Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
perox

Default Club Rego - Looking for a club

Well, the time has come to let my XC stop doing the daily driving and semi retire for the weekends, So I want to get it on Club rego with Vicroads. I've had a look at the process of how to do it but I'm wondering how do I go about joining a club? I'm sure there would be a few members on this forum who have done the same, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
perox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Club Rego - Looking for a club

some clubs require you to be a financial member for 12 month before they will accept you as a club rego, some don't care.
also you really need to find a club you 'click' with so best ask around and try and join with another person you know
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by perox View Post
Well, the time has come to let my XC stop doing the daily driving and semi retire for the weekends, So I want to get it on Club rego with Vicroads. I've had a look at the process of how to do it but I'm wondering how do I go about joining a club? I'm sure there would be a few members on this forum who have done the same, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
One of my workmate is with one particular club which just exists to get the club rego scheme.

I'll find out which one it is.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

PM sent
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
One of my workmate is with one particular club which just exists to get the club rego scheme.

I'll find out which one it is.
Vicroads are starting to crack down on club rego. Be careful which club you choose that they are in it for enthusiasts and for the long run ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure why historic rego needs to be linked to a club, it just seems to over complicate the whole thing. Why not just have some guidelines and have RMS (or equivalent) administer it.

Clubs I know end up using this as leverage over members.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

The Kinglake based club ? Hmmm avoid I'd say. You'll need a current RWC to get through a proper clubs scrutineers these days.
Old 17-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
perox

Do you only get to join one? If I joined one and it "shut down" could I then join another?
perox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Suvo
BA Fairmont Ghia X

You can join a club and if it closes or you feel it is not for you you can transfer over to another club. I am apart of a good club we just had a meet last weekend. I can pm you details if you like (no it isnt the kinglake one..)
2002 BA Fairmont GHIA X, Now 230kw 3V V8 + ZF 6sp (Semi retired)
1994 Land Rover Discovery 1 3.9 Manual (Bush hack)
1992 DC LTD, 5L (Daily)
1979 ZJ Fairlane, Sno White (Gone but not forgotten)
1979 P6 LTD Town Car, Clevo goodness
Suvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Not sure why historic rego needs to be linked to a club, it just seems to over complicate the whole thing. Why not just have some guidelines and have RMS (or equivalent) administer it.

Clubs I know end up using this as leverage over members.
Exactly how they do it in the states the DMV gives out historic plates no clubs no politics no problems.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

The 'Club rego' sceme is a farce.
I see so many cars that shouldn't be on the road, let alone with club rego.

I assume it's an avenue to get cheaper rego on older cars.

I'm building an XB at the moment from the ground up. Unsure if I will go club rego or full. The car will only go to shows, etc.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
The 'Club rego' sceme is a farce.
I see so many cars that shouldn't be on the road, let alone with club rego.

I assume it's an avenue to get cheaper rego on older cars.

I'm building an XB at the moment from the ground up. Unsure if I will go club rego or full. The car will only go to shows, etc.
Mate I have seen so many s/boxes on club plates rusted out hiluxe's, old fourby's that blow smoke and look like they should be driven straight to the tip
and i've seen a lot of cars that are not even worthy of club status like old camry's and the like on club plates I know for a fact these cars are only on club rego for a cheap daily runabout
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Yep - seen a club rego box shape '91 Camry the other day..
Old 19-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Mate I have seen so many s/boxes on club plates rusted out hiluxe's, old fourby's that blow smoke and look like they should be driven straight to the tip
and i've seen a lot of cars that are not even worthy of club status like old camry's and the like on club plates I know for a fact these cars are only on club rego for a cheap daily runabout
..and so have VicPolice and VicRoads .. hence the changes to Club permits.

The story which has been circulating the clubs regarded an old Econovan (I think) in Club permit which police pulled over. It was obviously being used as a work vehicle. When asked for his log book the driver provided it with the details filled in, but the police wanted an explanation for the missing log entries for all the other days they had seen and recorded this vehicle driving around. It was a fail for not being RWC, no log entry (i.e. "unregistered") and used for commercial purposes.

Theoretically it was technically eligible for Club permit. If people are interested in early eighties Econovans and want to club permit them, then theoretically they can. We shouldn't cast judgement on what people have interests in ..

One of the big crackdowns is on vehicles being RWC; i.e. can't be club inspected anymore. Theoretically if it's (heavily) modified it will need VASS report as theoretically you wouldn't be able to get RWC .. but I'm sure that's rubbery for a lot of people too.

Vicroads have placed a lot of effort/responsibility on clubs for club rego and to do it properly isn't an insignificant effort for volunteers. People who complain about clubs "controlling" the permit scheme and doing the right thing in regard to this typically are the type of people who never invest any effort to help run a club .. happy to take by not give.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
snowcone

The purpose of joining a club is not so you can just get club rego.
No club should just give you a rego unless they are a scam club anyway.
It is a privilege of membership that you can be offerred club rego.
I am a member of a club and have 2 classic cars, but both are on full NSW rego that costs a bomb because I want to be able to drive them anytime and anywhere I want.
It's a PITA to chase up Permits to Move all the time and if I get up on a saturday morning and the sun is shining and I decide to go for a drive then I can do it, but with club rego in NSW you can't.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
It's a PITA to chase up Permits to Move all the time and if I get up on a saturday morning and the sun is shining and I decide to go for a drive then I can do it, but with club rego in NSW you can't.
The Vic system is such you can do that, for up to 90 days over the 12 month period.

Another big change is that that the club needs to be certain the vehicles comply with the new Vicroads club permit requirements, and must sign a declaration as such. To assist in this, there are digitally dated photos required when applying, including front, rear side, driver position views, and engine and chassis numbers.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 19-03-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post