Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2018 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 spy shots

Quote:

Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] is out testing the next step in performance for the sixth-generation Mustang.

The new model will fill the void left by the previous generation’s Shelby GT500 and could go by the same name, though we’ve also heard a revival of the Mach 1 name is possible.

It’s due for the 2018 model year and expected to deliver an output that will put it on an equal footing with the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, which deliver 650 and 707 horsepower, respectively.

The changes made to the car are heavily camouflaged but we can see a more aggressive front than the one on the Shelby GT350R. It looks like there are larger intakes in the bumper and a nice power bulge on the hood. The front track appears to be slightly wider, too.

The prototype is also wearing massive Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires and features beefy Brembos with cross-drilled rotors. The rear matches the design of the Shelby GT350R but a larger wing is mounted to the trunk lid.

What’s lurking beneath the hood is still a mystery but it may be the oft-rumored twin-turbocharged version of the 5.2-liter V-8 in the Shelby GT350 models. Our photographer claims the engine sounded like the familiar flat-plane crank V-8, but a sticker on the windshield suggests a twin-turbocharging system has been installed.

The sticker reads “TT-0081.” This is the same designation that featured on prototypes for the 2017 F-150 Raptor, which also has a twin-turbocharged engine, albeit a V-6. Forced induction wouldn’t be an odd move as the previous Shelby GT500 came with a supercharged V-8. Supercharged V-8s also feature in the aforementioned Chevy and Dodge rivals.

We’ve also heard that the new Mustang top dog will be fitted with the 10-speed automatic Ford developed with General Motors Company [NYSE:GM]. GM has already fitted it to the Chevy ZL1 and boasts that the unit is quicker than the best dual-clutch transmissions, including Porsche’s PDK.

Since the car is expected for the 2018 model year, it’s possible we see the reveal take place late this year or early next.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...mage=100560028
Old 08-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2018 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 spy shots

On the MustangG6 forums someone said Ford had registered the "Ecobeast" name. Which to me would be an ecoboost version of the Coyote.

Highly unlikely to be a twin turbo Voodoo IMO.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
nstg8a

Tt v6 with awd....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

It's clearly not AWD but they do look like carbon rotors to me.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Surely it will be a heavily modified version of the Coyote 5.0L? A V6 would be incredibly underwhelming... but I guess Ford has underwhelmed us already with the GT engine. Voodoo I couldn't see happening as its engineering would be wasted on forced induction.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Surely it will be a heavily modified version of the Coyote 5.0L? A V6 would be incredibly underwhelming... but I guess Ford has underwhelmed us already with the GT engine. Voodoo I couldn't see happening as its engineering would be wasted on forced induction.
lol..

underwhelming...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Underwhelmed

So underwhelming, all the underwhelming.

Its not underwhelming.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Not sure if serious...underwhelmed?