Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #91
xr8cam

Default Re: Stoned drivers

Great to see so many contributions. I wonder how many anti pot people drink and drive, even if they think they are under the limit? My experience when talking about this socially is that the drinkers seem to think the smokers are the bad guys and vice versa. I don't drink at all, and I always notice at social functions, how quickly 2 or 3 drinks changes people. How about their driving I always wonder as they continue to drink and drive just because its accepted pretty much, especially with the older generations I find.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #92
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Flame away, but before you do remember an old biblical saying, let he without sin cast the first stone.
Took 3 posts...

Haha, I remember the North West in the 80's where BIG road trains were driven by hard men and distance was measured by stubbies consumed.

Times change.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #93
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Took 3 posts...

Haha, I remember the North West in the 80's where BIG road trains were driven by hard men and distance was measured by stubbies consumed.

Times change.
With the amount of strong amphetamines coursing through their veins the grog wouldn't have touched the sides. I remember driving from Melbourne - Brisbane one year and watching an 18 wheeler overtaking on a blind corner, the days when the Hume Hwy was one lane each way.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #94
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Interesting reading below I thought.

As for driving under the influence, of course it does have an effect. However it's not even close to the same level as alcohol.

Quote:
World’s most comprehensive study into marijuana delivers controversial findings

WHILE the recreational use of marijuana is becoming slowly legalised across the globe, the drug is still largely considered to have diminishing results on mental and physical health.
But how much of this view is based on fact and how much is derived from weed-fearing propaganda from days gone?

To try to answer that question, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine recently completed the world’s most comprehensive study into marijuana, which examined more than 10,000 scientific abstracts dating back to 1999.

“This report summarises the current state of evidence regarding what is known about the health impacts of cannabis and cannabis-derived products, including effects related to therapeutic uses of cannabis and potential health risks related to certain cancers, diseases, mental health disorders, and injuries,” the report read.

The extensive 395-page report unearthed more than 100 conclusions about the health effects of recreational and therapeutic cannabis use, with many bound to make people question their stance on the natural plant.

Here are some of the more thought-provoking finds.

DOES WEED CAUSE CANCER?
The report said that smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production, but says quitting smoking or ingesting the drug orally will likely reduce these symptoms.
“The evidence suggests that smoking cannabis does not increase the risk for certain cancers (i.e., lung, head, and neck) in adults,” the report read.
“There is modest evidence that cannabis use is associated with one subtype of testicular cancer.
“There is minimal evidence that parental cannabis use during pregnancy is associated with greater cancer risk in offspring.
“Smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production.
“It is unclear whether cannabis use is associated with COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease], asthma, or worsened lung function.”

ARE THERE REALLY THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS?
With medicinal use of marijuana becoming more widespread, there is more evidence supporting the therapeutic effects of weed — something this study confirmed.
“In adults with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, oral cannabinoids are effective antiemetics,” the report read.
“In adults with chronic pain, patients who were treated with cannabis or cannabinoids are more likely to experience a clinically significant reduction in pain symptoms.
“In adults with multiple sclerosis (MS)-related spasticity, short-term use of oral cannabinoids improves patient reported spasticity symptoms.”
When looking at the effects of cannabis or cannabinoid-based therapeutics on the human immune system, the researchers said there is insufficient data to draw overarching conclusions.
However, the report claims there is “limited evidence to suggest that regular exposure to cannabis smoke may have anti-inflammatory activity.”

WHAT ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH?
When looking at cannabis use and mental health, the findings offer mixed results.
“Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychoses; the higher the use the greater the risk.,” the report read.
However, it added that a history of cannabis individuals with schizophrenia and other psychoses may be “linked to better performance on learning and memory tasks”.
The research found smoking weed did not appear to increase the likelihood of developing depression, anxiety or PTSD, with heavy cannabis smokers even more likely to report thoughts
of suicide than non-users.
However, users with bipolar disorders should refrain from smoking too frequently.
“For individuals diagnosed with bipolar disorders, near daily cannabis use may be linked to greater symptoms of bipolar disorder than non-users,” the report read.

