Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Breaking News - Dozens trapped at the top of Movie World roller coaster

Another ride failure...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...1fd5fe03a647e1
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: Breaking News - Dozens trapped at the top of Movie World roller coaster

It happens all the time.
Its only an issue this time since Dreamworld.
Why did you feel the need to get on the media bandwagon and post it?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Breaking News - Dozens trapped at the top of Movie World roller coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
It happens all the time.
Its only an issue this time since Dreamworld.
Why did you feel the need to get on the media bandwagon and post it?
WTF? It's a forum! If no one posts it would not exist!

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I for one think this is quite interesting and I'm glad you posted it BAXRSIX because otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard about it.

It's a good thing that this wasn't a serious incident, nevertheless being trapped up there for almost two hours would not have been an enjoyable experience.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do companies use auto tweets for? Can they not just have someone type the tweets out themselves? Would stop poorly timed posts like this one.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Whilst I understand that the very unfortunate incident at Dreamworld last year has put the spotlight on these sorts of events, I really don't understand the hysteria that subsequent, essentially non-newsworthy, events create.

I've been stuck on several rides over the years, all of which ended up with no injuries, and certainly no news coverage!

The worst was on Lethal Weapon, where we were not released from the first braking station near the conclusion of the ride. We sat, suspended in the air, for at least 20 minutes whilst a maintenance person was harnessed up to be able to climb t the top of the braking station and manually activated the brake release mechanism. We then continued around to the second braking station whilst the maintenance person climbed down from the first station, scaled the second and released us once again. At the third, and last station, manual releases were activated to allow us out of the seats.

Apparently this all happened because power was lost to the braking mechanisms at the braking stations, and the fail-safe design was such that the brakes could only be released with power activated or by being manually operated.

Whilst it was a little inconvenient, the way I looked ta it was that we had a unique experience, and the safety system worked exactly as was designed.

I could just imagine how this would be reported if it had occurred after the Dreamworld incident.

The other rides I have been stuck on were the Bermuda Triangle ride and the flume ride both at Sea World (this was on the same holiday as the Movie World incident, so maybe there was a message there I was just not getting ). My sister also experienced having all of the water disappearing whilst she was on the River Rapids ride at Dreamworld. This happened back in the 90s.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
The worst was on Lethal Weapon, where we were not released from the first braking station near the conclusion of the ride. We sat, suspended in the air, for at least 20 minutes whilst a maintenance person was harnessed up to be able to climb t the top of the braking station and manually activated the brake release mechanism.
I get what you're saying but these people were stuck up there for ~6x as long as that. Being stuck anywhere for two hours isn't going to be a good time. I know I would have been extremely uncomfortable.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it when rides break down. Queue evaporates and I'm on next...if its not a two hour delay.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I get what you're saying but these people were stuck up there for ~6x as long as that. Being stuck anywhere for two hours isn't going to be a good time. I know I would have been extremely uncomfortable.
For clarification purposes, I never said sitting on a ride for 2 hours awaiting being released would not be uncomfortable. I was simply relating the details of my own experience.

Having said that, by the time we were released from each of the 3 braking stations, it would have been a cumulative time of over an hour. Still not as bad as two hours though.

My point is that these sorts of issues happen all the time, and if you ride on one of these things you have to expect that there is a chance that you will be caught up in it. There's no point in getting worked up into a tizz because it just so happened that the failure occurred whilst you were on it. Accept that it has happened (and that there is nothing you can do about it whether you get worked up into a tizz or not) and make the most of the opportunity!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I think these incidents happen more often than many suspect, its just become news worthy on the back of the Dreamworld incident.

Whilst on the Gold Coast last year we visited Wet n Wild and I got talking to one of the operators who was running the Kamikaze ride, I asked him if he'd seen any big stacks on it and he said not on that particular ride, but some nasty ones on other rides in the park.
I said if I went on it was sure to happen, he laughed and said id be fine.

My kids were already riding it at this stage and trying to get me on but I was a bit concerned about the big drop if you managed to flip over the top, yes I'm a sook when it comes to these types of things, always looking at the what if's.

So eventually my 16yo daughter convinces me to give it a crack. Now to set the scene our combined weight would have been easily nudging the ride limits and with me at the back weighing in at 124kg(I know because they wouldn't let me on the Aqua loop ride as I weighed in over the limit) we had plenty of downforce...lol
So we hop into the seats and were off and I tell ya, I fair dinkum **** myself when we ploughed into the top at the other side and became airborne landing half way down on the return slope.
When we finally came to a stop and got off the operator said that was the closest he'd seen to someone coming off at the top.

That was it for me, first and last time on that bloody thing, from then on I could be found on the Constrictor.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post