Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default storing a car long term..... maintenance question

I have 4 cars and dont really need them all. But it dont really pay to sell them due to a hard market out there. There is little point in paying four regos when you just dont use the cars.

so the plan is to take one, maybe two off the road. But with no rego and maybe no insurance, what maintenance would be required to keep them in tip top order?

do I need to start the cars often or can they sit for months on end without being started?

If they are parked in a locked garage and not driven on the road, any point in paying insurance?

will engine oil still be changed every 6 months? Will spark plugs and fuel pumps go bad? Seals leak? Fuel go bad? Hoses and even tyres.

Anyone who has a car off the road long term or stores a car, im interested with some tips n tricks, maintenance schedules etc?

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
AAXR8

Default Re: storing a car long term..... maintenance question

Hi mate,i had the same problem a couple of years ago but I choose to sell & lost out a couple thou in the end & regret one really bad! But a little good came out of it!! My Grandads a old mechanic & grandad told me to always drive the car once a week & start twice a week minimum for 5 mins & you should be right engine wise! Keeps everything lubricated! Then your seals oil stay good, Coolant I think is every 3 years so your good there, Battery has to be charged every 2 months minimum or that turns in to a big Paper weight & I was told oil even oil like edge only last 6 months so I would change if the stored cars oil turns black like tar!! But I had a car and didn't listen & payed the price!!It wasn't a performance car or anything like that but Fuel is another main problem!!! Apparently it only lasts 3 months?? And it does turn to water pretty much that you CAN'T DRINK!!! But I then was told AFTER There is an additive you can add to it! but I don't know if that can go in your car so you would have to find out from store or company who makes it!! & it makes your fuel last alot longer!! & you don't want to leave it near empty because it is dirty & I left it & it turned to **** & tryed starting the car & got it going with clean fuel but the car was never the same & wouldn't idle or anything unless you had your foot on accelerator & it had to go to mechanic to have the fuel filters etc & ended up costing a little to bit! And then there's the RWC & Reg when you want to get them back on the road!! So thats why I sold my other two and I ended up selling the other one I was going to keep as well & bought the car I had been eyeing off for a long time! So there's alot to think of!! Hope all that info helps!! If there your Pride & joys for sure keep!! but if they are only a car you could replace then??
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
AAXR8

Also Insurance! Alot of companys now go by how many Kms a year you drive but I was told that still had to be Road Worthy I THINK? But you might be able to work out with some company a 4 car policy that suits you! So ring around! See if its worth it!!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 25-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
XB74GS

What sort of cars are you talking about?
Carby & points, or fuel injection?

Either way all I've ever done is make sure they are out of the weather & the shed/garage is not a damp mouldy one.
As for starting or driving them at least every couple of months.
My last XA sat for two years without a thing done to it & fire up with a bit petrol down the carby, drove it out, put some air in the tyres & all good.

I guess the point I'm making is you don't have to get carried away with maintenance.
That novelty will wear off soon enough anyway!

Cheers
Todd
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did have a case where a car I had sitting for six months or so had a problem on start up. One of the exhaust valves, and probably the one which had sat fully open, i.e. spring fully compressed, stuck and stayed open.
A bit of CRC on the valve stem and fiddling got it back, without removing the head.
So, I recommend, even if you don't bother starting the engine, manually turning it 180 degrees at least once every month or so will be fine.

p.s. About 25 years ago, I lived next door to an old lady, a widow who lost her hubby to soon. In her garage was one of the earliest Holden Utes, and religiously, she would start it up, and idle for 5 minutes. It had less than 7000 miles on the clock - original tyres. No way was she going to sell. Another oldie neighbour friend of hers, would take her to the shops in it every three months or so - the car was about 30 years old then, and still smelt like new.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI

Last edited by Madaya; 25-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Just pulled the coupe out of the shed yesterday, after 6 months of sitting. Battery was flat so had to jump start her. Gave her a quick tub to get all the dust off, went and put some fresh fuel in her and took her for a run. Drove the same as last time didn't even need air in the tires.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What cars are we talking about?
My advice is to sell them unless they are somehow going to magically go up in value in the next year or two.
Car values have dropped dramatically in the last 5 or so years and that's not going to change so imho you're wasting your time hanging onto them.
Cash in the bank is better than cars pointlessly taking up space in the garage.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

the xb i bought had sat for 18 months with out even being started
whacked a battery in it checked the oil level and fired her up with plenty of choke
and then drove 2 hrs home with out a prob

id start it a couple times a week maybe even get a permit for 30 odd bucks a day and take it for a spin
drain the oil when it looks black and keep fresh fuel in it
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
What cars are we talking about?.
Some mint condition low km aussie performance cars. Not daily drivers, paying rego and insurance for nothing.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Start my xb once a week. When I had surgery I couldn't get to it for 4 months but then started up no worries lol.

Gotta love the old cars
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyres off the ground, fuel stabiliser, fresh oil and fluids, remove battery if not starting, moth balls in car to prevent rodents, plug exhaust to prevent moisture getting to open exhaust valves. Some people back the rockers off so that all valves are shut.
Exhaust valves open can cause rust in bore and on seats so chance of burning valves.

Lots of info on the net.

Can get laid up insurance to cover fire and theft. People use this during restos as well.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
AAXR8

Question Re: storing a car long term..... maintenance question

There was an answer about the price of cars dropping in price, I don't mean to get off the topic but will the 260 Boss's & 290's In The B series still hold there value because they are stopping making V8's aren't they?? Just 6's, And American Ford Cars are they going to still make V8 motor's in there Cars?
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Some mint condition low km aussie performance cars. Not daily drivers, paying rego and insurance for nothing.

So what cars mate are the 4?

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They aren't holding their value now. Prob go the way of dinosaurs.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
AAXR8

I know the XR6's are definitely are not holding but I bought an XR8 months ago and they seem to be holding! I think 2003 are still around $13,000-14,000 and each year seems a grand dearer, I was told to hold on to them for that V8 reason, Its like any Car really got to hope for the best & prey they do when you buy for a little investment! And the GT's properly the safest bet!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 27-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
How's that mint AU looking hulk?

Daily drives
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #17
zilo
BANNED

I jack mine up on stands, just enough to take the weight off the suspension a bit.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Stored my old 351 XD years ago.. changed the oil. Run two stroke through it for a few minutes before turning off.. Took rocker covers off and unscrewed all the rockers so all the valves where shut. Sprayed engine with WD40, replaced air cleaner and stuffed rags on intake.. Some 2 stoke in tank, removed battery, topped up with coolant..
Sprayed all known rust areas with fish oil..
Stored for over 4 years.. After tightening / setting rockers it started on about second rotation..Good ole Clevo !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Hulk dood be good to no what sorta cars you are talking about mate?

What a few FPVs and that?

Ps what's ya daily driver mate?

Daily drives
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Hulk you have been caught out..

Keep dreaming mate..

You can change ya name dood to "dribble"

Daily drives
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #21
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

My car is being stored at the moment. But I decided to give my keys to my father and he drives it for a few kms every few weeks and a longer one each month.

I have kept the rego, CTP, and comprehensive Insurance up to it. I found that far cheaper than mothballing it! Comprehensive alone was half the price if I continued to pay as if it was my daily. ALL the other insurance agencies were over double what my yearly premium is to store the car. Freaking rip offs!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post