filling and neither do the checkout monkeys when said customer comes in to complain about being short changed. I put nearly 85L into our EL wagons' "72L" tank by slowly trickling in fuel till the tank was absolutely chock-a-block thanks to a sloping forecourt, the air bleed off return line and extra void built into the tank above the filler neck entry point that allows for fuel expansion. ( WARNING!! - only ever try this if you are immediately on your way out of town on a long trip and use the fuel before it has a chance to expand in the heat and do any damage.). That little trick got me from Dubbo to Broken hill without having to stop for fuel a couple of times. The point is, quite often it's not the pump that's the problem, it's the prevailing conditions and person holding the pump handle that can cause the discrepancy.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post