Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default AU problem after running out of fuel

Wifey ran the AU2 wagon (petrol only) out of fuel yesterday.
Upon filling with 20L of 95 petrol from drum, the poor wagon wasn't happy.

It's missing and spluttering badly, barely taking throttle from much above idle.

During the ~50k drive to from where it ran out to home, it was a bit intermittent, sometimes accelerating ok-ish, and other times barely able to cross an intersection.

It idles fine, and slightly clears as revs increase, but at any point above idle it isn't right.

Obviously I looked towards fuel issues first, thinking sludge has clogged up the works.
I fitted a new fuel filter this morning, with absolutely no change.

Forscan showed a coil problem, which has shown before, though I swapped it over anyhow (just in case), but no change.

My next step is to swap injectors and FPR. I may also have to drain the tank.

My questions are, who here has had this happen and what was the fault?

I have a strange feeling that this may be something else entirely as it did have a bit of a miss about a week ago for a short distance.
I say this mainly because the DTE had only just hit zero, and the car had only gone another 2k or so. My other AU's can typically go a further 40k or so.

I also ran out in my P250 only 2 months ago on the highway, filled it also from a drum and away it went as if nothing had happened.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: AU problem after running out of fuel

Have you considered that the fuel pump may be dying due to being run dry. And what a fun job it is to change in a wagon too. You have to drop the tank to get at the pump.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Have you considered that the fuel pump may be dying due to being run dry. And what a fun job it is to change in a wagon too. You have to drop the tank to get at the pump.
I sure have considered it, but waiting to hear more opinions as I'd rather drop the tank as a last resort for the reasons you've just mentioned...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

The symptoms sound fuel pump to me, ive had similar symptoms from a dying coilpack also... but you threw another coilpack in, so... If you can Sox, maybe do a fuel pressure test to confirm the fuel pump is gone (if youve got the tools?) - how many kays on this fuel pump? I would do this test before touching anything else imo. Good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

how was the fuel in the old filter?
any trace of water, was the element damaged/holed?

does the AU use a return line of bleeder valve, is a fuel sample possible?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
speedzter

If the fuel pump has a few years on it, that's my bet .
Similar thing happened to my XR8 ute, that tank was very low, but not empty.
Limped to a servo, but didn't make it very far after that.
Pump was stuffed.
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

I have done a couple of very crude tests, I know this isn't the correct procedure, but maybe one of you blokes know whether this is within normal guesstimate parameters.

The pump delivered over 400ml in 10s.
I'm not able to measure pressure, however it appears to be quite high, at least 30-40psi (this is based on nothing more than placing my thumb over the end of the fuel line).
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

In my ellery's manual it says 240cc / ml in 10sec is spec, so its overfuelling unfortunately. Fuel reg, temp sensor, iat sensor, 02 sensor or a fuel line (that may be kinked) probably need checking now just in case you throw another pump in & its still doing it.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
In my ellery's manual it says 240cc / ml in 10sec is spec, so its overfuelling unfortunately. Fuel reg, temp sensor, iat sensor, 02 sensor or a fuel line (that may be kinked) probably need checking now just in case you throw another pump in & its still doing it.

cheers, Maka
Yeh I read 240cc to, however that's at a measured 275kpa.

I measured +400cc with an unrestricted open end, which is why it's substantially higher.

I'll try and test it again via the return so it's regulated.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ran my mums EL wagon out of fuel once (faulty gauge). Destroyed the spark plugs- hesitated, misfired etc. New plugs and it was all good!
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Sox
RIP...

There's no fuel coming from the return line under any condition.
I swapped the FPR, no change.
I removed the FPR completely, and the lines are clear.

This points to not enough fuel pressure.

Need to get myself a fuel pressure tester.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

A fpt will make things alot easier, but you done well without one too!

Ive got to replace my fpr, i think i stuffed it (slightly squashed top half, damaged diapragm?) removing it to clean the guaze. The symptom i'm getting is if it sits for 1/2 hour or so after fully warmed up, it takes a second crank to fire up sometimes. Pretty sure it wasnt doing it before i removed it. Oh well, the joys of diy!

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Thanks for the help here guys, I managed to methodically work it out today.

Yesterday wifey grabbed a fuel pressure tester on her way home.

First thing this morning I plumbed it up, made fuel pump work, and maximum pressure was 15psi.
Bingo!!
Pressure should be approx 40psi.

Grabbed a new pump from the local spare parts joint, banged it in, tested pressure before completely fitting tank.
Pressure was right on 40psi, and fuel also came out of the return line as it should.

I'm guessing the pump was close to death for a while and running it dry put the final nail in the coffin.

Thanks again gents.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Glad you got it sorted
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
fordfalconed

Talking Re: AU problem after running out of fuel

Well done Sox for DIY and getting a fix plus will help me in future as a refence point.
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post