Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #31
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: BA GT or Typhoon?

Turbos get boring quick,ive owned a couple,i personally would go the v8,one of the most fun cars ive owned was a manual ba xr8,a gt would have to be more fun surely!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #32
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can drive a GT slow and still enjoy the noise, drive a tuned F6 slow and its just a lazy 6cyl.
if you spend most of your time giving it hell go the F6 but if most of your time is crusing with the odd spirited blast go the GT.
$15k will get you a BA GT easy, i got mine for less 3 years ago you just have to ask and be ready to pounce. don't be scared of someone asking $20k to offer $15k they are hard to sell and if they are keen to get rid of it you may get a good deal.

in 3yrs of my ownership i had to do rear brakes and rear tyres (my fault) but the clutch is on its way out so soon will have to spend $1500 on that, still less than what i spent on my 2005 LX8 in the first year
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #33
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've owned lots of turbo falcons and lots of v8 falcons. In my opinion the 5.4 is a absolute Slug in standard form. Gutless down low use stacks of fuel and handle like a boat. The motor is so big but there's nothing inside of it. And the 3v version is even worse. Absolutely embarrassing that a motor almost 5 and a half litres big can produce so little. But with a tune exhaust and lower diff ratio they go ok. My bf gtp went ok after these mods but nothing like my 5.0 gtp. The turbo is the only way to go. The effortless power and torque is overwhelming at times. Fg are the pick but the bf is also a great car. Look at every test a 5.4 had had with a hsv and they have all been beaten. Where as the f6 always does well against the hsv products.
Sorry 5.4 owners. I have had two of them. Never again unless it was really cheap.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #34
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I wouldn't buy a 5.4 to be fast... But even then tbh they are plenty fast enough for the road. One thing I find funny is everyone also quotes 1/4 mile times 0-100, you aren't driving it like that 9/10 on the road... The B series GTs are so tough and they can sound so tough aswell...
Old 09-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #35
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I have only bought FPV cars because they are performance cars. And there is not much performance in a stock 5.4. Why pay many many thousands of dollars more for a performance car that does not perform?? Yes they sound good but not much else in stock form sorry.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #36
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My young fella bought a relatively low k BA GT manual earlier this year & after having another drive a few weeks back, I actually forgot how much fun they are after having a couple years ago!
I actually offered to buy it off him it was that much fun!
Certainly wish I had a car that went that well when I was 20, although I wouldn't have had a licence for long!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #37
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Sorry I have only bought FPV cars because they are performance cars. And there is not much performance in a stock 5.4. Why pay many many thousands of dollars more for a performance car that does not perform?? Yes they sound good but not much else in stock form sorry.
Plenty of performance. If you don't drive like an old Grandma.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #38
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To cobrajet03. The best thing you should do is not listen to me. Go and take a 5.4 gt for a drive and then a f6. Then buy the car you like the most. Everybody has different expectations from their cars. Buy the one that makes YOU happy. Then you will have a great car.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #39
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post

Track them both and see which one performs better lap after lap after lap after lap and then come back and tell us which one is the performance car.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #40
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Ive spent soo much money trying to keep my car cool on the track still climbs in temperatures -_-
Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #41
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Ive spent soo much money trying to keep my car cool on the track still climbs in temperatures -_-
They both suffer heat stroke but the Boss powered cars have an uncanny ability to keep their $)(: together and keep going and going. As a track performance car they are underestimated and the Boss engine is a tough !&@,ker.

In the right hands , both cars handle very well with amazing ability to handle weight shift even with stock suspension. R spec or shockworks makes them defy their weight. Personally I'd have both if I could. F6 for the daily and GT for that "special" feel on the weekends . 7 days of the week filled with awesomeness.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the Cobra dude has offered no further response, it is starting to look like a Hulk thread...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #43
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Happy owner of a BA GTP here and worse still its an auto and i still love the thing Horses for courses i guess,i dont take it to trackdays ive 2 motorcycles for that i simply use it in the weekends and trips away and on public roads its plenty fast enough,it looks good sounds good and the kicker for me is the GT badge i couldnt give a **** wether the bumpers are metal or plastic if it left the factory with a GT badge then its got a place in my shed.Ive owned quicker cars sure ie R32 GTR etc but to be honest havent enjoyed owning any other more than this GTP.If i was a young fella i would make a point of owning at some stage a Typhoon but long term there would be a GT in the shed.

Last edited by 98TLS; 10-09-2016 at 09:37 AM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #44
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
I wouldn't buy a 5.4 to be fast... But even then tbh they are plenty fast enough for the road. One thing I find funny is everyone also quotes 1/4 mile times 0-100, you aren't driving it like that 9/10 on the road... The B series GTs are so tough and they can sound so tough aswell...
One of my fondest memories car related is first driving a fpv b series GT auto.

I owned a well modified e series Windsor V8, felt like it had plenty torque and I thought she went really well.

Fpv GT hit the showrooms and I thought I would go drive one for comparative reasons. 290kw was so much back then. Jumped into a brand new fpv GT and was completely stunned by the top end surge. It was about even off the line with my Windsor and then just completely opened up after its 3500rpm to cutout.

From then on I didn't spend another dollar on the e series and saved up for the b series 5.4

Yes the HSV 6.0 was a little quicker as is the typhoon but the 5.4 is still a very impressive drive in its own right and sounds fabulous.

It's an emotive drive, that evil sounding boss, that change in urgency once the 4 cams open up, a real muscle car.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #45
Swordie

GT - Ford v8 has character.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #46
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Character hey......well if a V8 burble is all you need to have "character" then I suppose the GT wins?

I've had V8s for the last 30 years and the V8 burble can get boring just like the sound of a Harley (maybe I'm just getting old?) .......on the other hand my BA F6 manual(stock) has character in spades!
Hot days you know she's going to be a little anemic but given a cool morning and boy she gets up and boogies with all of the great sounds a Turbo can make, the sheik and flutter etc is addictive.
As for exhaust note, I find the stock system has a nice little burble (for a 6) off idle and you can really fly under the radar just coasting along silently....but nail it and people WILL be turning heads!

Character ???........the Typhoon definitely HAS character
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #47
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Not to be disrespectful to those that own BA GT's, but I think the Typhoon is going to be more desirable going foward. It out competes the GT in every way except for sound, which is subjective, plus I think there were less Typhoons made.

The nostalgia of the V8 is likely to largely die with Boomers and Generation X.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

So much free advice given and so little response from the OP !!!

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 10-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #49
Cobrajet03
Starter Motor

Thanks for the constructive advice.
Going with the gt
Cobrajet03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #50
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool View Post
Not to be disrespectful to those that own BA GT's, but I think the Typhoon is going to be more desirable going foward. It out competes the GT in every way except for sound, which is subjective, plus I think there were less Typhoons made.

The nostalgia of the V8 is likely to largely die with Boomers and Generation X.
Given that the over policed roads we drive on everyday are only going to become way more over policed than you and i can ever imagine in the future "out competing" is irrelevant going forward.Having been fortunate enough to be around during the XW/XY etc era i often chuckle at some of the posts i read re GTs as it seems history does repeat. No dis respect intended at all,the GT thing rightly or wrong is an emotive thing,history has proved me right re value and ive no doubt will again long after ive gone.

Last edited by 98TLS; 10-09-2016 at 08:27 PM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #51
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Scrotum View Post
Character hey......well if a V8 burble is all you need to have "character" then I suppose the GT wins?

I've had V8s for the last 30 years and the V8 burble can get boring just like the sound of a Harley (maybe I'm just getting old?) .......on the other hand my BA F6 manual(stock) has character in spades!
Hot days you know she's going to be a little anemic but given a cool morning and boy she gets up and boogies with all of the great sounds a Turbo can make, the sheik and flutter etc is addictive.
As for exhaust note, I find the stock system has a nice little burble (for a 6) off idle and you can really fly under the radar just coasting along silently....but nail it and people WILL be turning heads!

"Harley/sound/can/boring The things were born sounding boring.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #52
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thread is funny

funny is thread

buy what floats your boat
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #53
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Given that the over policed roads we drive on everyday are only going to become way more over policed than you and i can ever imagine in the future "out competing" is irrelevant going forward.Having been fortunate enough to be around during the XW/XY etc era i often chuckle at some of the posts i read re GTs as it seems history does repeat. No dis respect intended at all,the GT thing rightly or wrong is an emotive thing,history has proved me right re value and ive no doubt will again long after ive gone.
I wasn't alive when the XY was released. I wasn't alive when the EA was released! There is absolutely no emotion there at all for the majority of my generation.

I'd rather a car that perform better, even if legal avenues for the performance is shrinking, than spend the same money on inferior performance to conform to a false nostalgia that I wasn't even around for. Both cars are fine though, it just depends on what condition and what price you can find one in.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #54
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet03 View Post
Going with the gt
Our job is done , good choice.

Thread closed.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #55
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet03 View Post
Going with the gt
Good choice,you wont be disappointed.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #56
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

The Grandpa Tourist. Or the f6 type Hoon? That is the eternal question.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #57
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Scrotum View Post

I have stock G220. There's no burble. It has great sound in cabin when you plant it. It's not a quick car by todays standards. On highway it has great low down tourque. Geat car for cruising. Never driven a GT, like the concept - Grand Tourer. GT sounds like it has enough grunt.

I've driven stock FGX XR6T. Very quick compared to G220. I found Barra 5.4 motor has more character than turbo 6 (more interesting sound). Turbo 6 is technically better motor. Cars about emotion, depends on what your looking for.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post