Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: VFACTs August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
price pressure in that segment is so extreme it is possible that nobody is making any money. high sales figures aren't the end of the story especially if they are supported by marketing incentives
Are we sure their not losing money on the base model...while a titanium would bring a few dollars? Seeing as higher spec cars don't cost that much more to build but command a much better sale price.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus Tiatnium is $32k+orc. the Tech Pack should be standard on the Titanium....Cruze SRiV is $28k drive away..The Titanium should be about $30k drive away with Tech Pack with negotiations drive away at Cruze price....
Old 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

We all know higher spec models bring more profit. So maybe why they ditched the ambiente, as it was losing money, and kept the profitable ones?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #34
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Focus Tiatnium is $32k+orc. the Tech Pack should be standard on the Titanium....Cruze SRiV is $28k drive away..The Titanium should be about $30k drive away with Tech Pack with negotiations drive away at Cruze price....
Why? Focus Titanium is priced in line with the Golf Highline, Octavia Elegance and the Mazda 3 SP25.

And in any event, if the Focus is losing money, dropping the price is the last thing Ford should do. They should instead make it better and more attractive to buyers, which is what they've done with the LZ.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 09-09-2015 at 05:09 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #35
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok how many Titanium's have been sold??
Old 09-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #36
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Depressing results for Ford, but there are plenty of new models on the way. As a comparison in the UK in July, the top selling car was the Fiesta (8,500 sold) and 2nd place the Focus (7,000 sold)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 AM   #37
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok how many Titanium's have been sold??
Who cares? This isn't about sales numbers, it's about profits, and where Ford sees itself in 5 years time. Ford are never going to be number 1 in Australia ever again, that much is clear, and what is also clear is that they are not aiming to top the sales charts by selling boring appliances.

Ford are currently in transition, repositioning itself to be more upmarket than the appliance manufacturers like Toyota and Hyundai; to be leaders in technology, dynamics and refinement in this price segment. Going forward, it is apparent (to me) that Ford aren't targeting Toyota, Hyundai or even Holden, but VW and Skoda.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
We all know higher spec models bring more profit. So maybe why they ditched the ambiente, as it was losing money, and kept the profitable ones?
I think very few people were buying them.....it was more a fleet car...which Ford won't chase anymore.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #39
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Who cares? This isn't about sales numbers, it's about profits, and where Ford sees itself in 5 years time. Ford are never going to be number 1 in Australia ever again, that much is clear, and what is also clear is that they are not aiming to top the sales charts by selling boring appliances.

Ford are currently in transition, repositioning itself to be more upmarket than the appliance manufacturers like Toyota and Hyundai; to be leaders in technology, dynamics and refinement in this price segment. Going forward, it is apparent (to me) that Ford aren't targeting Toyota, Hyundai or even Holden, but VW and Skoda.
That is why in almost every add I see from Ford they compare themself to Toyota. That would seem at olds are your comments that "Ford aren't targeting Toyota".
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
That is why in almost every add I see from Ford they compare themself to Toyota. That would seem at olds are your comments that "Ford aren't targeting Toyota".
New ranger ad doesn't. Which was a breath of fresh air.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Personally I see a huge difference between selling a car for profit....and the way they sell the cars.
Both teams go about it in different ways.
Comparing their superior product in advertising then inadvertently lines up with selling them at a higher cost.
Seems rather simple to me ;)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #42
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That chick in the Ford ad
"Sure, you might find a cheaper truck, or a bigger seller, but you won't find a better one."
Quote:
Originally Posted by That chick in the Ford ad
"Who says biggest selling means best?"
What that says to me is that Ford will not sell as many as Toyota (or Mazda), they won't be as cheap as a Toyota, but they'll have the better product. That's why I don't think they see themselves as competitors to Toyota, they see themselves as producing better, more premium products than Toyota.

Ford are currently in the transition phase from being the volume selling Toyota rival that it once was, to a more premium brand synonymous with refinement and dynamics. But it needs to build its reputation before it can come out with ads like the self explanatory, "it's a Golf" style ads. This, I think, is the reason for the comparison ads, to encourage people to make the comparison themselves to see who really has the better product, regardless of price.

(I'd also like to think these ads are payback for those 'Wide-body Camry' ads that inferred that Falcons are dinosaurs, and those Barry Humphries Avalon ads suggesting that an Avalon is "classier" than a Falcon).

For whatever reason, Toyota is the default choice for many people, because they make competent, A to B cars. But that's all they are. You get what you pay for. When was the last time a Toyota won a car review comparison? As far as the light, small and medium sized car segments go, Yaris, Corolla and Camry lags a long, long way behind the likes of the Fiesta/Polo/2, Focus/Golf/3 and Mondeo/Passat/6 - the Ford, VW and Mazda are the class leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
New ranger ad doesn't. Which was a breath of fresh air.
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with those Toyota comparison ads. So long as they can walk the talk and build the better product, which they have, I see no reason why they shouldn't advertise as to the fact that their cars are better than a named rival.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #43
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon, ute & territory still make 50% of volume.

If I was a dealer I'd be worried.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #44
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford cannt seriously compare their cars to Audi, BMW or MB ?? Not same build quality. Good cars , yes but not in that league,,,
Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #45
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

What that says to me is that Ford will not sell as many as Toyota (or Mazda), they won't be as cheap as a Toyota, but they'll have the better product. That's why I don't think they see themselves as competitors to Toyota, they see themselves as producing better, more premium products than Toyota.

Ford are currently in the transition phase from being the volume selling Toyota rival that it once was, to a more premium brand synonymous with refinement and dynamics. But it needs to build its reputation before it can come out with ads like the self explanatory, "it's a Golf" style ads. This, I think, is the reason for the comparison ads, to encourage people to make the comparison themselves to see who really has the better product, regardless of price.

(I'd also like to think these ads are payback for those 'Wide-body Camry' ads that inferred that Falcons are dinosaurs, and those Barry Humphries Avalon ads suggesting that an Avalon is "classier" than a Falcon).

For whatever reason, Toyota is the default choice for many people, because they make competent, A to B cars. But that's all they are. You get what you pay for. When was the last time a Toyota won a car review comparison? As far as the light, small and medium sized car segments go, Yaris, Corolla and Camry lags a long, long way behind the likes of the Fiesta/Polo/2, Focus/Golf/3 and Mondeo/Passat/6 - the Ford, VW and Mazda are the class leaders.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with those Toyota comparison ads. So long as they can walk the talk and build the better product, which they have, I see no reason why they shouldn't advertise as to the fact that their cars are better than a named rival.
Maybe you would do a better job running Ford, cause I'm not sure Ford knows what direction it wants to head. I think you're giving Ford more credit than they deserve.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Falcon, ute & territory still make 50% of volume.

If I was a dealer I'd be worried.
Holden has the same problem. But the rest of their range is rubbish.

Quote:
Ford cannt seriously compare their cars to Audi, BMW or MB ?? Not same build quality. Good cars , yes but not in that league,,,
Since when are they comparing themselves to the euro's (who were building poor quality cars about 10 years ago (except Audi))? Toyota and Mazda command a premium this is were Ford want to be slotting in.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #47
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

Then how to you explain the Kuga & Mondeo ones???

Let’s be real, Ford have been & STILL are trying to be every bit a Toyota, Holden or Mazda.

The only think I agree with is they are in a rebuild phase. This will take Ford a generation before we see them at the top again. You don't regain market share over night. Everyone on here also needs to understand the bottom is not here yet...

200 odd Focus's is a complete joke. The Marketing Manager of Focus at Ford should quite ASAP... They can find more private buyers for Falcon than Focus!!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

More likely they had no supply of run out models before the new Focus was relesed. But yes overall Focus numbers have been poor for a while now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 03:34 AM   #49
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then how to you explain the Kuga & Mondeo ones???
What about them? Kuga is more powerful than a RAV4, and a Mondeo diesel has a lower ADR 81/02 fuel consumption figure than a Camry Hybrid. Both are legitimate comparisons based on fact.

And both Ford products are far superior to the Toyota.

Quote:
The only think I agree with is they are in a rebuild phase. This will take Ford a generation before we see them at the top again. You don't regain market share over night. Everyone on here also needs to understand the bottom is not here yet...

200 odd Focus's is a complete joke. The Marketing Manager of Focus at Ford should quite ASAP... They can find more private buyers for Falcon than Focus!!
I don't think Ford will ever regain top spot on the sales charts, nor do I think that is their ultimate goal. While I agree that the sales figures are somewhat disappointing, it isn't, and shouldn't be the whole focus as to whether Ford are doing well, or achieving the targets that it has set out to achieve.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:55 AM   #50
Espec

Focus is not selling because of the gearbox problems a lot of people have been burnt and have been spreading the word about any one in the motoring world knows about it resale is crap and fords attitude doesnt help.It will take a lot of work to get the new focus sales increasing
Espec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #51
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems strange that the gearbox problems wheren't picked up in development road testing?? Why did Ford let a faulty product go to market?? VW did the same!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #52
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What about them? Kuga is more powerful than a RAV4, and a Mondeo diesel has a lower ADR 81/02 fuel consumption figure than a Camry Hybrid. Both are legitimate comparisons based on fact.

And both Ford products are far superior to the Toyota.

I don't think Ford will ever regain top spot on the sales charts, nor do I think that is their ultimate goal. While I agree that the sales figures are somewhat disappointing, it isn't, and shouldn't be the whole focus as to whether Ford are doing well, or achieving the targets that it has set out to achieve.
You're missing my point!!!!!!

I'm only commenting on your comment that was 'Ford are trying to move away from being like Toyota". If this is the case, why compare yourself to Toyota products if you’re trying distance yourself from them?

However, I somehow think you’re never going to get my point, so continue on!!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #53
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
You're missing my point!!!!!!

I'm only commenting on your comment that was 'Ford are trying to move away from being like Toyota". If this is the case, why compare yourself to Toyota products if you’re trying distance yourself from them?

However, I somehow think you’re never going to get my point, so continue on!!
As already mentioned.......comparing yourself to a car or car company in advertising is totally different then charging a premium because you KNOW your car is a better product.
Just because ford may target Toyota in adds, that doesn't mean they think they're competing directly, or wanting to be like that company....or a bazillions other things. Otherwise they'd be selling the fords for the same competative price and then comparing them in ads, saying ( look...you can buy a ford that's better for the same price)
But no, they target the big sellers, showing people their cars batter....(but you'll have to pay for it because we know our products better)
Imho
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #54
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
As already mentioned.......comparing yourself to a car or car company in advertising is totally different then charging a premium because you KNOW your car is a better product.
Just because ford may target Toyota in adds, that doesn't mean they think they're competing directly, or wanting to be like that company....or a bazillions other things. Otherwise they'd be selling the fords for the same competative price and then comparing them in ads, saying ( look...you can buy a ford that's better for the same price)
But no, they target the big sellers, showing people their cars batter....(but you'll have to pay for it because we know our products better)
Imho