Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #91
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Feb Car Sales. Ford Down 20.1% !!!! Holden Down 10.2%.

Why are companies persisting with the DCT box??? Surely in prototype testing all the faults would be known and if so why not fixed???? Focus diesel DCT is wet type, apprently,no problems, why not just fit it across the range????
How to drive a Focus Trend correctly...http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2184242
Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #92
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

half the problem i think is the labor and cost to repair them when they go pear shaped,
my thinking is people see these like a normal slush box that may go the life of the car without anything but a quick cheap service now and again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #93
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Go Girls.............
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...-1227253635133
Must of done a good job re Ranger sales.........
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #94
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

His something Ford really need to think about.. Australian build cars still account for 30% of total sales. And the Falcon (to which the is no replacement) still accounts for 15%. The Falcon name plate (501+ 227) still outsold every overseas model bar one (Range). For a model & segment that no-one wants, it isn't looking to bad in the Ford range!!! WTF are they going to do when these cars are gone?? They'll be down around the 3500-4000 in cars sold ea month. The only extra models to be added is the Mustang & Everest, & both will be will be lucky to sell around 500 vehicles combined (long term).

I feel sorry for the dealers.. Hopefully the remaining Ford only dealers are looking to add another make to they dealership otherwise tuff times are ahead.

Last edited by Joe5619; 08-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #95
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Ford burnt so many people with Falcon's and Territory's over the last 10 years that they have lost them for good. You have to give your customers the support they want otherwise they will just throw you to the wall. Its all about building relationships, and its not just Ford to blame, but the dealers have done nothing to help the cause.
I've just purchased a new SZII Territory Titanium diesel rwd for the missus. To be honest, I didn't look at another brand with any seriousness.

I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe but the 2.2l diesel engine is noisy and the cargo capacity is poor. I took a look at a Toyota Kluger Granda - no diesel option, 10k servicing internals, drinks like an alcoholic and a $70k price tag....

I shopped around and got the Territory for $50k driveaway, but the real clincher was the trade-in values of my GT and XLT Ranger, some $11,000 difference in trade-in allowance between Ford dealers. Yup you guessed it, I went with the dealer that offered me top dollar for my trade-ins.

I know the Territory is on borrowed time, it will be axed when Everest arrives later this year. But, I'm glad to be able to buy something that is suits our needs at a reasonable price. It gets built next month and delivered the following month.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #96
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
I've just purchased a new SZII Territory Titanium diesel rwd for the missus. To be honest, I didn't look at another brand with any seriousness.

I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe but the 2.2l diesel engine is noisy and the cargo capacity is poor. I took a look at a Toyota Kluger Granda - no diesel option, 10k servicing internals, drinks like an alcoholic and a $70k price tag....

I shopped around and got the Territory for $50k driveaway, but the real clincher was the trade-in values of my GT and XLT Ranger, some $11,000 difference in trade-in allowance between Ford dealers. Yup you guessed it, I went with the dealer that offered me top dollar for my trade-ins.

I know the Territory is on borrowed time, it will be axed when Everest arrives later this year. But, I'm glad to be able to buy something that is suits our needs at a reasonable price. It gets built next month and delivered the following month.
Territory won't be axed when Everest arrives later this year - that's dribble !!

Territory's will still be made in October 2016.

Everest is NOT a replacement for Territory regardless.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #97
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the EDGE replacing Territory??????
Old 10-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #98
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-31810731
Quote:
The Australian government is to restore hundreds of millions of dollars of funding to the ailing autos sector.

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane said that A$500m ($384m; £254m) of the taxpayer assistance which was cut in last year's budget would be renewed.

Mr Macfarlane said the move would ensure the car manufacturing sector would survive until at least 2017.

Australia's car industry has been in decline for decades, with only three manufacturers left in the country.

