Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #91
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qld Government axe Classic Cars/Formals

relax max

youre obviously missing the context

now

would you let your daughter in some random dudes of bookface car purporting to be a hire vehicle

or

would you prefer

a fully legit, licensed, accreddited owner / vehicle

kapish?
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #92
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah I didn't advertise and only did it for friends and family. Sometimes for fellow AFF members LOL. But now with all this bullshit, I doubt I'll do anymore.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #93
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Yeah I didn't advertise and only did it for friends and family. Sometimes for fellow AFF members LOL. But now with all this bullshit, I doubt I'll do anymore.
I wouldnt let it put me off, I only pulled up because I ran out of weddings to do

that wierd little time in your life where everyone around you is getting married

but yourself
Old 10-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #94
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I know it shouldn't, but it's just some of them news stories put me off. My run of weddings and formal are maybe 1 or 2 a year. Usually for people I know or for friends of friends, I don't quote a price they usually offer something. Like fuel money and a bottle of top self, but I have sometimes been paid a small amount. But it wouldn't even cover a day off work. But all of these, they have approached me. Which I don't mind doing as the car can actually sit for months, so it gives me a reason to dust it off and put some fresh fuel in it.

Don't know what's going on with the government these day. I got a parking fine the other day in the mail $86. I find out it was when I was visiting a mate and I parked on his nature strip. Because he lives in a new estate with them skinny little streets, you are flat out having two car past each other. Well it's their land I suppose, so I'm not going to mow my nature strip anymore. And when it get that long and the neighbors complain, I'll say ring the council it's their land so they can mow it. Don't worry I'm not the only one that is going to do this, so they'll be paying the money they get for fining us. To paying petrol and resources to get the tractors around to mow their land.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #95
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
would you let your daughter in some random dudes of bookface car purporting to be a hire vehicle
Picture me in my dodgy EL Falcon breathing through my mouth turning up on your door with a creepy smile.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #96
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Picture me in my dodgy EL Falcon breathing through my mouth turning up on your door with a creepy smile.
you aint coming near my sisters
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #97
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I know it shouldn't, but it's just some of them news stories put me off. My run of weddings and formal are maybe 1 or 2 a year. Usually for people I know or for friends of friends, I don't quote a price they usually offer something. Like fuel money and a bottle of top self, but I have sometimes been paid a small amount. But it wouldn't even cover a day off work. But all of these, they have approached me. Which I don't mind doing as the car can actually sit for months, so it gives me a reason to dust it off and put some fresh fuel in it.

Don't know what's going on with the government these day. I got a parking fine the other day in the mail $86. I find out it was when I was visiting a mate and I parked on his nature strip. Because he lives in a new estate with them skinny little streets, you are flat out having two car past each other. Well it's their land I suppose, so I'm not going to mow my nature strip anymore. And when it get that long and the neighbors complain, I'll say ring the council it's their land so they can mow it. Don't worry I'm not the only one that is going to do this, so they'll be paying the money they get for fining us. To paying petrol and resources to get the tractors around to mow their land.
Big difference doing the odd favour for a relo, friend, or friend of friend on the quiet side or advertising yourself on Facebook for all to see.

Common sense prevails.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #98
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yep I know trublu, but did you see the link PB put up. Even though the guy didn't get fined just receiving a letter like that, is enough for me to say it's not worth the hassle.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #99
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gents,

I've been meaning to find the relevant section that deals with this situation under Queensland law and finally got around to it just now.

It's under the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994.

This is the section that prohibits using you doing paid rides:

27 Driver must hold appropriate authorisation
A person must not operate a public passenger vehicle
providing a public passenger service for which driver
authorisation is required unless the person is an appropriately

authorised driver.

Maximum penalty—100 penalty units.

You can find more (yawn . . . ) here:

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/L...tOpPasTA94.pdf

Russ

P.S. I think the current value of one penalty unit is $110. Ouch!
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #100
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I am aware I can build my own house, but I can't charge you to build YOURS if I am NOT a registered builder.

You DO NOT get paid to be a volunteer anything.

So go ahead and drive people around all day for free and you have no trouble, but you can't charge them.

If you take money to provide transport to the public you will fall under the public transport acts in Qld, which are very specific on the licenses and registrations you must have to operate.

The ATO may very we'll be interested in the deals but that is another argument and has no relevance to the breaching of DTMR legislation and that is what the post was about.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #101
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you have the proof that they were charging money?

Why haven't you put it on here?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #102
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lols...
Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #103
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
So you have the proof that they were charging money?

Why haven't you put it on here?
"We're not doing it to make a living - we just want to cover our costs. We spend about three hours cleaning our car before each wedding."

Well noflac, I guess if one ponders the above paragraph from the news item in the link attached to the original post, one could perhaps draw the inference that the classic car owner wasn't about to do your formal for a lick of your ice cream and ride on your BMX bike . . .

