Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Ford Focus ST quick spin review

Quote:
Ford Focus ST quick spin review

Blue oval's turbocharged pocket rocket takes aim at the likes of the Volkswagen Golf R.

Toby Hagon
2 December, 2015

See the link below for video

Vitals: $38,990 (plus on-road and dealer costs); 2.0-litre 4-cyl turbo petrol; 184kW/345Nm; 6-speed manual; 7.3L/100km; front-wheel drive

2015 Ford Focus ST is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder. Photo: Supplied

Why we're driving it

Along with the rest of the Focus range the ST was recently updated with notable styling updates, particularly around the nose. The interior, too, has been cleaned up and some more equipment thrown in for good measure. Unlike the rest of the range, though, the engine in the ST is unchanged – still a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo (basic models swap the previous non-turbo 2.0-litre for a 1.5-litre with a turbo).

What is it?

One of the fastest cars Ford makes – and by far its fastest hatchback. The ST is the performance icing on the Focus cake. It uses the same five-door hatchback body as the Focus but gets a more powerful 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo (it's the same basic engine used in various Land Rovers, Jaguars and even the Ford Falcon).

What isn't it?

Unassuming. Even the car-unaware would notice there's something a little special about the ST. The fantastic-looking 18-inch alloy wheels and big exhaust outlets also give the game away. And once you stab the accelerator there's no mistaking it for everyday small car fare.

What does it say about me?

You've done your research. The Focus isn't a great selling small car and you don't see as many STs around as you do, say, a Golf GTI. So it's not the sort of thing you stumble across. Yet for those lucky enough to drive one they soon figure out it's a cracking hot hatch.

What colours does it come in?

White, red and "Stealth" (a mid-grey) are the only standard colours, with the other four (blue, black, yellow and silver) adding $450. Depending on the exterior colour there are also four different seat highlight colours – red, blue, yellow and grey. Yellow is the pick if you want to stand out, but the blue (which is unique to the ST) really suits the car.

If it were a celebrity, who would it be?

Robert Downey Jr. Feisty and occasionally off the rails, yet versatile. Like the Iron Man and Avengers actor the ST is not always top of mind.

Why would I buy it?

For one of the most engaging hot hatch experiences going. It's also the only Focus currently made in Germany (the rest come out of Thailand).

Best bits?

The hugely flexible engine; it's the heart of the ST and is one of the best of any hot hatch. The Recaro front seats are also fantastic, with great adjustability and even better lateral support (they look cool, too). Plus there's the look, especially the twin-centre exhausts, the aggressive grille and those great wheels (with red brake calipers within). This latest update has cleaned up the interior considerably; there's still some of the cleverness (adjustable cupholders up front and storage binnacles either side of the rear seat) and the main infotainment controls are far more intuitive.

Worst bits?

Some of the gauges – especially the three on top of the dash, one of which is the turbo boost gauge – use a font that looks like it was designed for the latest Lego set, rather than a high performance car. Those wanting to relax may not like the fact it isn't available as an auto. At 12.0m the turning circle is fairly large (1m bigger than the regular Focus), which can make a three-point turn a five-pointer.

Does it cost too much?

No way. It's certainly in the hunt with other hot hatches and undercuts many. Not lacking in standard equipment, too, so it's great value when compared with some. Plus there's an optional Technology Pack ($2000) that brings auto emergency braking (up to 50km/h), auto high beams, lane keep assist and lane departure warning.

Will I get a deal?

Maybe a grand or two, more likely on a car in stock or a dealer demo. But don't go thinking you'll trouser thousands.

Will it get me noticed?

Only to those who matter. The great looking 18-inch wheels, body kit and ST badges are enough to alert the astute enthusiast that that it's not your average Focus. Others might recognise the colours unique to the ST (yellow and "Performance Blue", for example). But to the average punter they'll probably mistake it for a garden variety Focus, which is good and bad…

Does it go?

Yep, nicely. In first gear it's difficult to convince the 18-inch Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres not to wheelspin. Blame that on the 345Nm of torque (or 360Nm for up to 15 seconds at a time) that kicks in from just 2000rpm. The 184kW of power doesn't hurt, either, and ensures this is one feisty Ford.