In recent years, Ford, General Motors' Holden unit and Toyota all said they would stop manufacturing cars in Australia by 2017, effectively marking the end of the country's car production industry.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #99
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...10-13zto3.html
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #100
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe we should all find out what the build rate was in Feb 2014 and then see if a drop in sales numbers was unexpected. Ford has openly stated they are not chasing fleets sales like hire cars etc...so they know they will never sell more cars per month then previous times, maybe we should build a massive bridge and get over it. These monthly figures mean nothing now so long as the plant sells most of what it pus out.
The build rate was fine. The sales could have been better if there were more cars built. They seem to be selling more then what their building (I assume getting rid of old FG2). If these sales hold were they are then the year will be good for the workers.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #101
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe but the 2.2l diesel engine is noisy and the cargo capacity is poor.
That was one of the reasons we declined the Santa Fe (cargo capacity), amongst others. It is about 30cm shallower in the cargo space.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #102
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://goautomedia.cdn.on.net/goauto...toNews_767.pdf

Quote:
One-time top-selling cars slides into sales obscurity despite latest FG X series
By RON HAMMERTON
THE Australian-made car that 20 years ago stood atop the sales podium as the number-one motor vehicle in Australia managed just 53rd place in the February new-car sales rankings, according to official VFACTS sales data.
The Ford Falcon sedan had 501 sales for the month, down 8.7 per cent on the same month last year and placing it behind imported niche vehicles such as BMW’s luxury X5 SUV (523 units), the Mercedes-Benz C-Class (842) and Honda HR-V (825). While Falcon’s traditional rival, the Holden Commodore, scored fourth place in the February nameplate rankings with 2517 sales and a 75 per cent share of the large-car segment, Ford’s local hero garnered 15 per cent, despite a recent major facelift.

Even when Falcon sedan sales are combined with those of the related Territory SUV that serves as a wagon on the Blue Oval Aussie range, the total of 1284 is about half that of the
Commodore and still falls outside the top 10, behind cars such as the Volkswagen Golf (1735).

To add insult to injury, the Commodore Ute also outsold the Falcon workhorse by a similar margin, 455 to 227. And to compound the Falcon situation, Ford Australia has just raised
the list price of its sporty Falcon XR6 Turbo by $500, to $43,490 plus on road costs, and the XR8 by $1000, to $53,490, according to the latest RJ Pound price guide.

In 1995, the EF Falcon sedan and wagon range sold at the rate of more than 6000 a month, accumulating 81,366 sales for the year against the Commodore’s 80,452.
And while it has been mostly downhill for both of these vehicles since then, it has been the Falcon that has taken the biggest hit in the showroom, declining 92 per cent compared with the big Holden’s 62 per cent slide. Both models are set to bite the dust when Australian manufacturing ends by the end of 2017, with the Falcon scheduled to go in October 2016 and the Commodore a year later.
FULL STORY: CLICK HERE
Market on record pace – page 19
XR8
Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #103
Havoc
Banned

Holden has 75% market share of large cars excellent news so when do they announce the reopening of the factory and the next 2 Australian made models.
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #104
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Thats because Ford dont know how to market it or build a brand.

Mazda were in the same position 10 years ago (just when the mazda 3 came out).

Now look at them flourish. It all comes down to marketing and building a customer base that comes back.

Ford burnt so many people with Falcon's and Territory's over the last 10 years that they have lost them for good. You have to give your customers the support they want otherwise they will just throw you to the wall. Its all about building relationships, and its not just Ford to blame, but the dealers have done nothing to help the cause.
I think this line of thought is seriously flawed. Every car brand has their problems......not just the ford territory. Look at the Holden rodeo. Serious front ball joint problems as they don't use seals. Don't see people dumping on Holden for it.
This is a ford forum hence you will always find the problems mentioned HERE. That magnifies the issue to frequent readers but does not leave it in its correct perspective.

And dealers are randomly BAD. It's not FORD dealers alone....

I firmly believe fords biggest problem in aus is that they are selling basically the best car in every segment, and are therefore not prepared to offer their cars as cheap as the competitions cheaper cars.

