Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post 2016 Skoda Superb Wagon Top Spec gets Golf R Engine.

"I’d always thought Czech brand Skoda offered solidly built vehicles with exceptional value for money, but I’d never been a fan of the rather clunky styling on display – until now.

In fact, the latest 2016 Skoda Superb Wagon turns that notion on its head. This time, Skoda has produced a quiet, comfortable and ludicrously spacious family wagon, which also happens to look the business.

It’s a tough ask for any car manufacturer, even for prestige brands, and to produce such a handsome five-door means Skoda has, what I consider, a best-in-class effort on its hands.

It’s not just my opinion, either. There wasn’t one person on my home turf at Manly Beach recently who didn’t walk past the car, stop, and do a double-take at this new Superb wagon. I could sense they were saying to themselves, “Well that looks good, but what is it?”

For that reason alone, it’s hard to think of Skoda as one of the Volkswagen Group’s cut-price brands these days, with price points for the Superb Wagon creeping ahead of VW’s range-topping Passat Alltrack by more than $2000.

And just like Skoda, Volkswagen offers the all-wheel-drive Passat Alltrack as a one-trim, one-engine model only, equipping it with a 140kW turbo-diesel mated to a six-speed DSG, priced from $49,290 plus on-roads.

Skoda goes one better by offering its top-shelf Superb (sedan and wagon) with the more powerful 206kW turbo-four petrol engine from the hard-charging Golf R, only in the Skoda it’s been de-tuned to deliver 350Nm down from 380Nm for better all-round driveability for a vehicle of this size."http://www.caradvice.com.au/425468/2016-skoda-superb-pricing-and-specifications/

My comment : I priced the 162TSI with Comfort/Tech/3 Year Care Pack and its $53,889:00 drive away.Very good price. The model with the Golf R engine is nearly $60k...Mondeo has a competitor!!!
Old 24-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Default Re: 2016 Skoda Superb Wagon Top Spec gets Golf R Engine.

I think they are coming along in leaps and bounds. I think VW has lost the plot in recent years. I mean, I have a R36 wagon and it is the best car I have ever owned (as much as it pains me to say as much as I loved my XR8) and for them to not continue some sort of proper sports car in the Passat range, is just beyond belief. These superbs will sell well I think with that Golf R engine in them. Good on them!!

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For some years now Skoda has offered space and practicality over its VW counterparts and this one continues further along the same path. The amount of space inside is staggering and it's now clearly on the level of a Falcon/Commodore replacement if you want to go down that path. Add to this a general record of better quality and reliability and not being tarred by VW's poor corporate ethics, if you're buying a VAG car the choice is Skoda unless there's something in the VW stable that Skoda doesn't provide.

The only fly in the ointment personally is that I don't like the DSG gearbox and if Skoda could ditch that, everything would be perfect.
Old 25-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

The six speeder DSG's are a lot more reliable than the 7 speeders used nowadays. I think that they still have to use the six speeder on more powerful cars due to the power and torque requirements. The old six speeders use a wet clutch whereas the seven speeder uses a dry clutch, which is the problem. I am certain I have that around the right way. If not, then the six speeder uses the dry clutch and the seven speeder uses the wet clutch. Either way, they are opposite which is the problem. I love the six speeder in my R36. Combined with the steering wheel paddles, it is quite fun when you want it to and the smoothness of the gear changes is great. You just have to remember that essentially it is a robotized manual gearbox and have to drive it accordingly. I mean, I have to drive it a little differently to the territory which has the normal torque converter gearbox. I'm not saying that they are perfect, in fact no gearbox is, but they aren't that bad.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"This is the third generation of Skoda’s big flagship car. The last generation Superb was large, this new one is longer and wider. Skoda has increased the wheelbase, too. and the net result is more shoulder room and legroom. Boot size is up by 60 litres, with a huge 625 litres in the sedan and 660 litres in the wagon.

