Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
hangfire

Default wife safe...

hi all

i just bought my wife a mondeo tdci zetec wagon (paid 36k with a towbar) and am now in the market for some non ford extras...

she is in need of a reverse camera and gps system

i had thought about ripping out the head unit but she doesnt want me to

so now i am considering reverse camera mirrors and portable gps systems

does anybody have any recommendations????

hangfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default Re: wife safe...

As far as portable GPS goes....my Nokia Lumia 800 smart phone does the job, and better than the iPhone4 a friend had (slow to keep track at freeway speeds and 'live' maps requiring you to always have phone reception, or you were lost).

Nokia maps are preloaded (and regular updates), with spoken instructions well before you need to turn. Paper maps are now redundant !!!
I sit the phone in the cup holder, or on the dash in front of the display, and don't bother to use the windscreen phone holder I bought for this purpose.

So Garmin Nuvi can go play with his Tom Tom elsewhere.......
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
nevetsg

Hi, I just use my phone for navigation these days as well. Search the forums for pugoo a sticky substance that I use to 'mount' it to my dash.
As for reverse camera, once I got use to just listening to the sensors I think a camera would just be distracting. If you really need one but don't want to switch the head unit. You can get ones that hide the display in the rear view mirror.

Nevetsg.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i also use my mobile sg note2(android) phone for gps, much better than my old gps, touch screen is very fluid and fast, i have 3 gps platforms, however all are free versions and don't show the speed zones which i rarely use .
have seen rear vision mirror reversing cameras on ebay, don't know how good they are though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
hangfire

hi all

my research so far:

autobarn are happy to fit a 'parkmate' rear view mirror replacement to sort the reverse camera out (my wife is terrified of crashing the car reversing it and i have promised that something like this will be fitted) $450 fitted
apparently the zetec mirror is 'powered' does anybody know what this means????
if it is important then i might not be able to replace the mirror after all.

autobarn have also said they are happy to fit a gps unit to be windscreen mounted with the cables all hidden etc so all she needs to do is put it into the mount when ready etc. $230 for a navman unit

looking for the tidiest solution for her.....

any suggestions?

using a phone isnt a viable solution for her
hangfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
hi all

my research so far:

autobarn are happy to fit a 'parkmate' rear view mirror replacement to sort the reverse camera out (my wife is terrified of crashing the car reversing it and i have promised that something like this will be fitted) $450 fitted
apparently the zetec mirror is 'powered' does anybody know what this means????
if it is important then i might not be able to replace the mirror after all.

autobarn have also said they are happy to fit a gps unit to be windscreen mounted with the cables all hidden etc so all she needs to do is put it into the mount when ready etc. $230 for a navman unit

looking for the tidiest solution for her.....

any suggestions?

using a phone isnt a viable solution for her
if the rear vision mirror is powered i think it probably has the day night operation that works like the darkening shade on a welding helmet that requires power to operate.

i have seen some reversing camera types that have a complete rear vision mirror assembly that clips over the original factory one, not uncommon i think, so there should be no reason why you can't get something.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
manamp27

I had one of these installed by the dealer when I bought my mondeo. http://www.ryda.com.au/Cellpak-4-3-R...-p/rgs433p.htm

Works extremely well and in combination with the sensors, makes reversing almost bullet proof. The installation is very discreet and it all works seamlessly.

Word of advice: steer clear of cordless versions. Apparently the hard wired versions are much better.
Old 21-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

This mob do mirror ones as well as the monitor type.

http://thecarkitcompany-px.rtrk.com....ng-camera.html

I have no affiliation with them, and they could also set up a holder, so you could use Sygic or TomTom on a phone as your GPS.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
sande94
Starter Motor

Had a ParkMate RVM-043DVR installed on a Mondeo Wagon recently. Provides reverse camera parking + dash cam recording in a replacement rear view mirror. Impressive unit.

http://www.parkmate.com.au/products/...mirror-monitor
sande94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post