Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #31
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: NSW pressured to extend point-to-point speed cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I believe in Victoria it's still law for taxis to carry a bale of hay with them to feed the horses.
And that's the way we like it

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I hope this doesn't come in for cars!
I regularly drive through one between Bulli and Wollongong and it's a ridiculous idea even for trucks as the road it's on is quite hilly. So trucks will do 120+km/h down hills then 40-50kmh uphill and in the end the speed averages out.
Going by your explanation if speed averages out then you having nothing to fear, after all point to point cameras work on Time + Distance = speed.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #33
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've reset the onboard AVG speed in the Falcon as i crossed those average speed camera zone (between Cooma and Bredbo NSW). Sticking on 100 gives an average of about 97 km/h.
If you go a bit slow in parts, you can compensate by going fast in other areas. Eg if you get stuck behind a slow-mo. Even more so if you pull over for a p1ss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
an Asian lady who "didn't see you"
Get a bright orange coloured car, then you can accuse the next one of being truly blind.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
Sticking on 100 gives an average of about 97 km/h.
If you go a bit slow in parts, you can compensate by going fast in other areas. Eg if you get stuck behind a slow-mo. Even more so if you pull over for a p1ss.
You do realise that they only check Trucks, not cars ?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #35
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
I've reset the onboard AVG speed in the Falcon as i crossed those average speed camera zone (between Cooma and Bredbo NSW). Sticking on 100 gives an average of about 97 km/h.

I’m not saying this is the case everywhere but the point to point cameras I’ve seen have been on multiple lane highways where slow traffic usually doesn’t come into play.

I've not noticed any off the beaten track.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have wondered how average speed cameras work that cross multiple speed zones.

I know one or two that are mostly in 100km/h zones but pass through couple of lower limits of 80 and 60.

Can you get a fine for an average speed of 97km/h over this section because based on speed zones you can legally only do 94km/h average Or is it just for an average over 100km/h?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I have wondered how average speed cameras work that cross multiple speed zones.

I know one or two that are mostly in 100km/h zones but pass through couple of lower limits of 80 and 60.

Can you get a fine for an average speed of 97km/h over this section because based on speed zones you can legally only do 94km/h average Or is it just for an average over 100km/h?
My understanding is that it’s about time taken relevant to the speed limit and distance.

If you drive along a length of road with 2 speed zones, say a 60km stretch with a 60km/h speed zone followed by another 60km's with a 30km/h speed zone the total time at the fastest speed would be 60 minutes plus 120 minutes = 180 minutes.

Arrive at the end of the point to point zone before 180 minutes and you must have exceeded the speed limit somewhere along the journey.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/csgtsd.html

http://www.machinehead-software.co.u...time_calc.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #38
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I encountered some in Scotland on a road trip this year. We had no idea what (if any) tolerances there were, or how they handled temporary roadwork zones. It was the most boring, and yet nervewracking part of our trip, as we were constantly keeping one eye on the speedo, paranoid that we would get caught for a km or two over the limit, while trying to keep 6 cars and 4 bikes in some sort of a convoy. (How do you overtake when everyone is in zombie mode at the same speed?)

I pass through the Bulli/Wollongong set often, in a coach, but they don't bother me, as I know I'll only be doing 40-50 on the many uphill runs, so gaining some momentum over the limit on the downhills (to try to get a decent run up the next hill) isn't a concern, unless there are unmarked cars around.

In a car, it's easier to keep a consistent speed up and down hill, so they would make more sense to catch cars than heavy vehicles.

I wonder if there's any data on just how many speeding trucks get caught in that set.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post