Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Hail damaged cars.

Does anyone know how much it roughly costs for the dent removal guys to bring up a hail damaged car back to normal?

Thinking of a new car but at the moment I'm sort of just considering a stop gap to get out of my current car and into an interim car so I'm trying to save a little money as well as get into a decent car.

City Ford have a number of hail damaged cars, a couple of XR8's and unsure of an XR6 or a T. Looking XR8 or XR6T only. I don't think the damage is all that bad (can't tell from the road travelling past) so what would be a decent guesstimate for repair and a decent discount?

TIA.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Usually the going rate is about $80 a dint...

My mums Sp20 got hit up in a hail storm a month or so ago and has 14 dints, cost $1100 to repair it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Mudzy
1965 GT MUSTANG

My Ba XR 6 has about 25-30 hits on it in this week for 2 weeks to repair
Old 15-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Kryton

last quote i got from Ausdent was around $50-60 a pop.
depends if the markdown is great enough to make it worth it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Usually the going rate is about $80 a dint...

My mums Sp20 got hit up in a hail storm a month or so ago and has 14 dints, cost $1100 to repair it.
hence why cars are commonly wroten off due to hail damage

AFAIK you can never get full comp insurance with a car that you knowingly bought with hail damage, or hail damage repair
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

So why don't the dealer fix these cars if there not that badly dented.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

because it would cost too much $ for them to do it. they wont be able to sell the cars as new vehicles, they would have to be sold as demo's, and they just wouldnt be able to make money on it...
Old 15-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I guess it's not an option then, I'd never buy a car that I couldn't comprehensively insure. I had also wondered why the dealer wouldn't repair the cars and now I know why. Thanks for the replies.

I'm prob just going to look for an XR6T for around the $35 mark and get it tricked up.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
because it would cost too much $ for them to do it. they wont be able to sell the cars as new vehicles, they would have to be sold as demo's, and they just wouldnt be able to make money on it...
I seen cars come into the dealer with damage on them from been transport & they fix them & sell them brand new.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Shaynet XR6 copped a floggen in the centrel coast hail storm, he got one of these dent mobs to fix it, I think he paid about $700 car came back better than it was before it got the hail on it!! Very inpressed, go for it mate if you can get a good deal I'd say it's worth it>>IMO

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

they quite possibly do, but they shouldnt AFAIK
i couldnt be a used car salesman.... the guilt from that kind of crap would get to me

imagine when the person finds out that there new pride and joy was damaged in transit
Old 15-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #12
rob_o

Yeah if the roof is badly damaged then it will cost a lot to fix. You gotta weigh up the cost for the car + repair as compared to just buying a normal one. Sometimes you save, other times maybe not.

And yes, its true about not being able to get full insurance if you have existing hail damage on the car.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
chippa6
Novice Professional

My old 4WD got hit about 18 months ago, and the dent guys fixed the roof and a few of the wheel flares, but the bonnet was replaced cause when he tried to push them out the metal was popping in and out too far.

I even heard of a few cars getting their complete roof skin replaced - all under insurance

- I must admit that when I got the 4WD back it was as good as new.
Amazing how they do it.

Chippa
Old 16-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #14
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what sort of prices are they looking at for the cars rodp???
Old 16-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
what sort of prices are they looking at for the cars rodp???
At the moment, their standard reply is 'Make an offer'. I guess they're hoping that someone underestimates the damage.

I've completely lost interest since I can't comprehensively insure a hail damaged car.

Still juggling finances and still have to check how much I still owe on my current car, but as many have prob experienced in the past, while I do enjoy my current car I've got that new car itch.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #16
rob_o

I went to all my local dealers 2 days after the bad hail we got not long ago and no-one could give me a price because the assessors havent had a look yet. They told me they would have all the prices by now though. I noticed last weekend that Central Coast Motor Group was having a "hail sale"
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Went today to have a closer look. A couple of XR8's with a few dints, nothing major. Few XT's but not looking for an XT. According to the sales rep I spoke to, provided the hail damage is repaired before delivery then insurance shouldn't be a problem. They have the guys lined up to do the repairs and Allianz (from memory) will state that the damage was repaired before delivery.

They shipped off the heavily damaged cars to auction. Couple of nice XR8's in there but I'm starting to dull on the idea of an interim car. Whack a few decent payments on my current car to get the payoff figure way down and start looking around for a manual red GT.

The salesman was a V8 man as well, and while he did like the XR6T's, he said he'd much prefer the 8.
Old 16-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
XRQTOR
Banned

Our manager at work has a camry(Company car). It got hit by hail pretty badly in the airport carpark, it cost $38oo to get fixed. Insurance covered it but i'd hate to pay that if it wasn't insured.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post