Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Angry Are parking spaces getting smaller all over Oz?

In the older parts of Canberra we have normal generous parking spaces. But in any new area they are quite tight. Now I can fit my Falcon fine in them but I have to be careful. Nevertheless im sure im not alone in regularly noticing marks on my doors from other car doors.

This is a pain in the ****! (hang on, how can the word for bottom that starts with an A be classed as profanity by our filters? Thats ridiculous. What if I say pain in the *****? Ok, so the male appendage cant be mentioned by its scientific name either? P E N I....)

We are not short for space in this country and cars arent getting smaller.

Is this rot happening elsewhere? It must stop.

Occasionally one slightly poor park renders the next one useless so the notion that we can cram more cars in is occasionally false. And the general annoyance from having your door marked is not worth it.

I want my old carparking spaces back to original size!

Last edited by turbodewd; 08-09-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Are parking spaces getting smaller all over Oz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
In the older parts of Canberra we have normal generous parking spaces. But in any new area they are quite tight. Now I can fit my Falcon fine in them but I have to be careful. Nevertheless im sure im not alone in regularly noticing marks on my doors from other car doors.
Is that you Hulk....again ?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...parking+spaces
Old 08-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
superyob
Banned

Well logically speaking, the car parks would be smaller in Canberra because it is so damn cold. I bet on a warm day they can accommodate a largish sedan but that would not happen often because every time I see the weather forecast it is sub-zero yet again.

Now if you were to live in sunny Queensland, you would find that there is adequate parking facility for your car and trailer because of the expansion caused by our much warmer than Coldberra weather...

What do you mean that's not scientific?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
No offence to the OP, but I read the thread title and thought...How many posts will it take to get the the Hulk
Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Or maybe Hulk was on to something legit???

Old 08-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

sorry, im not the Hulk....whoever he is.

Now these smaller car parking spaces are also not green because occasionally people have to do a double-take and that chews up more fuel. Theyre not greener thats for sure.

Last edited by turbodewd; 08-09-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You answered your own question. Large cars have largely stayed the same size by percentage. Small and medium cars have grown considerably over the years partly because of safety criteria so nowadays you park beside a larger car more often.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
fps_grandma

These new secure underground carparks down south side are now as bad as those multi-storey car parks in Sydney CBD in space.

New Canberra parking space width = Sydney car space width
Posted an example of Sydney CBD parking space for a small car in a different thread.

I'll have to remind myself to post an example of new Canberra parking space width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Well logically speaking, the car parks would be smaller in Canberra because it is so damn cold. I bet on a warm day they can accommodate a largish sedan but that would not happen often because every time I see the weather forecast it is sub-zero yet again.

Now if you were to live in sunny Queensland, you would find that there is adequate parking facility for your car and trailer because of the expansion caused by our much warmer than Coldberra weather...

What do you mean that's not scientific?
Hey now my turbo intercooled FGX loves the Canberra cold ... but I sure as hell don't!
Ohohohohoho!
I'm considering bringing my FGX and myself to work in Queensland next.

Last edited by fps_grandma; 08-09-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: An FG XR6 in a Small Car spot well played. P.S. Blues or Maroons?
fps_grandma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes parking spaces are getting smaller..new carparks in Rockhampton are hard to get a Falcon in..If going there I drive the i20...oh and knockers 8 months no problems...
Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Yes parking spaces are getting smaller..new carparks in Rockhampton are hard to get a Falcon in..If going there I drive the i20...oh and knockers 8 months no problems...
You're right there csv8. The new Allenstown Shopping Centre is a prime example. The spaces not only narrower, but also shorter. I find it easier to reverse the Ranger into, rather than drive directly into these spaces. Then opening the door to get out, without hitting the car beside you, is an art also.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Anyone think / noticed that Costco spaces are very generous? I'm wondering if it's because they used American parking space standards or if it was by accident.

I think each parking bay has at least half a foot on anywhere else.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I find that car parking spaces are inconsistent all over the place. I will park in several different spots when out on one day and find some are nice and wide, some are standard, and some are a little tighter, only just by a little bit.

Same with parallel parking spots, too. Some are strangely quite long, some are standard. It might do with how many spaces fit into any given particular space, so they average each one out. There must be an art to it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they do seem to vary a lot, some spots there's a foot of falcon hanging out at the front or rear, and sometimes bugger all width,
underground car parks seem to be a bit notorious for being packed in like sardines,

usually i park away from the mass of parked sardines if possible to save on car park dents on my limo`s.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Plenty of pretenders.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

OMG they are in the same thread..................meltdown..................
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Aust and NZ Parking Standard 2009
2.4m x 5.4 m

I don't know if it is compulsory?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
Aust and NZ Parking Standard 2009
2.4m x 5.4 m

I don't know if it is compulsory?
It is a minimum. When you think about it 2.4m width is small. Falcon is almost 1.9m wide.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMG_2504.jpg
No consistency. The front was overhanging slightly, but it was only a support pole in front of the space, not a walkway or driveway.

