Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Roll starting

With the system now where the clutch has to be depressed to start the engine,is it possible to roll start a vehicle now.Does the clutch in mode only isolate the starter motor or does it immobilise the whole ign system.If it immobilises the whole system then, I guess when the clutch is engaged without the engine running then, there will be no ignition power supply so therefore no start!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Roll starting

It would be a real PITA to restart the engine every time you changed gear.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
It would be a real PITA to restart the engine every time you changed gear.
I know the immobiliser is overridden when the engine is running,but what about before the engine starts
Old 06-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Marshall!!!!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you suggesting you can't start these things in neutral or in gear with the clutch out?

That would suck, how could you drive the car if it had a broken clutch cable?

Is "roll start" Tasmanian for "clutch start" in Australian or does roll start have a different meaning down there?

My first post was a bit tongue in cheek because I thought you were joking but now I'm not so sure, these modern cars keep catching me out.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

(Avoiding semantics) I have a car that will start by letting out the clutch as it is rolling.

However, when starting normally, the car will not start unless the clutch is fully depressed.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you suggesting you can't start these things in neutral or in gear with the clutch out?

That would suck, how could you drive the car if it had a broken clutch cable?

Is "roll start" Tasmanian for "clutch start" in Australian or does roll start have a different meaning down there?

My first post was a bit tongue in cheek because I thought you were joking but now I'm not so sure, these modern cars keep catching me out.
Yes roll start is the same as clutch start.I don,t have a new enough vehicle,but I understand that newer manuals won,t start unless the clutch is pushed down.( I was going to say depressed ,but thought you might pick on me again) Sort of same with autos,won,t go into or out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed
Old 06-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sort of same with autos,won,t go into or out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed
Really! How long has that been going on?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some euros have had it for decades, we had a Volvo s60 circa 2000 that had it.
Much newer s80 has it.

I don't think the zf has this feature though, its a mechanical lockout and you can feel it in both the pedal and gear lever.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My wifes I30 hyundai auto has it and it,s a 2010 model,so it,s been around for a while.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yes roll start is the same as clutch start.I don,t have a new enough vehicle,but I understand that newer manuals won,t start unless the clutch is pushed down.( I was going to say depressed ,but thought you might pick on me again) Sort of same with autos,won,t go into or out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed
I see where you're coming from. Basically the need to depress the clutch only operates a switch on the clutch pedal (similar to the brake light switch) that allows the starter to crank. If you don't depress the clutch, you can turn the key, but it won't crank. It's been around 20+ years on Asian-made manual cars, possibly longer. First car I came across with it was the X3 Excel - the model that saw Hyundai's massive growth from 95-2000 with the ever-plummeting "drive away" deals that co-incided with tariff cuts.

Anyway, the "lockout" on them pretty much only affects the signal from the key to the starter - it simply won't crank. Everything else works as normal - hell you could even hot-wiire the starter trigger and it would start fine.

So clutch-starting is not an issue in them - it doesn't cut ignition/fuel/ecu power.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
My32Doors

Quote:
Sort of same with autos,won,t go into or out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed
Just checked my Ranger for this. It's an electrical interlock which means that you have to have brake pedal depressed AS WELL AS ignition on, to be able to take it out of park. I tried to shift out of park by depressing brake pedal with ignition off and no go. I also tried to leave in neutral but key is locked in the ignition until it's in park. Tried these also with handbrake on and off - no difference. Does this mean that if you have a dead battery, then you are stuck in park which means towing or even a tilt tray is no go?
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My32Doors View Post
Just checked my Ranger for this. It's an electrical interlock which means that you have to have brake pedal depressed AS WELL AS ignition on, to be able to take it out of park. I tried to shift out of park by depressing brake pedal with ignition off and no go. I also tried to leave in neutral but key is locked in the ignition until it's in park. Tried these also with handbrake on and off - no difference. Does this mean that if you have a dead battery, then you are stuck in park which means towing or even a tilt tray is no go?
No you aren,t stuck in park as there is a manual override on the electronic park lock.Only useful to push the car off the road because you still have to get a jump start or change battery to get going
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i have often wondered myself, as my car is the same.
can i clutch or call Marshall?
autho the wife Hyundai is the same that can be clutched my one is push button not key and has electric park brake..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
My32Doors

Quote:
No you aren,t stuck in park as there is a manual override on the electronic park lock.Only useful to push the car off the road because you still have to get a jump start or change battery to get going
Ah ha that's what that little cover hides. Thanks Tassie.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post