Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
ford12

Default coolant / glycol tester

Hi all
Does anyone have any advice on the best tool to get to test the coolant.
Thanks
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: coolant / glycol tester

You'd do better to change the coolant at specified intervals given the price of the stuff, rather than worrying about the concentration level.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
ford12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
You'd do better to change the coolant at specified intervals given the price of the stuff, rather than worrying about the concentration level.
Not worried about the price. More worried if fraud have done the right thing or not
Old 27-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Concentration is everything - there is a thread on here covering this.

I have Castrol test strips - like a litmus type of thing, the colour shows glycol level and alkaline level.
The garage I help out has a tool that you smear some coolant on a sightglass and look through it in the light, and it shows you the percentage glycol.

Probably easiest to go to a garage and ask them for a quick test - takes a minute. You're looking around the mid 30's percentage wise.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I finished my apprenticeship at Cummins we used to use these little test strips that u dip into the header tank during a service.

Depending on the colour of the strip it would give u an indication of weather to change the coolant or not.

Cummins use steel piston liners that were tapped into the cylinder block and used big o-rings around the liner to seal bottom and top areas.......The area in between used to get a thing called electrolysis where the outside of the liners (exposed to very hot coolant and all the combustion heat) were wet and the coolant would heat up bubble and make holes/pitting in the liners.

Used to see it alot on very expensive rebuilds where everything was changed over......Most trucks do about 1 million kilometers before requiring major overhaul.

But good old cast iron block engines like the mighty Ford I6 dont suffer from this and the glycol stops coolant from freezing and also from getting too hot. Corrosion inhibitors stop parts like thermostat and water pump impeller and steel coolant pipes and heater core from corroding away.

Check workshop manuals for change intervals or ask mechanic for a quick test.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 27-05-2017 at 06:53 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Concentration is everything - there is a thread on here covering this.

I have Castrol test strips - like a litmus type of thing, the colour shows glycol level and alkaline level.
The garage I help out has a tool that you smear some coolant on a sightglass and look through it in the light, and it shows you the percentage glycol.

Probably easiest to go to a garage and ask them for a quick test - takes a minute. You're looking around the mid 30's percentage wise.
I forgot I've got one of those...........
Shows how often I use it!
You can also test your brake fluid with the same tool.
It requires cleaning with distilled water before & after use.

An example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATC-Glyco...YAAOSwFNZWxWor
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
I forgot I've got one of those...........
Shows how often I use it!
You can also test your brake fluid with the same tool.
It requires cleaning with distilled water before & after use.

An example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATC-Glyco...YAAOSwFNZWxWor
Yes they test your brake fluid for water contamination on roadworthy tests.
Old 27-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If it's glycol base this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycol-Re...cAAOSw1DtXLHwG or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CPS-REFRA...QAAOSwjqVZGj-S
Old 27-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

That tool is called a refractrometer
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 02:41 AM   #10
MattSAU2XR8

Test strips as I recall are good for green coolant, but not necessarily red - the red can apparently be working OK even if test strip says not!

With the green coolant being so cheap I'd suggest just drop the coolant every 3 years and refill with 50 % glycol concentrate and 50 % distilled water.

If you do it this often there shouldn't be any need to use flushing compound.

Most jap bikes use 50 % glycol concentrate and the coolant galleries and radiators are usually immaculate when pulled down
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
When I finished my apprenticeship at Cummins we used to use these little test strips that u dip into the header tank during a service.

Depending on the colour of the strip it would give u an indication of weather to change the coolant or not.

Cummins use steel piston liners that were tapped into the cylinder block and used big o-rings around the liner to seal bottom and top areas.......The area in between used to get a thing called electrolysis where the outside of the liners (exposed to very hot coolant and all the combustion heat) were wet and the coolant would heat up bubble and make holes/pitting in the liners.

Used to see it alot on very expensive rebuilds where everything was changed over......Most trucks do about 1 million kilometers before requiring major overhaul.
Yes, was a big problem particularly with V 903 liners around the lower seals, mine included. Gotta keep the coolant up.

Often wondered whether using waterless coolant would fix this old problem ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes, was a big problem particularly with V 903 liners around the lower seals, mine included. Gotta keep the coolant up.

Often wondered whether using waterless coolant would fix this old problem ?
Yes the good old V903......Apparently they stopped making them because they were too reliable...... Only Mack and Scania make V8's now.

If i were you i would run genuine Cummins coolant that they recommend for the 903.
Old 28-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
BigJamo
Yep ... BOOSTED

Thanks for the ebay info, cheers.
2014 (Feb) FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
6 speed Manual
BigJamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
ford12

Just got some penrite test strips from repco.
Thanks all for your feedback.