Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #151
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vic traffic police told to target low-level speeding offenders

I've got to say I support all of those points!

More of the same from ACA. Never watch it now for that reason.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #152
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
When you drive in Europe you realise cars in Australia are hardly more than idling. All the time on the motorways you're getting passed by little buzzboxes doing 160. Hell, our Octavia could do 200! I won't even mention the Audi/BMW/Merc brigade. The only scary sight I saw was a Landcruiser doing about 150!

Funnily enough no carnage and mayhem everywhere.
I don't think you are being completely honest there. Like yourself, I have spent a fair bit of time in the Czech Republic and anyone that has experienced the Friday afternoon/evening rush out of Prague, especially on the main highway to Brno, will know that you will see at least 3 to 4 prangs on the way down. Typically multiple cars involved (3 to 4).
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #153
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
I don't think you are being completely honest there. Like yourself, I have spent a fair bit of time in the Czech Republic and anyone that has experienced the Friday afternoon/evening rush out of Prague, especially on the main highway to Brno, will know that you will see at least 3 to 4 prangs on the way down. Typically multiple cars involved (3 to 4).
The D1 has a reputation, mainly because of the poor condition of the road and the sheer volume of traffic on it. It's a candidate for a lower speed limit the way it is at the moment. No Australian motorway would experience such a volume and such conditions. I was mainly going the other way, towards Germany, and the situation was good. What I described was in Germany where the speed is derestricted.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #154
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
less than 7% of deaths have speeding LISTED as the primary cause - maybe they should focus on the other 93% of causes
Fixed

I personally doubt that 7% are actually CAUSED by speeding.

There will almost always be something else, and that something else would have caused an accident.
..... even if any were ultimately caused only by speed, it would be interesting to know what the speed limit was relative to the speed of the accident - ie How many of the 7% happen at Vic's low level speeding cutoff ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #155
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
I heard that interview this morning and this part was a cracker.

They had modelled data from last years crashes and determined 24% of those deaths "involved" speeding. (No root cause just involved).

If they put half as much effort into getting people with un roadworthy **** boxes, drug driving and blatant skill deficiencies and comprehension such as keep left, indicate, and don't tailgate we probably wouldn't have a road toll to talk about. Don't even worry about the 30+ drunk pedestrians who were counted in the road toll.

However automated revenue technology only really works for speed at the moment...so I guess that explains it. Too hard to target anything else meaningful as that would take man power and cost money.
This is what fires me up.....total incompetent fools running this place. Targeting lack of skill and respect for cars on the road is the only thing they should be increasing their efforts on.
When was the last time anyone saw police patrolling a roundabout......probably the highest area of incorrect and dangerous driving by miles over any other road feature.EVERY single time you drive on one someone mis indicates or falsely indicates. What a joke
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #156
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car ownership is the single biggest contributor to road deaths. Surely its time we considered a ban on ownership? Renting will save countless lives.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #157
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Car ownership is the single biggest contributor to road deaths. Surely its time we considered a ban on ownership? Renting will save countless lives.
Yeah its getting that stupid now lol!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #158
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
When was the last time anyone saw police patrolling a roundabout......probably the highest area of incorrect and dangerous driving by miles over any other road feature.EVERY single time you drive on one someone mis indicates or falsely indicates. What a joke
Cars are considered going too slow at roundabouts to have fatalities. Which is why they don't monitor roundabouts.

And the first thing about defensive driving at roundabouts, is not to look at indicators. Best to look at which way the cars are heading, by looking at where the front wheels are pointing.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #159
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Cars are considered going too slow at roundabouts to have fatalities.
And therein is the problem. Safety initiatives targeted solely at fatalities do nothing to address general poor driving standards which eventually can turn into fatalities.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: