Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Steel plates for driveway crossing

Hi, I need to get some steel plates made up or buy them for the crossing so I can get the GT in and out without rubbing the front and rear. I'm located inner West Sydney. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Steel plates for driveway crossing

Go to a steel supplier like Atlas Steel, Bluescope ect. Get them to cut you some.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

expensive stuff these days , sometimes you can find a bit on ebay in various sizes, it might be worth a look , Edit : even some scrap metal places at times have stocks of new and old stuff .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they being used to get across the gutter section or any section of the drive outside your property boundary?
If so you’ll require Council permission first.
A fellow at our bowling club put some sort of plate across the gutter to get in and out of his drive and even though there was about 3 inches clearance under the plate the Council told him to remove it as it played a part in blocking the gutter which pushed the water out onto the roadway causing a vehicle hazard every time something large like a plastic bag floated along and got caught and diverted the flow.
He argued with Council and left it there and is now dealing with an accident involving a kid on a bike who clipped it with his wheels.
I think he lives in or near Concord.
In many cases the Council Engineers can make adjustments to the layback at your cost to help provide access or provide a concrete ramp that transitions with the roadway with an uncovered gap between it and the kerb lip so as not to impede the flow of water.
It’s worth checking first as you don’t own anything outside your property boundary but you are liable for any damage or injuries if something you put there causes a problem.
If it’s inside the property it doesn’t matter but if it’s at all possible why not use a concreter to change the profile of the drive and that way you have a permanent solution.
That’s what you have to do in around the City or the Waverley and Woollahra areas.
Old 16-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

What state. I have 4 gal checker in the garden against the house
A mate laid 90mm storm pipe in the gutter, covered with Reo mesh and concrete a ramp

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
esppwr

I have the same problem at my place. If you put any form of ramp without council permission and somebody hurts themselves on it you are liable. On the flip side, you complain to your council and nothing gets done about it.

As an intern solution, make temporary ramps that you can use when required and store them when not there not.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pics of the offending drive ?

As stated, it can cause trouble with council.
Unless you get some second hand stuff and claim it has been there for years before you came along!

Is it just too much of a dip, or does the concrete pitch up at too much of an angle ?

If there is no footpath to consider you could have the crossover replaced (expensive).
Old 16-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got this drama too.....
My cars pretty much standard height but it touches front and rear every time I go in or out......and if I take any passengers with me I have to ask them to get out so I can get the bloody car into the driveway......
It's a pain in the backside but as others have said......expensive to fix having the driveway redone......
I'd be up for the steel plate deal but it's too much drama dealing with council....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I lifted my suspension 5 mm.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I bought a Territory and an RTV.

Driveways don't faze me anymore, or speed bumps, or kerbs or just the general rubbish condition of the roads in this country.

But yeah. Major steel supplier or fabricator will fix you up.

3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
shaine71
Shaine

Ask council to come out and have a look at it with you. they may be able to rectify with some hot mix.

FOR SALE...
shaine71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Are they being used to get across the gutter section or any section of the drive outside your property boundary?
If so you’ll require Council permission first.
A fellow at our bowling club put some sort of plate across the gutter to get in and out of his drive and even though there was about 3 inches clearance under the plate the Council told him to remove it as it played a part in blocking the gutter which pushed the water out onto the roadway causing a vehicle hazard every time something large like a plastic bag floated along and got caught and diverted the flow.
He argued with Council and left it there and is now dealing with an accident involving a kid on a bike who clipped it with his wheels.
I think he lives in or near Concord.
In many cases the Council Engineers can make adjustments to the layback at your cost to help provide access or provide a concrete ramp that transitions with the roadway with an uncovered gap between it and the kerb lip so as not to impede the flow of water.
It’s worth checking first as you don’t own anything outside your property boundary but you are liable for any damage or injuries if something you put there causes a problem.
If it’s inside the property it doesn’t matter but if it’s at all possible why not use a concreter to change the profile of the drive and that way you have a permanent solution.
That’s what you have to do in around the City or the Waverley and Woollahra areas.
I hear you. I'm in Marrickville local council and they are the reason that I have to do this. About 5 years ago they re-did the street pavements and cross-overs, actually a really good job but they made the crossing too steep. Now if I was driving an 1937 Alvis then I'm sure that there would be plenty of clearance but cars have got progressively lower since. Nearly everyone in our area has steel plates affixed but they are decades old.

Last edited by FairmontGS; 17-08-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
What state. I have 4 gal checker in the garden against the house
A mate laid 90mm storm pipe in the gutter, covered with Reo mesh and concrete a ramp
Thanks mate but in Sydney so a bit far.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
Pics of the offending drive ?

As stated, it can cause trouble with council.
Unless you get some second hand stuff and claim it has been there for years before you came along!

Is it just too much of a dip, or does the concrete pitch up at too much of an angle ?

If there is no footpath to consider you could have the crossover replaced (expensive).
Dip and pitch both offenders.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaine71 View Post
Ask council to come out and have a look at it with you. they may be able to rectify with some hot mix.
Alas, the old crossing had hot-mix applied but not when re-done. I have complained that they left me in a worse off state than before but they reckon the crossing is compliant and they own it anyway so go whistle..
Old 17-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

As an aside, I bought two galv steel drain grates from Bunnings a few months ago which sort of did the job. Dyna-Bolted them in snuggly. Got home from a work trip a few weeks back and they were completely squashed flat. Considering that they were rated at 2 tonne each someone really went out of their way to do a number on them.
Old 18-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about something like these ? a couple each side ?

https://www.rjcox.com.au/product/213...b-ramp-rubber/
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
what about something like these ? a couple each side ?

https://www.rjcox.com.au/product/213...b-ramp-rubber/
The fact that he needs them to be permanent, those wont allow water to travel along the gutter.
I saw a few different options when I was searching for something similar but I wanted removable ones as they were only to be used for getting jetskis out over the layback. I found a local fabricator who made some up for about 450$.
Old 19-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Layback Kerb Driveway Infill
http://www.trafficcontrolsupplies.com.au/dura-kerb
or
http://www.molectra.com.au/web.aspx?pageid=704
almost to bottom of page a couple of solutions

should be easier to get council approval on the companies have probably even gone through it themselves and should be able to help in getting it through with engineer reports/drawings water flow etc.

probably more options out there but they are 2 I know about have not used either though.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just googled and came back with
http://ezicurb.com.au/where-to-buy-ezi-curb-2
and
http://jlcproducts.com.au/index.php/...e-to-find-out/
this second one looks like they have most of it sorted with a few councils
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I had the same issue. Fitted some checker plate until the council told me to move it. In their credit they did bitumen it up for me like the pic below, problem solved. No more font spoiler scrub!!
Attachment 88839

Last edited by GTLEGEND; 21-08-2015 at 06:19 PM.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #22
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I had the same issue. Fitted some checker plate until the council told me to move it. In their credit they did bitumen it up for me like the pic below, problem solved. No more font spoiler scrub!!
Attachment 88839
Very nice of your council hey

Guess that is another option, keep an eye out for the guys doing hot mix pothole repairs, slip them $100 to do the same "fix", win win