Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: Holden targets premium brands with new Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Will it sell?

Probably not but as of yet who knows as with the right marketing and price point consumers will buy anything.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to write them off just yet.
Historically Holden's marketing has always been very strong. Who knows what they'll come up with to convince the average punter they are still buying a traditional Commodore.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
It's still a Holden. Badge-conscious punters who have the money for Audi, BMW, C-class will not be buying a "Holden" when they can get a Euro-badge for same price. As Trump said, epic fail on the way.
Exactly!

Its this very scenario that contributed to the downfall of locally made luxury cars such as Fairmonts/Fairlanes/G6E's and Calais/Caprise.

Why have a Ford or Holden when one can park of Mercedes or BMW on the driveway to impress the neighbours?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Exactly!

Its this very scenario that contributed to the downfall of locally made luxury cars such as Fairmonts/Fairlanes/G6E's and Calais/Caprise.

Why have a Ford or Holden when one can park of Mercedes or BMW on the driveway to impress the neighbours?
The other angle to look at it is, to compete with the higher end means they will have to either match or better the features. They also will have to try and match the quality and reliability of such features. All this does is push the price up and out of reach of the old demographic (for once I'm not talking about bogans, I'm borderline myself) of the average life in the suburbs family. Mercedes may not sell in huge volumes in Australia, but they do in other countries. Ford sell more over here, but again, they have a global market. If holden go for the premium market their overall sales will drop. We are their only market (and nz). If that happens, does that not make it financially unviable to keep the rebadging going? Then making the head honchos at gm pull the plug on the brand and just re brand the dealerships opel, chev or whatever. Ford did the smart thing and had the somewhat global replacement car for the falcon already established. The mondeo was already here for a long time for another reason, but the release of the mustang before dropping the axe meant people had an option that wasn't a gamble. The size of the mondeo is very similar to the falcon so the family demographic who are more concerned with economy over fanging it everywhere go with that option. I'm waiting for holden to pull the rabbit out of their ar$e and be the top seller off the bat. I somewhat think it will not go well.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #34
Chopped
as in chopped

It'll probably be the highest quality vehicle to wear a Commodore badge. I can't see it selling anymore than 500 a month though.

Also I can't see it matching the chassis dynamics of the current one.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Holden will learn a very valuable lesson the hard way soon.
I think this is the most accurate and most concise post in this thread
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #36
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Historically Holden's marketing has always been very strong. Who knows what they'll come up with to convince the average punter they are still buying a traditional Commodore.
You use an interesting Term..'Traditional Commodore'...what is a traditional commodore. To most people who bought them they were family sized A-B commuters and carriers for mums and dads across the country, that provided reasonable reliability, comfort and gadgetry for the money, unmatched at the time by the Japanese, or euros. They were even reasonably economical to run in a wealthy country. Sounds like a description of the traditional Falcon too.
So what would a new car have to offer to still be a 'traditional commodore'
The fact that most Japanese can and a wealthier country can afford more euros suggests its not a secret.
To most commodore owners they don't need a 13-14 second car dropping off the kids, sitting in traffic to the office carpark or shopping center, but they do need something they can afford, that works and some worry about if it will on-sell when they are finished with it.
It will sell. Not in Commodore numbers, the market has moved on from there, will it sell sustainably is the question, it seems everyone is bringing a 'large' car to market at the moment, obviously a market is seen, is it big enough? Time will tell.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #37
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I think that's got more to do with your spring & shock rates

My Mondeo doesn't do that, and my mates mini certainly doesn't do that when he has his boot jammed in...
Only experience with fwd has been Toyotas and rental Hyundai/kia. RWD experience, Falcons, Commodores and BMW's. Maybe if I try a properly sorted fwd car I may be converted.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #38
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only people who’ll miss the old local built Commodore is the V8 crowd.

Even though I have no interest in FWD vehicles this new recruit is most likely every bit as good as the outgoing V6 variants.

Will it sell?

Probably not but as of yet who knows as with the right marketing and price point consumers will buy anything.

Marketing is one of Holden's strong points if the can sell craptiva they can sell anything
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #39
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What everyone is missing is that new commodore will NOT be replacing the old ones volume.
An Adelaide Holden dealer who had his Holden license taken away stated that "Holden are setting themselves up as a 50000-60000 per year car company, they don't need 235 dealers for that"
They sold 102000 in 2015
Story here....
http://goautomedia.cdn.on.net/gan_pr...letter_025.pdf

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #40
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think anyone here is thinking the new one will replace the old ones volume.

It is totally dumb to be seen in the market place to be closing down dealerships.
Ford are guilty of this too.
People do not perceive a brand to be going places when dealerships are closing up / and or changing to other brands after many years with Ford / Holden.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's look for precedent here in Oz:

Taurus
Avalon
Mondeo
Vectra
Epica
Malibu
Passat

All large FWD that sell/sold bugger all in Oz. All Hail the Camry!