To put that in perspective the Holden Commodore is about 8cm longer and 3cm wider but its sedan has a boot capacity of 495 litres. That’s because the Commodore doesn’t have a liftback opening, but also the Superb uses the Volkswagen Group’s MQB architecture – it’s scalable platform that can shortened or lengthened. Therefore the Superb uses a stretched Golf platform. It's a similar formula used for the new Passat, but the Skoda is 94mm longer, 32mm wider and has an extra 50mm in wheelbase."
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...ve-video-40205
Old 25-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The significant step-up is that the Superb now has the Falcon/Commodore's full 3-seat internal width in the back unlike many Euros and Asians that are basically 2 1/2 seats in the back. Plus it has even better fore-and-aft leg room. From a Ford perspective it has now leap-frogged the Mondeo which Ford was pushing as the Falcon replacement.

Our local dealer sells both the Mondeo and the Superb so it will be interesting to see how sales go. Skoda's main issue in Australia (unlike the rest of the world) is brand-recognition by the public. They don't know what it is and can't get a handle on it.
Old 25-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...My first encounter of Skoda was my boss's car in 1977..It was my first job and they owned a little yellow Mazda...I think it was an 808 or similar..One morning I walked into work to see this white box on wheels sitting where the boss's car sat..It was awful to look at..gutless as hell as I was told by his wife weeks later..and the build was nasty...How things changed..One of the teachers at the school where I work now has a 2009 Octavia..That is a beaut car..He told me that performance wise it matched his old XR6..BA model and the fuel consumption is way better..He bought it new and has no plans to get rid of it..
there you go...first impressions of that 77 skoda run deep..but the worm turns...Remember way back ..the Honda Z..Oh my God..look at Honda now...
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

roddy1960...or Subaru..look how Subaru has changed !!! http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/su...ru-360-1958-04
Old 25-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
roddy1960...or Subaru..look how Subaru has changed !!! http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/su...ru-360-1958-04
..G'day Thanks for that..I agree completely...Subaru are pretty great..but yes they came from a long way back ..I didn't know til recently that they began life manufacturing aircraft a bit like the parent company of Mitsubishi did. I wonder was the 360 cc engine the same ..The early Zeds had a 360cc engine too.. A bit of fun but have a look at these 1960's or so Honda ads..so bad they're really good..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rESZ70yYXT8 Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day...My first encounter of Skoda was my boss's car in 1977..It was my first job and they owned a little yellow Mazda...I think it was an 808 or similar..One morning I walked into work to see this white box on wheels sitting where the boss's car sat..It was awful to look at..gutless as hell as I was told by his wife weeks later..and the build was nasty...How things changed..One of the teachers at the school where I work now has a 2009 Octavia..That is a beaut car..He told me that performance wise it matched his old XR6..BA model and the fuel consumption is way better..He bought it new and has no plans to get rid of it..
there you go...first impressions of that 77 skoda run deep..but the worm turns...Remember way back ..the Honda Z..Oh my God..look at Honda now...
Cheers Rod..
hi you reckon 1977 mod was bad . my dad had a 1955/56 skoda it as the worst heap of junk you would ever see.
connie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
hi you reckon 1977 mod was bad . my dad had a 1955/56 skoda it as the worst heap of junk you would ever see.
Skoda is one of the world's oldest auto companies (120 years) and was producing world-leading stuff until 1948 when their country was taken into the Soviet empire. They were then deprived of the contact and competition with the rest of the automotive world as the communists had their own view of how things should be done and consumer goods were not top of the list. Nevertheless Skoda still produced some pretty solid stuff.

The Czech government's denationalisation of Skoda in the 1990s sought a partner that would retain the company as a Czech company using Czech engineering skills but would inject the necessary capital and give Skoda access to common platforms. They rejected a bid from Renault which basically wanted to turn it all into a Renault producer with no local input and thank god that didn't happen.

So it was VAG that accepted the terms of sale and Skoda has contributed much to their profits since, as well as becoming a major international manufacturer with several overseas factories altogether manufacturing over 1 million cars a year.