WILL SMOKING WEED MAKE ME DUMB?
The effects of marijuana use is proven to have some diminishing effects for mental capacity, with adolescents worse off.
“Cannabis use during adolescence is related to impairments in subsequent academic achievement
and education, employment and income, and social relationships and social roles,” the report read.
The same held true for adults, with findings stating that “recent cannabis use impairs the performance in cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention.”
However, it mentioned these findings were only present in evaluations 24 hours after use.

ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
There has been zero recorded deaths from overdosing on marijuana, although the report does suggest it could play a role in other fatal injuries from being stoned.
“Cannabis use prior to driving increases the risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident,” the report read.
As for addiction, heavy use can be habit forming and could also lead to the abuse of other substances.
“Greater frequency of cannabis use increases the likelihood of developing problem cannabis use,” the report read.
“Initiating cannabis use at a younger age increases the likelihood of developing problem cannabis use.
“Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk for developing substance dependence (other than cannabis use disorder).

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #95
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam;
I remember driving from Melbourne - Brisbane one year and watching an 18 wheeler overtaking on a blind corner, the days when the Hume Hwy was one lane each way.
Umm...... we don't have '18 wheelers' and did you have a CB radio with you and turned on when you saw that.

It was probably me, the Hume was fun back then, and no pills needed. Concentration and chat kept you awake all night.

Waitaminute..........Melb-Bris via the Hume?? were you lost ?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #96
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

A whole heap of likely but not much definitely in those findings Grunter.

From my personal life experience with documentation to support it...

12 years ago I gave up smoking for a few months and began to suffer from chronic back pain. I was diagnosed with advanced Ankylosing spondylitis, a form of arthritis of the spine and associated joints, the Physician who diagnosed me couldn't understand how i'd made it to 29 without suffering from the symptoms, I was prescribed pain killers but they just made me crook so soon after I took up smoking again and the symptoms subsided. On occasion when i'd dry out for a few months the symptoms would emerge. Within 2 months of giving up permanently that changed and I take pain killers now, it most definitely has anti inflammatory characteristics.

10 years ago I decided to complete my HSC as I'd left school at 15 to work, I signed up to an adult re-entry school and scored a 19 for my studies, my Lecturer suggested a 20 to the powers that be and admitted I was the most switched on student he'd ever taught in 30+ years and then conceded that I wouldn't get the perfect score of 20 as people from the north of Adelaide never get recognised for outstanding achievement, his prediction was spot on.
I lost a total of 5 marks from an entire years worth of yr11 and yr12 work.

I was asked by my lecturer to write a letter to the then minister of sport and recreation here in SA to seek continued funding for Aquatics providers in SA as the Government was keen to remove funding at the time.
I don't know wether my letter made any difference, but funding continued.

I was encouraged to sit the UniSA entrance exam to become a sport and recreation teacher by my lecturer.
I did work experience with Aquatics SA and was encouraged to seek full time employment upon completion by the senior instructor I worked alongside.

I dove trucks for a while, never smoked before or during my shift but smoked in the evenings and would most likely have tested positive if tested during a shift from the residual effect.
Of the 6 drivers employed by the small company at the time I was the only driver not to put so much as a scratch on my truck, delivered the most freight and did it all without a single speeding or red light camera fine, the rest of them succeeded in everything from knocking mirrors off to full write offs and had an account with the manager for their fines accrued.

All whilst consuming pot on a daily basis.

I could go on, but I know i'd be wasting my time because people just want to believe that people who smoke pot are beneath society.

Last edited by BENT_8; 09-02-2017 at 05:25 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #97
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Umm...... we don't have '18 wheelers' and did you have a CB radio with you and turned on when you saw that.

It was probably me, the Hume was fun back then, and no pills needed. Concentration and chat kept you awake all night.

