Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
Chunkal
Starter Motor

Default Places to Wrench in Launceston

To begin, I apologize. My current vehicle of concern is a 1990 econovan (although I have a falcon at home). I'm in the beautiful Tasmania on a mature gentlemans adventure holiday and opted to increase the adventure factor by bringing a cheaply purchased van as accommodation and transport. Much wrenching has been done to get us to this point (both at home and en route), but now we need to change the rad, water pump and head gasket. I'm looking for any suggestions on where I might be able to do this. I have all the tools I need, and the parts in a couple of days but don't want to be harassed mid operation as will probably happen if I proceed in the parts store car park. Would be happy with any friendly situation - a car port, hose access or a place to wee would be a bonus (although will work around those situations). Happy to chip in for beer/grocery money if it's private property. Trying mid this week or mid next week if that doesn't pan out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Alex
Chunkal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Places to Wrench in Launceston

You may be better off posting this in The Pub, where there's a lot more traffic so to speak

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Old 01-02-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
Chunkal
Starter Motor

Default Places to Wrench in Launceston

To begin, I apologize if this is off topic. My current vehicle of concern is a 1990 econovan (although I have a falcon at home). I'm in the beautiful Tasmania on a mature gentlemans adventure holiday and opted to increase the adventure factor by bringing a cheaply purchased van as accommodation and transport. Much wrenching has been done to get us to this point (both at home and en route), but now we need to change the rad, water pump and head gasket. I'm looking for any suggestions on where I might be able to do this. I have all the tools I need, and the parts in a couple of days but don't want to be harassed mid operation as will probably happen if I proceed in the parts store car park. Would be happy with any friendly situation - a car port, hose access or a place to wee would be a bonus (although will work around those situations). Happy to chip in for beer/grocery money if it's private property. Trying mid this week or mid next week if that doesn't pan out. Thanks in advance for any advice. Alex
Old 09-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Look for something close-ish to Invermay Rd, if possible. That minimises walking if you need anything - there’s Pep’s, Repco, Supercrap, Merv Gray and Beechey’s all close by. Tasma Upholsters or McNulty Joinery both have a bit of off-street space.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw this post.Bunnings big carpark is only a 5 minute walk from PABS in Invermay rd or Supercheap couple of minutes further, or Autobarn and Repco another 5 mins away near Kmart
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, I meant Pab’s - Pep’s is Gladesville, Sydney...

The Bunnies carpark is theoretically part of the “CarePark” business. I’ve noted plenty of travellers using it for digs in the past, though.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I've always had good results working on stuff in caravan parks
(not the resort type ones)
Most owner/operators are very helpful as long as you tell them what you need to do and of course don't leave a mess.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is ok,but there aren,t any parts shops anywhere near the caravan parks in Launceston,although having said that it is only about a half hour walk from most of outer Lonnie to the city centre

Last edited by Tassie f100; 09-02-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 09-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
That is ok,but there aren,t any parts shops anywhere near the caravan parks in Launceston,although having said that it is only about a half hour walk from most of outer Lonnie to the city centre
If he already has all the parts what else does he need. A bicycle will get you down the shops. Ask me how I know. ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon you are going to tell me anyway lol
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s actually a great area for cycling. Really good.

The biggest issue is prevalence of gratuitous vandalism and opportunistic theft, mostly close to the bogan rat-runs between town and the suburbs of Ravo, Mayfield, Rocherlea. So being a little bit out-of-the-way whilst also close by, is a good strategy.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #12
MercuryT
Banned

Go to the Gorge Carpark.

It's a tourist area and you won't get hassled at all.

Facilities all close and i reckon ideal spot to work.

Good luck.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
Chunkal
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I think I'm going with Bunnings - I'm a tradie of sorts so I feel ok about using their facilities after all the money I've spent with them.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkal View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I think I'm going with Bunnings - I'm a tradie of sorts so I feel ok about using their facilities after all the money I've spent with them.
Great choice but don't be surprised if you're asked to move on. It is private property but as previous good luck!
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post