Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Taxi Drivers Warn Fault with Caprice Power Steering..

"Taxi drivers are warning owners of the new model Holden Caprice, manufactured from 2013 onwards, that they might be at risk on the road because of a power steering fault.
Key points:

Taxi drivers say their steering wheels lock, forcing them to stop and restart car
There has been a recall in the US because of similar fault in Caprice police cars
Holden says local recall not warranted

The taxi drivers told AM that the fault can lock up the steering wheel, and the only option is to stop, even in heavy traffic, and then restart the car.

There has been a recall of the exported model in the US, because of a similar fault in Caprice police cars.

But Holden says those cars were under different pressures, and a local recall is not warranted.

Holden did admit it identified an issue in 2014, but the issue was fixed in the affected vehicles.

Taxi driver Daljeet Singh said he was on Melbourne's Bolte Bridge when his steering wheel locked up.

"My steering got so hard I can't move at all, so I was in a position to collide to the other car," he said.

Mr Singh said he had to lean on the wheel with some force, to get him over to the emergency lane.

"And when I called Holden they said that's a normal problem, you just turn off the car and turn it on again and it'll be alright," he said.

Mr Singh said he has had this problem 25 times.

"I have taken it back to the dealership, what they're doing is they're putting on a softer gel, they're cleaning it and putting on a sort of a gel, just a temporary fix," Mr Singh said.
'It's like I'm on a suicide mission'

Mr Singh said Holden kept telling him it was just a loose connection.

"It's like I'm on a suicide mission when I'm on the freeway, I'm scared, all the drivers are scared."

AM has heard a number of similar stories from other drivers.

Dennis Hunter said it has happened to him twice.

"You just have to put more pressure, use a bit of muscles to turn the steering," Mr Hunter said.

Some Holden dealerships have replaced the power steering rack if the Caprice is within its 100,000 kilometre warranty period.

But those over that number are being told they are on their own.

"They've just said we will check it, put a bit of grease and oil and you're on your own, if it does it again you've got to get it replaced," Mr Hunter said.

Mr Hunter said such a repair left drivers $1,800 out of pocket.

Some taxi drivers believe the problem is affecting more than 500 cars.
Holden knew about problem in 2014

Holden's director of communications Sean Poppit said the car company identified an issue in 2014.

"We issued a proactive communication to customers asking them to come in and have their car looked at," he said.

"Out of the 60,000 or so cars we looked at, less than 100 presented with this issue, so it should have been fixed under warranty then at the time and if it isn't now, then there must have been a miscommunication.

"Holden will absolutely make good for those customers that have presented with this issue even if it's outside of warranty."

But Mr Poppit denied any power steering problems would lock up the steering wheel.

"There's a corrosion issue with the steering rack and the fretting, as they call it, but it doesn't mean that the steering stops or gets disconnected or anything like that," he said.

"What it means is you'll experience a potential loss of power steering assistance."

And it seems that the problem is not confined to Australia.

In the United States, General Motors — Holden's parent company — is recalling more than 6,000 Chevrolet Caprice police cars, produced in Australia, because of power steering defects.

An Illinois police department recorded a loss of power steering in its pursuit fleet, but Mr Poppit said those cars were under more strain.

"They run flat out on three shifts, they're constantly idling so you see usage that a normal person, even a taxi driver, would never use," he said.

"So that extreme usage has exacerbated the problem."

Mr Singh said if there was a recall in the US, then there should be one here.

"There is a manufacturing fault. It's not something to do with the connection … if it's happening to 50 of my friends out of a 100-car group that means there is some problem," Mr Singh said."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-2...-fault/7348812
Old 23-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Taxi Drivers Warn Fault with Caprice Power Steering..

That's one sketchy problem to leave floating around for so long.

Thankful that the final Falcon remained steering-pump based. I hate EPAS.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

No surprises there, being based on WM Statesman, electrical-problems-galore, basically what happens when you try to build an overcomplicated vehicle at Holes, Oil Leaks Dents Excessive Noise pty ltd. The resale value of the WM is just comical. Seen some V8 examples for $6k to $8k.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is pretty scary , losing power assistance possibly all of a sudden when you least expect it , down right dangerous.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
That's one sketchy problem to leave floating around for so long.

Thankful that the final Falcon remained steering-pump based. I hate EPAS.
The last 3 Terry's Ive driven have been excellent...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Great - but not everyone has the same opinion.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely that's dangerous enough to warrant a recall?

I guess the cost-benefit analysis suggests it's better to pay off the dead's families than recall all the cars and fix them.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
That is pretty scary , losing power assistance possibly all of a sudden when you least expect it , down right dangerous.
No, they completely lose steering ability. Dad's best man is an owner driver and has a Caprice (2014) and has had the steering lock up on him.

I'm surprised that the fault hasn't appeared in the SWB VF's.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
No, they completely lose steering ability. Dad's best man is an owner driver and has a Caprice (2014) and has had the steering lock up on him.

I'm surprised that the fault hasn't appeared in the SWB VF's.
Not good at all mate, at least with hydraulic you can usually still muscle the steering, but even then if the worst happened at an inconvenient time it could surprise you.
Definitely some good points for our long gone simple cars and manual steering.

Sent from Galaxy Note 4
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No power steering, no worries....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post