All the other issues people harp on effect ALL brands.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 AM   #105
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And you've got ones like the rubber pressurised VVTi oil hose on the Toyota 3.5 V6s that perish, split open and subsequently dump all the oil in about 10 seconds.
This is not a one-off occurance, there is a 100% chance that this hose will fail eventually, unless you replace it with the updated steel one.
Was it recalled? No
Does Toyota cover damage to an engine that loses all its oil due to this fault? No
Approx replacement cost of an engine? $7500
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #106
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I think this line of thought is seriously flawed. Every car brand has their problems......not just the ford territory. Look at the Holden rodeo. Serious front ball joint problems as they don't use seals. Don't see people dumping on Holden for it.
This is a ford forum hence you will always find the problems mentioned HERE. That magnifies the issue to frequent readers but does not leave it in its correct perspective.

And dealers are randomly BAD. It's not FORD dealers alone....

I firmly believe fords biggest problem in aus is that they are selling basically the best car in every segment, and are therefore not prepared to offer their cars as cheap as the competitions cheaper cars.

All the other issues people harp on effect ALL brands.
The issues that other brands do or don't have in no way fixes the issues Ford do have. Your argument is skirting around the reality. If someone buys a Ford and has a bad experience, what is happening down at the Toyota dealer at the time is completely irrelevant. Besides you argument doesn't hold water when we look at the monthly sales as clearly people are preferring other brands over Ford, so something is up and it can't all be marketing.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #107
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there a breakdown of the what models of Falcon sold in Feb? I would think XR6 and XR8 would make up the majority of sales.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #108
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
The issues that other brands do or don't have in no way fixes the issues Ford do have. Your argument is skirting around the reality. If someone buys a Ford and has a bad experience, what is happening down at the Toyota dealer at the time is completely irrelevant. Besides you argument doesn't hold water when we look at the monthly sales as clearly people are preferring other brands over Ford, so something is up and it can't all be marketing.
Really? Lol. Did you miss the point where I said ALL brands have the same problem. Quality, faults and dealer problems for eg.

Some here were naively suggesting fords sales are low due to these reasons. How is that possible if everyone has the same issues?

Or maybe it's the FACT that Holden drivers are the most complained about drivers in Australia by far. Even Toyota drivers are worse then fords. So by that logic the Ford brand should be held in high esteem among the public.
Explain that one.
Old 15-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #109
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? Lol. Did you miss the point where I said ALL brands have the same problem. Quality, faults and dealer problems for eg.

Some here were naively suggesting fords sales are low due to these reasons. How is that possible if everyone has the same issues?

Or maybe it's the FACT that Holden drivers are the most complained about drivers in Australia by far. Even Toyota drivers are worse then fords. So by that logic the Ford brand should be held in high esteem among the public.
Explain that one.
I'll explain it simply. Ford have burnt through more customers, over a given time frame then their competitors. Thats it. Twist it, divert from it, do what you like. Its the way it is.

Treat the sales figures and Fords market position as an inconvenient truth if you wish.

I accept however, that you will never ever believe Ford has a problem to fix.
Given the push to improve the customer experience at dealers, I'd say some at Ford see the problem not that differently to how I describe it. Perhaps you need to go and lol them.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 15-03-2015 at 10:33 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #110
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Ford have burnt through more customers, over a given time frame then their competitors.

I accept however, that you will never ever believe Ford has a problem to fix.
Given the push to improve the customer experience at dealers, I'd say some at Ford see the problem not that differently to how I describe it. Perhaps you need to go and lol them.
Prove it.
(I actually remember reading some research awhile ago saying ford was NOT the worst in regards to dealer issues/recalls and complaints. But I'll wait for your proof!)

And once again, stop being BLIND I clearly said ALL brands have the same issues. I've never ever tried claiming ford have no problem.
Old 15-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #111
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1TUFFUTE Jeep has a lot of recalls and quality issues, but people buy them!!!