All of this seems to have gone under the radar of the Australian buying public however which remains fixated on Toyota, Mazda etc etc!
Old 25-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's basically a VW but better value or money but still has the warranty issues from it's parent. Worked at a stealership that sold 'em but not something I'd be buying.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a comparison between Superb Wagon and Mondeo Titanium Wagon.Price/size/power. they are close.
Superb $48,900.With Tech Pack $53,889.Drive away.. Mondeo $54,306. Drive away.
Length : Mondeo 4869mm Superb 4861. Wheelbase : Mondeo 2850. Superb 2841.
Width : Mondeo 1852. Superb 1864. (old scale, thats 5" wider) Front Track : Mondeo 1590. Superb 1584.
Rear Track : Mondeo 1590. Superb 1572. Mondeo Titanium only comes in diesel. 132kws. Superb diesel 140kws...
Interesting!!!
Old 25-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Width is only 12mm wider. Half an inch not 5
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Width is only 12mm wider. Half an inch not 5
Thanks..my maths arent good...still very close in size vehicles..
Old 25-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting road test between them and a Volvo...http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...-a3089656.html
Old 26-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Did a comparison between Superb Wagon and Mondeo Titanium Wagon.Price/size/power. they are close.
Superb $48,900.With Tech Pack $53,889.Drive away.. Mondeo $54,306. Drive away.
Length : Mondeo 4869mm Superb 4861. Wheelbase : Mondeo 2850. Superb 2841.
Width : Mondeo 1852. Superb 1864. (old scale, thats 5" wider) Front Track : Mondeo 1590. Superb 1584.
Rear Track : Mondeo 1590. Superb 1572. Mondeo Titanium only comes in diesel. 132kws. Superb diesel 140kws...
Interesting!!!
Internal dimensions are what's really significant:

Superb is 1507 across the front seats and 1520 across the back
Falcon is 1513 mm across the front seats and 1494 across the back
Mondeo is 1469 across the front and 1410 across the back
Passat (VW's equivalent to Superb) is 1506 both front and back but doesn't have the legroom.
Old 26-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
It's basically a VW but better value or money but still has the warranty issues from it's parent. Worked at a stealership that sold 'em but not something I'd be buying.

Skoda is a confused brand in Australia and not many understand it or buying it. Look at any adds selling Skodas it will most likely mention it is Volkswagen "underneath " (which it is) . So it is supposed to be cheaper VW brand except it is not cheap . It is a VW except it is not and it is cheap but it is not.
Resale is nonexistent for Skoda so if you want a VAG car better stick with VW or Audi.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Skoda is a confused brand in Australia and not many understand it or buying it. Look at any adds selling Skodas it will most likely mention it is Volkswagen "underneath " (which it is) . So it is supposed to be cheaper VW brand except it is not cheap . It is a VW except it is not and it is cheap but it is not.
Resale is nonexistent for Skoda so if you want a VAG car better stick with VW or Audi.
I see Skoda as VAG's quality arm like Audi is VAG's luxury arm. There's a bit of practical extra in Skoda and it's better put together and more reliable. (And the manufacturing company isn't a pack of cheating dogs!) The joke in Europe has been for some years that Skoda makes a better VW than VW and there was the scandal in Wolfsberg a few years back when heaps of VW middle executives were found getting Superbs as their salary package car instead of VWs!

It doesn't deserve to be cheap any longer but while it is still a little cheaper it then represents amazing value for purchase money over VW. That provides a little compensation for depreciation.

This is where Skoda sits and how it's increasingly seen by its buyers around the world - except Australia where people don't understand what it is. So naturally resale will be affected. It's something you own because you know its qualities and you're prepared to take a hit at resale. But it's also well built enough that it will provide reliable service for years, so many people will simply hang on to them.

The service guys at our local Ford dealer who is also a VW and Skoda dealer say their most reliable cars are the Fords and Skodas. The VWs are the ones that are often brought in on flat-top trucks.
Old 26-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I see Skoda as VAG's quality arm like Audi is VAG's luxury arm. There's a bit of practical extra in Skoda and it's better put together and more reliable. (And the manufacturing company isn't a pack of cheating dogs!) The joke in Europe has been for some years that Skoda makes a better VW than VW and there was the scandal in Wolfsberg a few years back when heaps of VW middle executives were found getting Superbs as their salary package car instead of VWs!

It doesn't deserve to be cheap any longer but while it is still a little cheaper it then represents amazing value for purchase money over VW. That provides a little compensation for depreciation.

This is where Skoda sits and how it's increasingly seen by its buyers around the world - except Australia where people don't understand what it is. So naturally resale will be affected. It's something you own because you know its qualities and you're prepared to take a hit at resale. But it's also well built enough that it will provide reliable service for years, so many people will simply hang on to them.

The service guys at our local Ford dealer who is also a VW and Skoda dealer say their most reliable cars are the Fords and Skodas. The VWs are the ones that are often brought in on flat-top trucks.

Skoda is VAG owned and uses the same engines , transmissions and everything else that goes into making a car. This is all packaged into slightly bigger and uglier bodies . So you do get a more value as in a bit more equipment and size as compared to VW version.
Being VAG cars Skodas are affected by same recalls in regards to cheating emissions scandal .
http://www.skoda.com.au/dieselinfo
I don't dislike Skodas and in fact have suggested a Yeti diesel to my MIL who is very happy with it. She is retired and won't be selling it any time soon - it is a great little car - space efficient ,frugal and fun to drive.
I am just being realistic about once proud and innovative company that is now just repackaging VW product. Thats is the reality of multinational companies that don't leave much space for smaller ,less mainstream players. Companies like SAAB , Skoda , Volvo or Lancia.
Old 26-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It gets even more confusing here in town.

Skoda is sold by the Ford dealer along with Great Wall, SsangYong, BMW, Peugeot, and Citroen

VW is sold by the Nissan Dealer along with Kia, Volvo and Audi
Old 26-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The key difference is that just about everything including componentry is made in Czech Republic which is consistently better than made in Germany. German quality is good but inconsistent, Czech quality is consistently good and that applies across a range of industries (I know, I've worked with the two in another transportation field). There's a saying that the Germans make perfect products for a perfect world, the Czechs make perfect products for an imperfect world. If they have to work with German stuff they refine it so that it works properly.

The bottom line for VAG of course is that Skoda is a big money-maker for them and its in their interests to cultivate the differences. The awkward bit (for their egos) is when Skoda cannibalses VW sales but ultimately it doesn't matter for them where the profits come from.

Last edited by new2ford; 26-04-2016 at 04:18 PM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #23
Sioso
irregular member

This might make the shopping list for my next car.
AWD wagon, 1600kg and with nothing more than a tune will see 280+kw and over 500NM.
It would be a bit of sleeper too which I like.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
AWD wagon, 1600kg and with nothing more than a tune will see 280+kw and over 500NM.
Especially since Ford USA aka One Ford has taken the running on Mondeo which will progressively send it down the drain. Should have left it to Ford Europe which knows these types of car. First the Australian Fords, now Mondeo trashed by Ford USA, what's next? Time to abandon ship?
Old 28-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
It is a highly boosted 2 litre 4 cylinder in that Skoda - same engine as Golf R that is already in very high state of tune (206kW detuned from about 218 for Australian market).
Getting 280kW is out of is possible (as 2l AMG 45 - 280kW/450Nm) but it is not going to be a long lasting affair.
F6 gets similar power/torque out of 4l six and will last for a decade and 300k ...
Old 28-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #26
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
It is a highly boosted 2 litre 4 cylinder in that Skoda - same engine as Golf R that is already in very high state of tune (206kW detuned from about 218 for Australian market).
Getting 280kW is out of is possible (as 2l AMG 45 - 280kW/450Nm) but it is not going to be a long lasting affair.
F6 gets similar power/torque out of 4l six and will last for a decade and 300k ...
Plenty of Golf R's and S3's with an APR stage 1 tune making 283kw and 523nm, only problem I'm reading about is clutch problems in the manual cars.
And I've owned 4 turbo falcons including a modded Typhoon so there is no need to defend the Ford!
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #27
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe they should do a BMW and have a six cylinder version for those not so interested in fuel consumption. I believe Superb did actually have a V6 and maybe that's still available in Europe? That said, these Superbs and Octavias are to be found clicking up huge milages in Europe, in the hundreds of thousands including lots of driving at the ton or more. The engines are far more rugged than you'd think.

We've had this discussion before, but I missed my V8 for a while when I changed to the Ford IL6 but after a while I didn't miss it any more. Changing to a turbo 4 though, they've got plenty of go but I do miss that deep well of power in the IL6! But it's all about fuel consumption nowadays and I don't miss the 6s fuel consumption one bit.

And in reality the number of times you really have to plant it are few and far between. When it does happen I just switch to Sport and dream nostalgically about my Aussie Ford while yelling "come on you bastard"

The turbo 4 is the new normal for cars nowadays.