The minimum standard parking size someone posted above isn't always put into practice, especially in smaller business car parks. Some would be lucky to be 5m long.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In general? Yes.
At the new parking lot at the new depot I work at, DEFINITELY. They're tiny...and it's not like they were running out of room, it's in the middle of a bloody great paddock so they could have made them any sized they wished. Paved nicely, then contractors painted the parking spaces.
Extremely narrow...people have started just parking over the lines where ever. I put my Celica into it dead center, and there's literally ten centimeters each side of it. People with bigger 4x4's, Falcons, and Commodores? Forget it...they park over the lines.
Not to mention the space between rows...this too is getting narrower in some car parks, meaning a three point turn to get into a park if you have a decent sized vehicle.

Squeezes more spaces into a given space I suppose...while assuming everyone owns a tiny hatchback.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian standards are compulsory and if developers or owners or contractors do not follow them when setting out carparks, they are liable for damages, If someone would care to test it in court, and prove the illegal space was the cause of the damage incurred.
refer to AS/NZS 2890.1 1986 or revisions 1999, 2002 and 2004
The average car has grown over the last 20+ years the carpark standards have marginally enlarged. There are several standards for carpark size depending on use patterns, domestic, multi residential, commercial and retail, the size is dependent of frequency of use, configuration of spaces and roadways.
If you feel they are getting smaller, perhaps you are aging and have less spatial awareness than you used too!
remember how big 12 inches really is!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Australian standards are compulsory and if developers or owners or contractors do not follow them when setting out carparks, they are liable for damages, If someone would care to test it in court, and prove the illegal space was the cause of the damage incurred.
The average car has grown over the last 20+ years the carpark standards have marginally enlarged. There are several standards for carpark size depending on use patterns, domestic, multi residential, commercial and retail, the size is dependent of frequency of use, configuration of spaces and roadways.
If you feel they are getting smaller, perhaps you are aging and have less spatial awareness than you used too!

JP
Thanks for that! I'll be looking it up and checking. People at work are already sick of getting doors knocked by other cars beside them, which is, of course, unintentional...the car park is on 24 hour video surveillance and we all know each other anyway so it's not like we would mean to do it to a workmates car...it's not some anonymous car in a car park.

I'll be interested to see the specs...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Anyone think / noticed that Costco spaces are very generous? I'm wondering if it's because they used American parking space standards or if it was by accident.

I definitely feel that's the case at both of their Melbourne outlets.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

isnt it more the gap (double white lines),between the spots? I always thought it was to allow those huge trolleys to go in between the cars.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; together with drinking straws that no longer reach to the bottom of the bottle/can and shirt pockets that are no longer big enough to hold a wallet :-(
Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #25
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post

JP
That is correct. The Building Code of Australia (recently renamed something else my drafting manager told me last week). States a minimum size, and a minimum amount of carparks, this number is determined on the amount of retail/office area, and the hourly turnover of traffic in that time for both sectors to determine the number of carparks. This includes Wheelchair carpark numbers and sizes.

I cant remember what it is, and its been awhile since I did any industrial or commercial drafting.

Funny thing is the it is stated the minimum size is to accommodate my sized Fairlane. However I dont know how many times, Ive parked up gotten out only to walk to the back of my car look at the boot hanging into the thoroughfare, walked to the front of the car and see my front hanging over the line into the next parking bay, and stood there scratching my head. Wondering "WTF?????"

I would say developers are fudging the figures in size land to make up the required amount of car-parks without adding another level.

On the other extreme, do you know how easy it is to park my motorbike? You name it, I can easily fit in it! Even where there is no designated parking!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

MY DL doesn't fit into the car spot at work, with the towball hitting the wall, the front still sticks out.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #27
Statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
That is correct. The Building Code of Australia (recently renamed something else my drafting manager told me last week). States a minimum size, and a minimum amount of carparks, this number is determined on the amount of retail/office area, and the hourly turnover of traffic in that time for both sectors to determine the number of carparks. This includes Wheelchair carpark numbers and sizes.

I cant remember what it is, and its been awhile since I did any industrial or commercial drafting.

Funny thing is the it is stated the minimum size is to accommodate my sized Fairlane. However I dont know how many times, Ive parked up gotten out only to walk to the back of my car look at the boot hanging into the thoroughfare, walked to the front of the car and see my front hanging over the line into the next parking bay, and stood there scratching my head. Wondering "WTF?????"

I would say developers are fudging the figures in size land to make up the required amount of car-parks without adding another level.

On the other extreme, do you know how easy it is to park my motorbike? You name it, I can easily fit in it! Even where there is no designated parking!

It has been renamed the National Construction Code. The Code itself does not contain parking space sizes - those sizes are detailed in the Australian Standard. The Code only sets out the minimum number of "accessible" car parking spaces - the overall number of spaces to be provided is set by the local council.

Some points on the sizing of spaces. Whilst the minimum width is 2.4m that is for an unenclosed space. If it is a walled space an extra 300mm is required for each enclosed side. For unenclosed spaces that extra width of 300mm is the space on the adjoining space which may have a car on it.

Also Australian Standards are not a government body - they are a private organisation and the standard is not necessarily 'best practise'.

cheers
Statler
Statler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #28
fps_grandma

I can't even edit my earlier post below but here's an example of a car park space in an underground parking lot.
This is underneath a "trendy" modern apartment down south side of Canberra.

I run NSW plates as I appear in and disappear from Canberra from time to time.

See for yourself anecdotally if it's any different to your city carparks.