Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
LeMans

Default Helicopter tape

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone where I might buy helicopter tape in the Melbourne area? Helicopter tape is the clear chip-resitant tape that was originaly designed to put on the leading edge of a helicopter blade. Its now used more often on the noses of cars to stop stone chips.

LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The helicopter tape is also known as the invisable car bra. From reports not the best of products and stick with a genuwiune car bra. Here is the link to the discussion.: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=39552

Here is a link to what LeMans is talking about: http://www.stonegard.com.au/main5.html

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

LeMans - have you looked at the "POR-15" products? They have a clearcoat, I think it was called 'glisten pc' or something; which I have seen for myself. I took my key and sliced a mark into a piece of aluminium - and could not for the life of me chip or scratch the end of it that had been painted with this stuff.

From memory, it is painted on like a clear coat - it runs so smooth and level before it sets that it could even be applied with a * brush * and was supposedly completely UV stable too; and so rock hard that you'll never get chips or swirls, or even a need to pollish it again. Sadly my old-fashioned panel shop wouldn't touch it; but I highly recommend you look into it, especially if you are talking about the fibreglass car in your avatar.

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PRIMER...3/Default.aspx
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Car bra may be a better option. From the experience I've had with the clear tape, it has a habit of yellowing, and tearing the paint off on removal.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
DW260

We have blade tape at work for our helicopters - funnily enough. Trust me, it's the last thing you would want to use as a stone-guard.

But if you've got your heart set on it it's made by 3M, at least the stuff we use is, and I've seen it in most large hardware stores.
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
LeMans - have you looked at the "POR-15" products? They have a clearcoat, I think it was called 'glisten pc' or something; which I have seen for myself. I took my key and sliced a mark into a piece of aluminium - and could not for the life of me chip or scratch the end of it that had been painted with this stuff.

From memory, it is painted on like a clear coat - it runs so smooth and level before it sets that it could even be applied with a * brush * and was supposedly completely UV stable too; and so rock hard that you'll never get chips or swirls, or even a need to pollish it again. Sadly my old-fashioned panel shop wouldn't touch it; but I highly recommend you look into it, especially if you are talking about the fibreglass car in your avatar.

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PRIMER...3/Default.aspx
I know of Glisten being used on aluminium but I've never heard of it being used on paint. Thanks for the advice though. I'll look into it.

A couple of people have suggested that helicopter tape shouldn't be used. May I ask why? Is there an inherent problem with it? I'm told that the new Viper has it on its nose. I have even seen cars with what I understood to be clear helicopter tape and it looked OK to me, in fact I didn't even notice it was there until it was pointed out to me.

A conventional car bra is not really practical in my case. The car gets some track use and this is where most chips occur. I'm not sure that the bra would stand the high speeds on the track, and even if it did it would effect the aerodynamics.
Old 18-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
LeMans

PS. I did read the previous discussion on this topic
Old 18-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Carbras only do more damage then good keep away from them. Clear stuff would be good
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post