Chrysler

Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd trading as Fiat Chrysler Group—2014 Jeep Cherokee27th February 2015
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—2002-2003 Jeep Cherokee & 2002-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee10th February 2015
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd trading as Fiat Chrysler Group—Chrysler LE 300 MY2005-20076th February 2015

Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—2010 Dodge Ram12th December 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee12th December 2014
Chrysler Australia Ltd Pty—2011-2013 Jeep Wrangler3rd December 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd —2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee18th November 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—2008 Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 30018th November 2014
Chrysler Australia Ltd—2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee14th November 2014
Chrysler Australia Ltd—2014 Chrysler Grand Voyager Vehicles23rd October 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—2005-2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee7th October 2014
Fiat Chrysler Group—2014 Jeep Cherokee9th September 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd trading as Fiat Chrysler Group—2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee26th August 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—Jeep Liberty 2002 - 2007 Vehicles1st August 2014
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd—Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993-1998 Vehicles1st August 2014
Fiat Chrysler Group—Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango MY 2011- 201414th July 2014
Fiat Chrysler Group—Jeep Grand Cherokee MY 20145th June 2014
Fiat Chrysler Group—Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011-201414th April 2014
Fiat Chrysler Group—2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee28th March 2014
Old 15-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #112
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Prove it.
(I actually remember reading some research awhile ago saying ford was NOT the worst in regards to dealer issues/recalls and complaints. But I'll wait for your proof!)

And once again, stop being BLIND I clearly said ALL brands have the same issues. I've never ever tried claiming ford have no problem.
As someone who bought two new Ford cars, I doubt I would buy another new one due to poor treatment on a warranty issue by a particular dealership.

There you go is that proof enough?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #113
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Comon guys...I'm talking proof....as in stats and results.
Where's the STATS or RESEArCH that prove ford has more recalls/bad warranty claim issues and dealer problems then everyone else?
Not this he said she said stuff..... Seriously. Just because one person has a lemon car....that doesn't brand a whole car brands image

I've got a friend with a new Hyundai i30 that's falling apart.......hmmmm.....I predict massive sales dramas.......

Also, my brother showed me the Ls1 forum the other day......it's gotta be literally 80% dedicated to guys with their commodores breaking and falling apart. Go have a look . It's a laugh
Old 15-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #114
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all got to do with image, people dont care about unreliable cars if it has a good image (think most Euro cars and Jeeps)
It was only probably 20 years ago where no one in Australia really cared too much about it, but nowadays its everything.
Ford's image is about as bad as you can get at the moment, doesnt matter how good the cars are. Mustang should change that, however it doesnt even have a Ford badge...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #115
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Its all got to do with image, people dont care about unreliable cars if it has a good image (think most Euro cars and Jeeps)
It was only probably 20 years ago where no one in Australia really cared too much about it, but nowadays its everything.
Ford's image is about as bad as you can get at the moment, doesnt matter how good the cars are. Mustang should change that, however it doesnt even have a Ford badge...
See I agree that makes the most sense Martin......but then how do you explain that Holden is seen as the biggest bogan make in Australia......or that not even ten years ago Kia and Hyundai were absolute cheap n nasty bombshells. Or there's Toyota. On one side they have the image of built proof tradie vehicles, but booooring passenger vehicles.

At least everyone on the planet knows a mustang is a ford. That's a plus I suppose.
How do you loose out with worlds best 4wd, the Ranger. Worlds best selling Focus along with it's acclaimed dynamics(same as the fiesta too)
You mentioned jeeps....the best offroad factory capable 4wds ever. But that's all they have going for them as they're still quite archaic.
I find it all unexplainable to be honest.
Old 16-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #116
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
See I agree that makes the most sense Martin......but then how do you explain that Holden is seen as the biggest bogan make in Australia......or that not even ten years ago Kia and Hyundai were absolute cheap n nasty bombshells. Or there's Toyota. On one side they have the image of built proof tradie vehicles, but booooring passenger vehicles.

At least everyone on the planet knows a mustang is a ford. That's a plus I suppose.
How do you loose out with worlds best 4wd, the Ranger. Worlds best selling Focus along with it's acclaimed dynamics(same as the fiesta too)
You mentioned jeeps....the best offroad factory capable 4wds ever. But that's all they have going for them as they're still quite archaic.
I find it all unexplainable to be honest.
This argument about the "best" this or that is so subjective, ask 100 consumers and you'll get 100 different answers.

A car buyers relationship with a car brand is a lot like our human relationships, as in no one is perfect, but when the you know what hits the fan its how both partners handle themselves to seek a positive outcome.
Some you'll be happy to hit and quit, others, deserve your long term attention and commitment.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz