Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Headlight restoring

Seen this product advertised for restoring faded headlight glass/plastic...is it really worthwhile
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Headlight restoring

I was doing professional headlight restoration as a job for a while in the past, and there is nothing that will permenantly fix the typical yellowing/crazing/cloudiness unless you completely sand the whole surface of the headlight right back, so all the old UV coating and damage has been removed, and then go through a sanding process from coarse to ultra fine, and then recoat the headlight surface in a UV headlight clear the same as what the manufacturers use.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions happy to help
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's the CRC Headlight Doctor that you get from Supercheap then the answer is YES YES YES!

I used this stuff on my old Lexus' headlights and they worked a charm. I spent about 30 minutes rubbing away with a microfibre cloth and it came out amazing, went from Yellow to effectively brand new. The key word is effectively though, if you look close enough it wont be the same as a new headlight. If I could put it into words I'd say that the CRC stuff makes your headlight look 90% brand new, the last 10% you can only really gain by replacing it with brand new ones or spending a weekend sanding down and doing the process mentioned by Brad.

Personally, the best $20 I ever spent tbh.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Matty4
Banana

I've done a few sets in my time and depending on the severity of the yellowing start wet sanding the lense with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 before a quick polish using a course polishing compound. Then you'll need a UV coating over that.

Or you could just watch this..
https://youtu.be/GVlM3cAVrEk
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
nifty nevnker
Starter Motor

Discovered quick way to rejuvenate headlights just use me meguairs scratch remover polished up a treat
nifty nevnker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
OzriderXR8

I had to do the lights on my 4x4 for a RWC to sell, sanded and polished to get most of it done then discovered Autosol works like a miracle paste.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...A couple of years ago I began to think it was about time to do something about my yellowing AU ll headlights...Thought to myself "Might buy some new ones"...Geez...I was quoted over $500 for the pair for genuine units..I think delivered it was $540...and strangely one was more expensive than the other.
I got on You Tube and found a heap of vids on restoring lights..Tons of good tips , some mentioned here already including wet sanding etc.. A good friend is an old English car restorer and was talking to him about it..He asked me if I had any Car cutting compound..I told him that I didn't.."I do " he said...A few minutes later we were restoring my headlights to near new look. The transformation was amazing..Just doing a small area at a time cleared them up a treat. Whole job took 20 minutes..They've lasted well and every few months I give them a quick 'refresh' to keep them clear ..The only time I'd buy new headlights now is if they were actually cracked or broken. A bloke at work has a Subaru Forester with super yellow headlights so I showed him the the cutting compound fix a few weeks ago..He was amazed too..Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

These posts might give you some help, I still have to give mine a touch up occasionally - XH ute.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11366745

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11374684

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post