Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
b2428

Default Carrying Kayaks

I'm not sure where this is supposed to go so hopefully someone can move if need be. Just wondering if anybody has used roof racks to carry 2 kayaks. I'm looking at getting 2 fishing kayaks and at 82cm wide they are to wide to place side by side on the roof racks on the mondeo. So my questions is.... is it possible to carry 2 on top of each other on roof racks. Will this pose any problems? Its cheaper to buy roof racks then it is to buy a towbar and then a box trailer.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Default Re: Carrying Kayaks

You can buy racks that mount them side on, it may be possible to mount them side by side using a normal flat type mounts(set of 4 holders)as they curve to the shape of the hull, because you have two kayaks they could lean against each other but it will be difficult by yourself to do... extra hands will be needed! Fishing kayaks tend to be pretty flat across the hull shape so it will work in your favor
Just a word of warning with a plastic kayak if you mount them upside down on the rack wind will push down on them because of the hull shape and compress them at hyway speeds resulting in your straps becoming loose!(DAMHIKT)
Always mount them up the right way so the wind lifts them against the straps, mounting the two kayaks back to back should be ok in this respect.
Old 18-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

As above, we use two of these......

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...er_575_19.aspx

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
b2428

I looked at the J-rack carriers. But im worried about where to mount the front and rear tie downs as im not sure if there is a hook under each side of the front and rear bar. Having said that im looking like getting a nudge bar rolled up to mount some lights on the front of it so i can use this as a tiedown point.

Old 18-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had 2 fishing Kayaks on roof racks on a VE Commodore from Sydney to Newcastle no problem. We had one upside down and the other on a 45 deg. angle and ensured they were secured correctly. I do the same with the roof racks on my van, it's just a pain getting the kayaks up that high. I have a rhino universal loader now.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Securing them is the most important part. And being aware of your new clearance height, plenty of people have taken stuff off their roof quickly by driving into their garage....
Old 18-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

In the warmer months I carry two kayaks regularly on my Rola Racks, one top of the other with two straps, tied right, they got no chance of budgin'.

Thankfully our garage is quite tall too, not that I forget and drive in with them on anyway.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Skip with Kayaks near Collie WA by SomebodyFromTheUnknown's Photography, on Flickr

Here's a photo of how I carry mine.
Old 19-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
b2428

So it can be done with 2 on top of each other think its a better idea then trailer as it's easier plus wouldnt impact economy as much as having to drag around an extra 200+ kgs of weight (trailer) Mr Grinzy do you just lash the 2 kayaks down as one? and do they move at all you know side to side?

Old 19-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
So it can be done with 2 on top of each other think its a better idea then trailer as it's easier plus wouldnt impact economy as much as having to drag around an extra 200+ kgs of weight (trailer) Mr Grinzy do you just lash the 2 kayaks down as one? and do they move at all you know side to side?
Yep that's right, tie em down as one, and I tie them tight enough that I can't move them at all myself. Even on rough roads, they can't move.