As for premium, that would be even less sales than reasonably priced large FWD. The only premium FWD success story I can think of is Audi, recent sales growth from SUV and smaller versions, not the FWD large cars... and they've got Quattro Haldex style AWD as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #42
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Meat pies, Kangaroos and Holden cars.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That new RWD Kia Stinger is looking better and better by the day.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #44
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Yeah, most remembered Holden marketing & it wasn't even original.

It was a copy from GM US's: Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pies & Chevrolet marketing campaign.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #45
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
Yeah, most remembered Holden marketing & it wasn't even original.

It was a copy from GM US's: Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pies & Chevrolet marketing campaign.
When has Holden ever been original
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #46
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden simply cant continue with their current business model, once they go to full importing. They immediately lose alot of the benefits they get from being a local manufacturer, and of the local commodore (ie government and some non government fleet benefits, Government cash, export credits, local buyer support, smaller high end sales). Whatever hit they will take from lower volumes (imported commodore sales will drop considerably over local made one), will be nothing compared to the hit they will take to the cashflow. This will require big reductions in Dealer Network and other Corporate areas.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #47
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
When has Holden ever been original
G'day , I agree .. Ford was the same..Have You Driven a ford Lately was in America too..I liked the campaign but it was a copy of the US version..In this clip you see and hear both versions..Both are great...kind of sad to watch actually..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEeor3kbKM
The Holden/ GM (USA) Meat pies , hotdogs etc is the same as you say..probably find it on YT. On Holden ads , anyone remember this one for Monaro...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObB6DehViE .. Perhaps a bit more Aussie than U.S. .Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #48
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Don't remember it, but there is no mistaking what car they are advertising. Unlike most ads today which hardly feature any content about the car itself, but lots of connectivity, funky happenings, and references to good times.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Saurkraut, deer and holden cars?

Then it can change to frogs legs, french hens and holden cars?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #50
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

French hens? By that do you mean women with hairy arm pits?
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #51
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Frog Legs, Garden Snails and Holden cars
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #52
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Frog Legs, Garden Snails and Holden cars
Don't knock the snails untill you have tried them. In garlic butter they kind of taste like steak, but have the consistency of a mushroom. Strange, and I'd take a scotch fillet any day of the week, but it's an experience. Frogs legs, hairy armpits and holden cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fetchez la Vache!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV0LGMGuLN0
Old 17-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #54
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden seem to nail the marketing side of things which means that they are able to reach out to most of the buying general public who believe anything they are told.

Most of the general public seem to be the following sheep type and with enough BS fed to them, they will take the bait and believe they have made the right decision after purchasing a vehicle since the Salesman said it was the best car out there.

Of course the more intelligent car enthusiast can see through this however unfortunately they make up a very small minority of buyers these days.

It would probably be best in terms of a business decision to **** of the very small amount of car enthusiasts which they can probably afford to lose sales from instead of spin the web to lure in more of the clueless typical customer to make a quick dollar.

At the end of the day, if Joe Blog can get sucked into the typical advertising and sales pitch and end up purchasing a Holden product for him to boast about and spread the word to all of his other clueless friends who may eventually end up buying another Holden product then so be it.

Marketing spin and BS is the king of business these days which ultimately makes more money for the bigger guys who can perfect this to make the money roll in. It is what it is and if Holden have got this down pat then they will obviously reep the rewards etc.

A real shame for the people who know a thing or two but it is what it is and I suppose we just have to accept it
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #55
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Fwd euro style crap. Just like just about everything else on the market.

I'd rather kick and angry tiger in the balls.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #56
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Only experience with fwd has been Toyotas and rental Hyundai/kia. RWD experience, Falcons, Commodores and BMW's. Maybe if I try a properly sorted fwd car I may be converted.
Doesn't matter the flavour. All FWD cars are ultimately compromised.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #57
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only people who’ll miss the old local built Commodore is the V8 crowd.

Even though I have no interest in FWD vehicles this new recruit is most likely every bit as good as the outgoing V6 variants.

Will it sell?

I find it an interesting insight into where Holdens mentality is at the moment.

I can certainly see their point about the luxury makers. Some of the worst cars on our roads are bottom end BMW's and Mercs.

But then they come out with the statement that they are trying to hide the fact that it's FWD.
Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #58
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And in related news:
King Gee have announced plans to take on the fashion houses of Europe with their new up-market line of wife-beaters, featuring a diamanté Southern Cross.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #59
Optional

I think the car looks pretty good. Aesthetics wise.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #60
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
And in related news:
King Gee have announced plans to take on the fashion houses of Europe with their new up-market line of wife-beaters, featuring a diamanté Southern Cross.
Do they come with a sequined leg pocket too !!!!!!!...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post