18 wheelers is a term used to describe big trucks, if you think radioing ahead to see if there is cars coming, seriously? I didn't go direct from melb to bris. If your looking for a cheap gag, try telling a joke.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #98
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
18 wheelers is a term used to describe big trucks, if you think radioing ahead to see if there is cars coming, seriously? I didn't go direct from melb to bris. If your looking for a cheap gag, try telling a joke.
18 wheelers is a term used in America only, not in Oz.

As for calling on the CB, yes seriously. It happened all night, every night.

Why would I look for a cheap gag, I did it for a living for >40 years.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #99
nstg8a

I think they should be testing for impairment rather than arbitrary numbers.

A guy that has a cone after dinner then goes through a drug test on the way to work in the morning is not likely to be any more impaired than anyone else.

How do you test for impairment? That would be the hard part.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #100
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Only 18hours 30 minutes via the Hume. Just a quick trip up the road wouldn't it be back in the good old days? Only half of a regular shift length?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #101
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Great to see so many contributions. I wonder how many anti pot people drink and drive, even if they think they are under the limit? My experience when talking about this socially is that the drinkers seem to think the smokers are the bad guys and vice versa. I don't drink at all, and I always notice at social functions, how quickly 2 or 3 drinks changes people. How about their driving I always wonder as they continue to drink and drive just because its accepted pretty much, especially with the older generations I find.
You make some interesting and valid points. Alcohol definitely changes my personality (and usually for the worse) which is why I don't go out drinking any more. Like you said, it is easy to see the changes come over people after a few drinks.

I think the main problem with any drug is that too many people don't know where to draw the line - this is ultimately the reason they end up driving with the drugs in their system.

With alcohol the central issue is that it gives the drinker dutch courage and suddenly a stupid idea (drink driving) seems like a fun adventure. Then the snowball effect also comes into play - a few days later they decide that since they survived the first adventure they will up the ante and go again with more booze in their system or even take a bottle with them. Eventually chaos ensues.

Most people that cause mayhem by drink driving are seasoned drinkers that think they are bulletproof due to their experience driving drunk. It's pretty rare that somebody slightly over the limit is involved in a serious crash. I read a lot of transcripts from court proceedings and I keep an eye on South Australian police reports - usually the people that cause death or serious injury have been drink driving for years.

I have read about hundreds of serious road collisions but to date I have not come across a single example of somebody who was only detected with thc in their system causing death or serious injury. I have read a few cases where the person was detected with alcohol and thc in their system though. I'm sure it's happened but it doesn't seem very common, at least from what I've researched.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #102
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I have read about hundreds of serious road collisions but to date I have not come across a single example of somebody who was only detected with thc in their system causing death or serious injury. I have read a few cases where the person was detected with alcohol and thc in their system though. I'm sure it's happened but it doesn't seem very common, at least from what I've researched.
Interesting Junkyard-Dog.

I handled some 1,800 motor accident cases over about a 12 year period, and my job was to look at the evidence and determine what caused the accident and to defend the accident for the CTP Insurers.

What you said mirrors my experience-lots of alcohol involved with crashes and the alcohol being causative. I cannot recall ONE case where THC was by itself the major causative factor of the crash. There were a number of cases where the driver was ****ed and had THC as well.

This parallels my experience with speed, I can count on one hand where excessive speed by itself was the major cause of an accident. Usually there were many other factors, like speed and alcohol, speed and heroin, speed and unsafe conditions like rain or excessive water running across the road, or speed and tyres not good enough in wet, or driving too fast for the road conditions involving tar in hot weather coming loose, or speed and inattention, ....or excessive speed and the driver ignoring signs of roadworks etc, or a big one- driving fatigued at speed after long underground shifts or late at night (horrible case of a mother very late driving her family into a freight train after driving many hours from Sydney and it was after midnight....fatigue is a bad thing to mix with excessive speed in the circumstances.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #103
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With the amount of strong amphetamines coursing through their veins the grog wouldn't have touched the sides. I remember driving from Melbourne - Brisbane one year and watching an 18 wheeler overtaking on a blind corner, the days when the Hume Hwy was one lane each way.
No such thing as amphetamines up there back then, these were real men not todays nancy's.
The trucks were more likely to have 100 wheels than 18.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #104
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah, but does Bunkers count? :P

XC Cobra #181.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #105
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeah, but does Bunkers count? :P
Oh, way before them. Think Mick Travlos, Wards Overnighters (Batmobile), Blue Ribbon Express......... but we're going way off topic now
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #106
xr8cam

Quote:

As for calling on the CB, yes seriously. It happened all night, every night.

If I have to point it out...
Old 11-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #107
xr8cam

Quote:
No such thing as amphetamines up there back then, these were real men not todays nancy's.
The trucks were more likely to have 100 wheels than 18.
Amphetamines have been used widely in transport circles for an eternity. 20,000,000 people in this land, you may know .0001% of drivers personal habits at one period of time. Personally I find it disturbing that your promoting this behaviour as 'manly'. Anybody who cant control alcohol/drugs is no ''man'' and has no right to drive. This country needs to redefine what it is to be a man these days because the current ''type'' is not working.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #108
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If I have to point it out...
Please do.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #109
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reckon that's picking the fly crap out of the pepper,sorry mate. We all know what he's talking about,even a non truckie,trucker,logistics professional (or whatever the term is) like me.

Last edited by XByoot; 11-02-2017 at 12:19 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #110
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Amphetamines have been used widely in transport circles for an eternity. 20,000,000 people in this land, you may know .0001% of drivers personal habits at one period of time. Personally I find it disturbing that your promoting this behaviour as 'manly'. Anybody who cant control alcohol/drugs is no ''man'' and has no right to drive. This country needs to redefine what it is to be a man these days because the current ''type'' is not working.
I interpreted Mercury bullet comment as tongue & cheek, you need to lighten up.

To answer your OP I think any substance in your system that can effect your mental judgement when driving is dangerous & yes you should be punished accordingly to your offence, people should be held accountable for their own actions if breaking the law.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #111
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. if you've ever driven a 70/80's era truck and a 2016 model you will know what I was referring to. Very much tongue in cheek.
The fridge they would keep the stubbies in was a plastic rubbish bin full of ice, usually to be found on the passenger floor.

As for their drinking habits, I'm not condoning them at all, just telling it like it was up there back then.

XC Cobra #181.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #112
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what us normal people have to contend with on our roads.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-...6836d69f6f7ddb
Old 14-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #113
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post

An isolated case if we consider the findings from his research that asagaai gave and goes against the findings from the research that Russ provided of users being more cautious.

The guy was an undiagnosed schizophrenic who had a psychotic episode.
Interestingly the story published last week didn't offer that bit up but rather made it sound as though he was simply off his face on Marijuana which isn't necessarily true.
The truth is he tested positive for Marijuana, which as we know is still present to testing methods for up to 6 hours after its use and long after its effect has worn off so to say he was under its influence is not necessarily the case.
Its not like alcohol which when tested gives a current concentration level, it simply confirms that the person tested has used it within 6 hours prior.
And 3 cones a day is nothing

As I said early in the thread, people with underlying mental health problems shouldn't be anywhere near recreational drugs.

Although the conduct of the clown in this story is not acceptable, for every story like this one, a thousand could be given where alcohol is the contributing factor, yet we condone its consumption and allow it to be present whilst in control of a vehicle.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #114
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post

Wow- that has skewed my stats of accidents, regarding cannabis not being a causative factor in crashes big time.

But I suppose this person had a psychiatric condition - thinking he was God and could drive in whatever way, but it appears cannabis may have been involved in his sickness developing......

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #115
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Wow- that has skewed my stats of accidents, regarding cannabis not being a causative factor in crashes big time.

But I suppose this person had a psychiatric condition - thinking he was God and could drive in whatever way, but it appears cannabis may have been involved in his sickness developing......
Cannabis had very little if anything to do with this person. Massive mental illness and way too many other factors to blame it on a few bongs. Have a look at his upbringing and form. Typical unfounded media blow up.
2 users like this post: