Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default au i6 a bit sluggish after long drive??

Took my au to ulludulla and back from western sydney.. about 270km and 3 hours trip each way.

car was fine on the trip, smooth etc.. but towards the end of the trip I started giving her some hard acceleration.. it just seemed sluggish.. bear in mind it had just been on freeway doing 110km/h most of the time for 3 hours.. it was uphill a fair amount of the way under load. Car had between 3 quarters petrol to full most of the way.

any reasons why car would feel pretty sluggish?? Even seemed to change up earlier than usual. Seemed to want to hold onto higher gears??

No odd symtoms like missing or surging or anything. just felt like its lacking power like it was a boiling hot day or like im driving uphill all the time.

Could it just be a bad case of heatsoak? Car didnt show it was hot or anything?

Im thinking just heatsoak and nothing can do to fix. Ill see how she goes after cooled down.

any theories?

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: au i6 a bit sluggish after long drive??

Sluggish like that sounds like a flow problem to me. Have a check of your cat and exhaust to make sure it's not collapsing or blocking up. I had a centre muffler broke up inside and caused symptoms like you described, also have had a collapsed cat that caused the same symptoms too. Either that or your air filter is blocking up. Did you drive through a dust cloud or bug swarm by any chance?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
HULK_I6T
Banned

Ill try her around the block with no air filter see it it makes a difference

both cat and exhaust are almost new under 5000km for both
Old 26-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Is that jumping on it when cruising at 80 or 90 or jumping on it at low speed, mine seems to take off in second from a stop/ low speed a lot when driving sanely. Old coolant in it at the moment?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Is that jumping on it when cruising at 80 or 90 or jumping on it at low speed, mine seems to take off in second from a stop/ low speed a lot when driving sanely. Old coolant in it at the moment?

cheers, Maka
No moreso off the line and heavy throttle.. Just felt like it was going uphill.. Slower than usual to rev out etc. like I was towing something or air cons on etc.

Coolant temp showed it was cool, no miss or surge.. Just felt like a really hot day when hot air is on intake and they get sluggish.

I'm about to take her out now for a spin. Been cooling down after the drive all afternoon.

Just feels a bit off the pace.. Not that it's not going but a good 10-20% Down on grunt over the way it usually goes..

Like it was towing something.

I recently put a thicker oil in the diff.. Could it get real thick when hot making it drag more?
Old 27-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

No, the thick oil in the diff wont affect power delivery. What brand coilpack? Some of the cheaper brands are known to crap out soon after installation.

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 27-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
No, the thick oil in the diff wont affect power delivery. What brand coilpack? Some of the cheaper brands are known to crap out soon after installation.
I drove it last night.. Seemed fine to me after all afternoon to cool down?????

0-100 in 8.1 secs according to my video timed runs. I took same video 3000km ago and it seems pretty much same..

But after my long drive yesterday, it was definitely lethargic feeling

Maybe intake manifold heat soaked? Or fuel heated up? Exhaust and cat really hot? Gearbox oil hot?

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 27-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
HULK_I6T
Banned

I took air intake off today and noticed the bracket holding the throttle cable and other cable lose..

I tightened up.. Car feels more responsive now?? Maybe throttle wasn't fully opening up?

Is the other cable a kick down cable for transmission or is it cruise control?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

cruise

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Adjusting it (throttle cable) will help if the cable is stretched may feel a little harder to push down though losing a bit of sensitivity / feel.

cheers, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 04-05-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
HULK_I6T
Banned

did some 0-100km/.h sprints.. car looks to be going 7.8 secs with a quarter fuel

only mods cat back 2.5 inch and air filter + tickford snorkel.