Russ.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #104
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
I am aware I can build my own house, but I can't charge you to build YOURS if I am NOT a registered builder.

You DO NOT get paid to be a volunteer anything.

So go ahead and drive people around all day for free and you have no trouble, but you can't charge them.

If you take money to provide transport to the public you will fall under the public transport acts in Qld, which are very specific on the licenses and registrations you must have to operate.

The ATO may very we'll be interested in the deals but that is another argument and has no relevance to the breaching of DTMR legislation and that is what the post was about.
I don't recall mentioning anything about volunteers but in fairness I have used a cross section of volunteers and professionals in the example. There are a stack more to choose from though that demonstrate what I am saying.

By the way I am well aware what the post is about so you don't have to shout at me.

I just consider it to be a ridiculous stance by the Qld Gov to stop these blokes from helping the kids out and covering costs.

Mate you seem to be on your high horse about them being big law breakers and punishing them for their indiscretions. Its no big deal!

Have you ever broken one of the country's laws? If you answer no to this I will know you are telling a porky so what's the big thing about these blokes who supposedly took money that no one can prove.

Geez even if you go to church they send a collection plate around to cover costs.

The fun police strike again!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #105
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
"We're not doing it to make a living - we just want to cover our costs. We spend about three hours cleaning our car before each wedding."

Well noflac, I guess if one ponders the above paragraph from the news item in the link attached to the original post, one could perhaps draw the inference that the classic car owner wasn't about to do your formal for a lick of your ice cream and ride on your BMX bike . . .

Russ.
Yeah I get your point about the article but under the legislation even if it was a lick of your ice cream and a ride on your bmx its still technically getting paid.

My question is how far do we take these thing as a society before they become laughable and I think in this case it already is.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #106
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I get your point about the article but under the legislation even if it was a lick of your ice cream and a ride on your bmx its still technically getting paid.

My question is how far do we take these thing as a society before they become laughable and I think in this case it already is.
That's a fair question. I guess it's one of these situations where Qld Transport is pretty much obliged to draw a line in the sand and enforce the fact that if a person is hiring their vehicle out for even a very low amount, then they have to take action.

My thoughts on it are that the 'under the table' hire of classic cars on a wink and a nod is probably the thin edge of the wedge as far as cabbies, limo's and other hire driver type businesses operators are concerned.

If you look at it from their perspective, why should they bother jumping through all the driver accreditation, vehicle approval, insurance and other hoops if their governing body lets me take my XY out on weekends and earn cash money without having to be subject to any sort of compliance?

I can see their argument and I don't blame them for trying to rein it in.

Russ.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #107
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

You can claim to be a firefigher just by joining your local brigade. No one bats an eyelid.

You can claim to be a rescue operator just by joining your local rescue station. No one bats an eyelids.

You can claim to be a lifesaver just by joining your local surf club. No one bats an eyelid

These aren't Volunteers?????

You can disagree with the law, but you still have got to obey it.
Or get it changed if you don't like it.

I never said I was an angel but I don't operate an illegal business.

Most of these sort of cases amount to not much, the people involved are generally not aware they are breaking any specific law, a quick talking to by DTMR usually solves the issue, they either stop or get the correct licenses.
In one or two cases that I know of court action was taken, these cases were obviously abuses of the law, not accidental or one time only things, and the law was upheld. I doubt any serious fine or jail time was given in the OP case here.

The Govt makes lots of money from taxi/limo/charter licenses and wont take kindly to rogue operators bypassing the system. Neither will genuine operators.

Ozpacman, thanks for the link, I have the acts at home but have been operating from the ipad lately as I am away and couldn't be bothered searching on dodgy wifi. There are more sections than that prohibiting hiring your car without the correct licenses as well.
People should read these acts and see how regulated the public transport industry (and transport generally) is.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #108
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
You can claim to be a firefigher just by joining your local brigade. No one bats an eyelid.

You can claim to be a rescue operator just by joining your local rescue station. No one bats an eyelids.

You can claim to be a lifesaver just by joining your local surf club. No one bats an eyelid

These aren't Volunteers?????

You can disagree with the law, but you still have got to obey it.
Or get it changed if you don't like it.

I never said I was an angel but I don't operate an illegal business.

Most of these sort of cases amount to not much, the people involved are generally not aware they are breaking any specific law, a quick talking to by DTMR usually solves the issue, they either stop or get the correct licenses.
In one or two cases that I know of court action was taken, these cases were obviously abuses of the law, not accidental or one time only things, and the law was upheld. I doubt any serious fine or jail time was given in the OP case here.

The Govt makes lots of money from taxi/limo/charter licenses and wont take kindly to rogue operators bypassing the system. Neither will genuine operators.

Ozpacman, thanks for the link, I have the acts at home but have been operating from the ipad lately as I am away and couldn't be bothered searching on dodgy wifi. There are more sections than that prohibiting hiring your car without the correct licenses as well.
People should read these acts and see how regulated the public transport industry (and transport generally) is.
Firefighters; professional! You can join your local brigade as a retained firefighter and get paid from day one and call yourself a firefighter.

Life saver; professional! you can join your local surf club and call yourself a lifesaver from day one. not get paid but you may eventually reach the professional level.

Rescue; professional! Pretty much all emergency services have a rescue division of some sort with all operators getting paid. There are volunteer rescue squads where you can join and call yourself a rescue operator from day one.

This is all really unnecessary though because they didn't call themselves Limo operators. You did! Their stance is that they are providing a service to the kids that no one else does and they were covering costs for what? Maybe three weeks of the year. Big Deal!

You want people to read the act to learn the finer details of this particular section.

Why this particular one?

Why not the dog act, the littering act the public nuisance, act the noise act and a host of other acts?

It gets a bit stupid when every member of society is expected to know every act and obey every law 24/7 for 70 or more years.

There will always be exceptions and millions of them.

If LIMO and Hire car companies catered for what the market wants in this area I think things would be a little different but they don't. They would laugh if they were asked to buy a fleet of hotrods and custom cars. To use for three weeks and a few weddings throughout the year.

There are a few boutique custom car operations going in the hire car business but nowhere near enough to cater for demand during the formal season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman
That's a fair question. I guess it's one of these situations where Qld Transport is pretty much obliged to draw a line in the sand and enforce the fact that if a person is hiring their vehicle out for even a very low amount, then they have to take action.

My thoughts on it are that the 'under the table' hire of classic cars on a wink and a nod is probably the thin edge of the wedge as far as cabbies, limo's and other hire driver type businesses operators are concerned.

If you look at it from their perspective, why should they bother jumping through all the driver accreditation, vehicle approval, insurance and other hoops if their governing body lets me take my XY out on weekends and earn cash money without having to be subject to any sort of compliance?

I can see their argument and I don't blame them for trying to rein it in.

Russ.
I don't disagree in principal but how many kids would look forward to turning up to their formal in a taxi?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #109
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't disagree in principal but how many kids would look forward to turning up to their formal in a taxi?
Yeah, a cab wouldn't rate too highly on the WOW meter!

No mate I just included cabbies with limo's etc in my response as they're all hire drivers.

We could keep going around and around in circles for ages debating this one noflac, however I'm guessing neither of us probably has that much spare time and we'd probably never reach agreement on it!

I can see your point, but for mine, I've always tried to look at situations from both sides as I have with this one, so my closing address will be this:

We have a situation where on the one hand we have some classic car owners who quite rightly, like to use their cars to help out some kids and make their special night one to remember.

On the other hand we have some business operators who, again quite rightly, like to get a return on their significant business investment and earn enough to provide for their families.

Provided the former group genuinely help out as a favour and don't receive payment for the privilege, then the latter have nothing to complain about. The respective government agency, in this case Qld Transport, wouldn't need to get involved because no laws have been broken.

Cheers mate and thanks for the chat!

Russ
Old 13-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #110
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Firstly I quote you and then you criticise me on that?

I never said they were limo operators? I said DTMR will class them as such.
As they are not volunteers because they get paid, and they are operating a business because of payment and advertising, they come under the act.

Not everyone can know every law but I do in this case and am trying to enlighten you. The fact you disagree with a law does not change its meaning.

And yes I have never taken anyone to a formal in a taxi...but they don't get a fancy car back or walk home again do they.

Someone please kill this thread as it going nowhere...
Old 14-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #111
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You aren't trying to enlighten me you just want me to agree with you purely on the basis of a news article and I am not going to do that.

What you seem to be so upset about is that these blokes are getting a few bucks for the favour they are doing and it is something that is almost a way of life in OZ cashies exist in almost every profession and hobby that exists.

The restriction of our freedoms is being eroded everywhere by over zealous govt and this is one of them.

The only thing these blokes did wrong was bringing attention to themselves. It was a bit naïve on their part.

No one has proven that they received any money even the DTMR if they had they would have been fined already. In my previous experience warning letters are sent out to deter someone from doing things that are suspected not proven and that is the reason I asked if anyone can prove they committed any offence. No one has!

You seem to be taking this very seriously so I suggest, lighten up a bit and if you want the thread to end just don't reply to it. You and I are the only ones discussing it.
Old 14-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #112
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When talking to blocks of wood

Sometimes its better off heading down the woodyard
Old 14-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #113
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I seem to do that a lot on here!!!!!
Old 14-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #114
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone pass me the log splitter..
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #115
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Closed im getting dizzy