Does it like corners?

It loves the bends, but be careful when you're applying the power – and make sure you've got both hands on the wheel. There's so much grunt going through the front wheels that it generates a fair amount of "torque steer", whereby the steering tends to take off in the direction you're turning it more than you expect. Thankfully there's plenty of grip and the ST is obedient once it's given up arguing with you on which direction it'd prefer to go.

What about bumps?

The suspension is taut and ensures you'll feel every ripple. But it doesn't jar and deals with speed humps pretty well, so it copes well with the cut and thrust of suburban life.

How's the sound system?

Pretty naff. It's a Sony system (how 1980s…) although you no longer get the Sony logo splashed across the dash; now it's only on the speaker grilles. It's got reasonable bass but sounds thin in the mid-range and lacks clarity with the high notes. At least digital radio is part of the deal, as well as the usual Bluetooth streaming now commonplace.

What about service stations?

Claimed consumption is 7.3 litres per 100km and it prefers the premium unleaded brew. Yet its real world performance isn't bad, hovering around 10 or 11L/100km. The recent addition of stop-start – whereby the engine automatically cuts out temporarily when stationary – keeps fuel use down slightly in traffic. Plus if you use its torque more than its top-end power it can be surprisingly frugal – for a performance car.

Would you buy one?

I'd absolutely be tempted, mainly for that engine.

What else should I consider?

The Volkswagen Golf GTI lacks some of the ST's mongrel but is a better bet as a daily driver. The Renault Megane RS is also a fun machine, although it misses out on rear doors.

The spin

"Reach 200bpm in under 2 seconds."

The translation

Better hold on - this could be a wild ride.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...02-gld6zs.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus ST quick spin review

I really like the question and answer format. No fluff.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My work colleague went to order one ... first shipment accounted for already ... and that's a long wait still .... not taking order for the next shipment yet.

He's going to get a runabout car and hope to be able to get one in 3-4 years time when the next shipment might actually come through.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
My work colleague went to order one ... first shipment accounted for already ... and that's a long wait still .... not taking order for the next shipment yet.

He's going to get a runabout car and hope to be able to get one in 3-4 years time when the next shipment might actually come through.
Would he be interested in a good condition second hand LW MkII....available immediately?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

we got one, but I'm not allowed to drive it :( my wife calls it the Naughty Car and I can't get her out of the driver's seat.
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post

Tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about!! The ST model is German built & has been on the market for 6 or 7+ months already & there have already been many shipments!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 03-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

There's 61 new ST's on car sales alone. Pretty sure my local dealer has two on the floor.
There's plenty of stock.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
xr6turboford

Sounds like a nice upgrade from my current ST but would l buy one? No I'm going to trading the ST in on a new Mustang or the new RS, it's a tough choice.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
Sounds like a nice upgrade from my current ST but would l buy one? No I'm going to trading the ST in on a new Mustang or the new RS, it's a tough choice.

I don't think there's any point updating to the new model. It's mostly the same car.
But a stang or an RS is certainly worthwhile.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
we got one, but I'm not allowed to drive it :( my wife calls it the Naughty Car and I can't get her out of the driver's seat.
If I got in the driver seat you wouldn't be able to get me out of it either, cause I'm too fat, you'd need a pry bar
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sorry guys ... nightshift got to me.
He's after an RS.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #12
MercuryT
Banned

Driven the previous model and really is a fantastic little car.

Problem for me is I simply hate the 'hot hatch' look, and for that reason alone couldn't buy one and would much rather a Mustang.

For those that like it though then it's a brilliant choice and very underrated car outside Ford fans IMO.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
If I got in the driver seat you wouldn't be able to get me out of it either, cause I'm too fat, you'd need a pry bar
I thought that you'd be out trying to order one with a Diesel
Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That'd be the Focus STD ... hee hee
I wouldn't be out seeking one of those myself.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Nice write up, agreed with most of it actually. I was never a fan of EcoBoost but i love mine now. Update time sorta has been pushed back for me cause i really enjoy the car. Few nice touches in the new one over the pre face lift thats for sure. Coming from the MK2 ST the MK3 had big shoes to fill, mainly under the bonnet and the looks for some people.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post