Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Dash6

Default Minor damage and insurance claims

Hi all, looking for other's experiences when its come to making insurance claims for minor damage. Hope the whole scenario doesn't seem petty...
My scenario: Took the Tornado thru a McDonalds drive through and have swiped the curb with the front bumper on the passenger side, taking off a section of paint, down to the raw bumper in some places, about the size of a two iphone 5s' end to end. Made me sick to my stomach when it happened.
The issue with this drive thru in particular is the curb around the drive thru is the same height, its the base of the drive thru that tapers down to the centre from the curb edge on both sides to a drain. So as you are driving round the drive thru turning right, you are paying more attention to not collecting the drivers rear, so you take it a little wide, then as you turn harder right to get around, the drivers side lifts because of the ground profile and the passenger side drops because of the ground profile and the bumper collects the curb. The ute is standard factory height all round as well.
Has anyone had any experiences similar ; ie, had damage due to carparks, drive thru's etc? and made an insurance claim.
Im not the first person to his this curb and i wont be the last. Ive seen this same mark on other falcon bumpers in the area and the curb is rubbed up all black from tyres etc.
Please no comments about my poor driving, just trying to find out if anyone has made a successful insurance claim for something like this and if premiums went up or it was/wasnt worth it in the long run.
My view is we are expected to have vehicles meet a standard (height ) and drive where designated, so if i cant drive my standard height car through a designated drive thru without sustaining damage, there is an issue with this drive thru in particular. It hasnt happened in other drive thru's in the last 4 years of ownership of the ute. ....
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

SOLD - 2006 BF 1 GT-P in Mercury Silver
Manual
Dash6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Minor damage and insurance claims

If the excess is more than the repair bill don't claim is my rule.

You could try asking maccas to pay the excess but I would think their response would be something along the lines of "our curb doesn't move mate".
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fix it and forget about it, if you make a claim the insurance Co will not forget, your premium will go up next year.

Even one claim on your record is one claim too many.

Hopefully you have learnt a lesson, you won't do it again.
Old 20-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Excess would probably be more than the cost to fix.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
petered
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The advice so far is 'spot on'. You can, though, read the Provisions of your Insurance Policy in terms of preserving No Claim Bonus (i.e. Lifetime Rating #1 etc.)

If this obstruction at Maccas is tricky AND they are aware of it AND have done nothing to remove / reduce the risk, you could have grounds for a claim. Worth 'trying on', especially if you have a Lawyer as a friend. If you do pursue it, put the details in a carefully worded letter headed "Without Prejudice" and see what happens. Always worth a try.
petered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

You can only ask them to pay but I think we all know the answer, just cannot understand why you went through it knowing the risk of this happening.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Matty4
Banana

Fix it yourself.
Might cost $100 or so in materials and half a day.

Start with a sanding block (or a DA sander if you've got one) with 180 grit, then 240 and 320 to feather the edges. Couple of coats of primer, basecoat and then clearcoat.
Polish the edges. Job done. Google "Custom Spray Mods" on youtube. He has a couple of videos on how to do it all with spray cans.
That low on the front won't be an issue with the colour as you won't be painting to an edge.

Then sit back with a couple of frothy's admiring your handiwork.
Old 20-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 weeks after i bought my 2012 ford focus, missus went shopping at coles and someone reversed out and scraped some paint off the bumper and drove off.
It wasn't bad but it was noticable if you were looking.
Anyway, got insurance to fix it, lucky i did $500 excess and the job cost $1750 because they had to take the bumper off and respray the whole bumper with metallic black ect.
Just get it fixed, since it happened in car park, it doesn't affect my no claim bonus apparantly.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

depends on what cover you've got. fully comp will cover it no questions, but you will pay the excess and unless you have protected your rating 1 then your premium will go up next year.
3rd party or claim off Maccas? forgetit.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another option might be a mobile paint touch up, especially if there isn't too much damage to the bumper. most of them offer free quotes.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #11
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Get a quote and compare it against your excess payment and you may find it's better to just pay for the repair yourself.

Be aware the insurance company will see it as a ‘you’re at fault claim’ and that may have ongoing repercussions in that if you change insurance companies you’ll be asked for the next 5 years have you had a ‘you’re at fault claim’ and it if you stick with your current insurer they’ll know anyway.

That could impact on your premium.

Also you can discussion these issues with your insurance company without raising a claim.

They can advise you straight up what this type of claim will do to your policy.

As you’ve done here getting advice is free, I’d speak to the insurer and get a repair quote then make an informed decision.

I had a P plater run into the back of my car last Friday and I know it’s different as I’m not at fault but a phone call to the insurance company sorted it all out in my head and now the claim has been made, the quotation done and lodged and I’m now waiting for the insurer to approve the quote so the work can go ahead.

All that took about 4 hours of my time with the phone calls and driving over to an approved repairer.

All quick and easy and it’s not going to be the huge inconvenience I thought it would be.

Arm yourself with knowledge and that'll make the decision easy for you.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Claiming off Macca's is laughable.

Get the repairs quoted ASAP.

Then if it's high enough over your excess, then lodge a claim. I normally go on a rule of 150% of the excess to claim, that will justify any change to NCB and/or premium.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was for myself i would not even bother thinking about making a claim for 2 or 3 hundred dollars, just not even worth mucking around with insurance companys imo,

it would be fix it myself on the weekend if i was able , or just drop it off to someone who can do it, pay the money and never worry about it again, and perhaps find another drive through.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Don't pay insurance, save the hundreds of dollars each year that would have gone to the insurance company and then you have a wicked sum of money after 5 years and you'd just go and get resprayed then use other drive throughs

Insurance is happy to take money, they will take back every cent they give you.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Don't pay insurance, save the hundreds of dollars each year that would have gone to the insurance company and then you have a wicked sum of money after 5 years and you'd just go and get resprayed then use other drive throughs

Insurance is happy to take money, they will take back every cent they give you.
Tell that to the uninsured 33 year old P plater who ran into my C63 last Friday.

Apparently he’s upset because if he doesn’t cough up cash for the repairs the insurance company have told him they’ll start recovering the costs by taking his damaged FG XR50 but that’s what you get when texting is more important than watching the road ahead of you.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
XG_Falcon

You'd have to be mad to drive around with just ctp insurance. Not good financial advice.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Tongue in cheek more than serious.

But each to their own regardless.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Tell that to the uninsured 33 year old P plater who ran into my C63 last Friday.

Apparently he’s upset because if he doesn’t cough up cash for the repairs the insurance company have told him they’ll start recovering the costs by taking his damaged FG XR50 but that’s what you get when texting is more important than watching the road ahead of you.
Wow, just wow.
Have you got any pictures of the damage?
How much have they estimated the damages to be?
Did he run into your car whilst driving on the road or in a car park?

Quote: