Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2019 Volvo V60

Quote:
Volvo just debuted its all-new midsize wagon, the 2019 Volvo V60, and yes, it’s as pretty as we suspected. But more importantly, it offers a 390 horsepower plug-in hybrid powertrain—you know, in case you want to hoon sensibly.

I’m in Stockholm, Sweden, where Volvo is debuting its V60 mid-size wagon in the driveway of a suburban home (the car’s “natural habitat,” Volvo admits). While I haven’t yet seen the car in person, the official press pictures show a beautiful V90-esque profile with “Thor’s Hammer” headlights, an aggressive lower fascia, and an elegant, low-slung side profile.

Like the XC90, XC60, S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country, the V60 will be built on the company’s Scalable Product Architecture, and will offer a number of common powertrains including a powerful T8 “Twin-Engine” plug-in hybrid.

That T8 hybrid powertrain is similar to the one found in the XC90, S60 and XC60 sold stateside. In those applications, the front wheels are driven by a 313 horsepower supercharged and turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, which has an Integrated Starter Generator sandwiched between it and an eight-speed automatic (the ISG charges the battery and cranks the engine during start-stop events). In the new V60, this setup is largely the same, except power output drops 10 HP to 303.

The rear wheels, like in Volvo’s other T8 offerings, get power from a 65 kW electric motor mounted to the axle. This, combined with the twin-charged engine up front, yields an overall output of 390 HP (versus 400 in other applications).

Also available on the new V60 will be a 340 HP T6 Twin Engine AWD plug-in hybrid, a 310 HP T6 AWD gas option, a 150 HP front-drive D3 diesel and a 190 HP front-drive D4. A regular front-wheel drive T5 gas car will also be an option, though Volvo doesn’t mention output (for reference, in other Volvo products, the T5 makes roughly 250 HP).

The company hasn’t made it clear exactly which of the hybrid powertrains will come to the U.S. (we know the T5 and T6 gas cars will be coming, but the diesels—which are the only powertrains to offer a manual trans—will not), though Volvo’s spokesperson tells me he’s doubtful it will be the T8. (We’ll update this story when we find out).

Of course, with this being Volvo, the press release mentions a number of standard safety features common with those found in the XC60 and the 90 Series, including City Safety (which can recognize cyclists, pedestrians and animals and now actually apply the brakes to avoid a crash), Pilot Assist (which helps with steering, acceleration and braking on “well-marked roads” up to about 81 mph), Run-off Road Mitigation (which helps the car stay in the lane) and Oncoming Lane Mitigation (which prevents crashes with cars in the oncoming lane).

The new V60, and especially this whole “Welcome To Suburbia”-themed event is definitely very Volvo. But that’s not a bad thing. With a 390 horsepower engine in a relatively small package (it still weighs around 4,600 pounds all loaded up—not light, but still less than the XC90 that shares essentially the same top powertrain), the V60 has the potential to be a lot of fun. Hopefully Volvo gets back to me with good news; Americans need a 390 HP mid-size wagon in their lives. Everyone does.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volvo-...rid-1823185659

Very good looking car. Not in my budget right now but wouldn't say no to the plug in hybrid (did i really just say that?)
Old 23-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: 2019 Volvo V60

that is stunning
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Very nice, though i do hope the RHD model has the plug on the drivers side to

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
adz137

I do love my wagons and that is one good looking wagon especially the back. My boss has a brand new Audi S4 wagon and that is also just stunning.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very different interior to Volvo usual fare. Not sure I'd like it but something you need to see in the flesh I think.

-90 Is more interesting to me. 60 series are a bit cramped.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz137 View Post
I do love my wagons and that is one good looking wagon especially the back. My boss has a brand new Audi S4 wagon and that is also just stunning.
I would own one these in a flash! Love Volvo’s(bloody Volvo drivers!) Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's amazing what Chinese ownership and capital has done to this brand, much like Indian ownership and capital for JLR.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

What a Stunning car.

I’d love one
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The current Volvo Corporate design is excellent.
This look fantastic
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Outside is pretty decent, the inside is bloody boring as F!!!!.
Old 27-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good to me. The power outputs look pretty healthy for a standard car that is not performance orientated in any way.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post